Dai Dark

I wrote a review of Dai Dark here: https://longhandhabits.com/2019/11/01/dai-dark-and-bad-beginnings/
Long story short, the art is great, but there's no tension or direction.

@superbird Dude, it's been like 7 chapters. I'm not sure if you can render a verdict yet. Did you read Dorohedoro? It is developing in a similar way (not surprisingly). Dorohedoro was more about being along for the quirky, often grotesque, strangely heartwarming ride than about having a really targeted plot. I rate it very highly, even though the story was at times incoherent and the ending was a bit underwhelming. By the end I cared way more about the characters' interactions than about the mystery of hole. I'll say the beginning isn't catching me as much as Dorohedoro did, but, given how much I enjoyed Dorohedoro, I'm willing to give Dai Dark the benefit of the doubt for quite a while until it has developed a bit more. I also think series like these two work better being read all at once rather than in installments, but that's just my opinion. Some of the incoherence of the chapters is less confusing when you read them back to back.

@EazyGreazy I agree with you-- I loved Dorohedoro too, and I also think it's kind of muddled. My review is pretty much a fleshed out version of your comment (lol). It's more like an analysis of story beginnings. I used Dorohedoro for comparison to show how differently the series are using the same elements. The criticisms Dorohedoro got-- that the story was incoherent and had a lot of irrelevant side stories (though it was part of the fun)-- I think are more valid later in the series. My beef here is that Dorohedoro's problems are already present in Dai Dark, and we're ONLY 7 chapters in. There's also some other stuff in Dai Dark that seems like it could be a problem later on, too.

The world is awesome. It's like Hylics and Dorohedoro had a baby and that baby went to space. But the story feels like Hayashida is winging the story week by week, and I'm not sure where she's going with it. I'm still reading, but I'm getting irritated.

Dex-chan lover
A nice change of pace from the usual isekai trash that I read.

Fed-Kun's army
Does anyone know when does the magazine this manga comes out in release and how often do scanlators work on it?

I've been in love with Hayashida's artstyle ever since I first laid my eyes on dorohedero. Hellish features, skulls and flesh feels all so natural in a sci-fi setting like space. Simply put i adore this.

Fun but I hate keeping up with monthlys and I'm already reading too many. I might just put this on hold for a year and binge all the chapters at once. Luckily there aren't that many characters and the story isn't to hard to follow between hiatuses.

Users who are viewing this thread