Damedol to Sekai ni Hitori Dake no Fan - Ch. 18 - Jumping Ship Pt2.

simple but lovely when a misunderstanding is used to propel the story forward rather than to stall it out

KINOOOOOOOOOOO MY FUCKING MC RRRAAAGHHHHHHHH

DUMB SNAKE BITCH SUCCESSFULLY BTFO'D

A TOAST TO KIMICHAD AND URUGOAT MY FRIENDS.
A7fdUjI.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Would you consider writing it out literally as "8 billion"? It's still relatively short and carries the same weight as the original (which is just around the population of the world, feels intentional). 80 thousand and 800 thousand feels a little weak in comparison.

btw love the scans, keep up the good work 👍
I mentioned on the Reddit thread that I wanted to use a lot of zeroes in the first bubble it was said but 8,000,000,000 wouldn't have fit without looking squished which is why I put 8,000,000.
I've just woken up, so I'll try a couple of different ways to get the full 8 billion. I didn't think it would be that much of a sticking point for people😅

Dex-chan lover
I mentioned on the Reddit thread that I wanted to use a lot of zeroes in the first bubble it was said but 8,000,000,000 wouldn't have fit without looking squished which is why I put 8,000,000.
I've just woken up, so I'll try a couple of different ways to get the full 8 billion. I didn't think it would be that much of a sticking point for people😅
ahh that makes a bit more sense with that reasoning. I used to not be a stickler for details like that until I started working with a small scanlation group, and over time they helped me realize that straying too far from the original text could easily end up being a bit confusing and not what the author intended

Dex-chan lover
ahh that makes a bit more sense with that reasoning. I used to not be a stickler for details like that until I started working with a small scanlation group, and over time they helped me realize that straying too far from the original text could easily end up being a bit confusing and not what the author intended
Pages 6 and 7 have been updated to get the full billion. I lost my zeros, but hopefully now everyone is happy.

Dex-chan lover
Bit of A, bit of B.
The original number was actually 8,000,000,000 (literally 80 100 millions, 80億) but I took off three zeros in the previous bubble because it was too long and wouldn't fit cleanly. Then when I was doing that second panel I reverted back to Japanese numerals and put 80 because it was right in front of me, then thousand (for some reason).

Long story short, I fucking hate how Japanese divide their zeros for new units. A new unit at 10,000 and then a new unit at 100,000,000. It's so confusing. Though at least it isn't as bad as French because that's an absolute shitshow.
At least it isn't Roman Numerals. 8 billion would be literally 8 million Ms.

Dex-chan lover
Long story short, I fucking hate how Japanese divide their zeros for new units. A new unit at 10,000 and then a new unit at 100,000,000. It's so confusing. Though at least it isn't as bad as French because that's an absolute shitshow.

It's not that confusing once you know where each "unit" starts. Technically they aren't units, they're prefixes and suffixes that form the word for a number. Which is why the prefix become the suffix for the next set of "units". The problem is when people use the international numerals with the suffix, making the suffix a "unit".

It's quicker to understand because you get what the number is in a minimal number of syllables or written characters, even for huge numbers. Strictly speaking it's still a decimal system too. The international decimal system meanwhile isn't designed for readability, it's designed for mathematical formulation. You would never mistake 8,000 for 80,000 and likewise for 800,000, unless you wrote it also using international numerals ofc.

If your problem is remembering which point are the new suffixes, it's just every 10^4. It's the same as English using 10^3 instead for every new '-illion' (and it didn't always).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's not that confusing once you know where each "unit" starts....

...If your problem is remembering which point are the new suffixes, it's just every 10^4. It's the same as English using 10^3 instead for every new '-illion' (and it didn't always).
When almost every Japanese person still has to count each unit for large numbers to figure out how to correctly read them, I get the feeling it isn't as easy as you say it is, seeing as they are generally written in the English 10^3 format but read in the Japanese 10^4 format.

Dex-chan lover
When almost every Japanese person still has to count each unit for large numbers to figure out how to correctly read them, I get the feeling it isn't as easy as you say it is, seeing as they are generally written in the English 10^3 format but read in the Japanese 10^4 format.
You say this as if we didn't have to count our digits to figure out if 8000000000000 is eight hundred billions, eight trillions, or eighty trillions. It's precisely why we have thousands separators, and the only reason the Japanese use them (instead of "ten thousands separators"), is because of Western influence.

Have you ever met those entitled assholes who would visit a foreign country and then complain that "these locals should learn English already"? I've met quite a few of them. Now imagine how they'd behave if they had to pay JPY 1'0000 for something only to later realize those are 10 thousand yen, not just 1 thousand.

If it weren't for the West, the Japanese would have absolutely no problem writing 8 billion as 80'0000'0000. After all:
8万 => 8'0000
8億 => 8'0000'0000
8兆 => 8'0000'0000'0000
8京 => 8'0000'0000'0000'0000

It's really no different from us with our:
8 thousand => 8'000
8 million => 8'000'000
8 billion => 8'000'000'000

You think a new unit for 10 000 and another for 100 000 000 is confusing? Wait until you learn that English has a new unit for every multiple of 10 from 20 to 90, as well as a new unit for every number from 11 to 19. Imagine if we could just say "2 ten" instead of "twenty", just like we say "2 hundred" instead of "twindred". Or if we could say "ten 2" instead of "twelve", like we say "twenty 2" instead of "twotwenny". That said, I don't see how "ninety" is any less confusing than the French "four-twenty-ten". At the end of the day, they're both unique names for a number that should've been "9 ten" from the start.

If you really want confusing numbers, look at German. They spell 21 as "one-and-twenty". Imagine having to take notes on the phone, being told "1 thousand 2 hundred 4 and 30", and hesitating every single time after the "hundred" because you're not sure if that "four" is a 40 or not. In a way, it's actually better than English, because at least in German you always expect this. In English, you hear a "nine", expect "ninety", but get "nineteen" instead.

But we're straying off topic. You were saying something about numbers being confusing? Yes, I agree they are confusing.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You say this as if we didn't have to...

But we're straying off topic. You were saying something about numbers being confusing? Yes, I agree they are confusing.
Bro, what are you even talking about? I never said the Japanese numbers themselves were difficult to read just that seeing them in the English 10^3 system and reading it in the Japanese 10^4 system is annoying and constantly involves counting the individual units to figure out.
For example, the number shown as "123,456,789,123,456" using arabic numerals as they are in English but being read in Japanese will always have me and practically every Japanese person counting from the right "Okay, so; ichi, juu, hyaku, sen, man, ju-man, etc."

Users who are viewing this thread