Dansan Joshi - Vol. 4 Ch. 49.1 - Mizu Asato Goes To Battleship Island

Group Leader
Might want to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the author is female, did the author use male pronounce during this chapter or am I missing something?

Contributor
Might want to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the author is female, did the author use male pronounce during this chapter or am I missing something?

It's a fair question. I have now spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out Mizu Asato's gender, and I'm still not sure.

"Asato" is definitely a female name, but this could easily be a pseudonym. On the other hand, Mizu's avatar in this chapter does strike me as distinctly male. I've also found a blog post of a fan who went to a Mizu Asato autograph signing, and they explicitly describe the author as a guy (the exact word they used is "oniisan", meaning older brother). I haven't been able to find a single picture of the author though, and the only video I've found only show their hands (which, for the record, look more male than female to me). None of the biographies I've come across mention much about their personal life, other than place of birth and blood type.

As for pronouns, the only first-person pronoun used by Mizu Asato in this chapter is a single instance of "watashi", which while somewhat feminine, can be used by both men and women. They also tend to avoid gendered pronouns in interviews, instead often opting for the neutral "jibun" (myself) where most people would use a normal first-person pronoun. On Twitter, they seem to use a mix of "watashi", "jibun", "boku", and "ore", the latter two being distinctly male.

So yeah, I'm not sure. I actually did consider using female or neutral pronouns for this chapter, but ended up going for male pronouns mostly due to they way Mizu's avatar looks, and the scattered evidence I found of them being a guy. It could just be that I suck at Google though, and I certainly didn't read all 27k of their tweets to dig up more information. If anyone has evidence of them being (or identifying as) a woman, I'll go back and edit the chapter.

The cover of volume one of sekai seifuku has a picture of the back of a woman's head above Mizu Asatos introduction, & it looks like she's drawing on a tablet. it certainly seems to insinuate that it's a picture of Mizu Asato, but it could be an assistant. The way their character is drawn in the afterword also somehow seems more feminine.

That seems to be fairly solid evidence in favor of Asato-sensei being a girl, but now I'm embarrassed about looking this up too so I'll just leave it at that.

Could it be that Sensei from Denki-gai no Honya-san is a representation of how Mizu sees herself? I mean, because of the lack of "feminity" the character has and how she's aware of that; Mizu's avatar may be a result of how she sees herself (not being femenine). Also, Mizu's twitter profile pic is Sensei.

Maybe it's too much overthinking, but I always tought the author was male and now I think it's possible female.

Contributor
After thinking about it some more, I went back and changed a couple of lines to remove the gendered pronouns. I do still suspect that Mizu Asato is a guy, but it also seems they're being purposefully secretive about their identity and gender, and I don't think it's my place to tip the scales one way or another based on some loose assumptions.

With that out of the way, please look forward to more dick jokes!

Dex-chan lover
so both the mangaka and the editor of this manga are elegant ladies , then who came up with the idea for this pervert , dirty , disgusting manga ? Lol .

i think mizu asato is a girl :

- in this chapter , she doesnt use the 1st-person pronouns "I" , "me" , but uses the 3rd-person pronouns instead : "Mizu" , "Mizu Asato" , "she" , because they sound cuter .

- in page 4 , she is blushing and swooning at the hot male captain .

- page 5 : victory sign near the eye is a cute , girly gesture :

51ZfxSRhBQL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread