Darwin's Game - Vol. 20 Ch. 79

Group Leader
Still love how the author can inject character growth this late in the story.

@Arkos Ooo, someone is salty. Look, the author didn't say Japanese steel is strong. He said Japanese sword manufacturing is the best in the world. And it is. There's an exaggeration there about it being unbreakable, but if you're anything above like say 5 years old, you know it's just an exaggeration used in storytelling

"MY ULTIMATE UNBLOCKABLE MOVE GOT BLOCK! NANI!!!"

If you actually studied the science behind swordsmithing, it's about striking a balance between cutting power and stability of the blade. You make it sound as if the Japanese don't use anything aside from a katana. that's far from the case. The katana is just standard-issue because it covers the most circumstances, is well balanced, and has a good cutting edge. They also use the Otsuchi (war hammer) and Ono (war axe) against heavy armour and shields. There's also the wakizashi as a side-arm, the odachi, staffs, sickles, rope darts, daggers, hidden blades, and every conceivable weapon type there is.

If you're comparing katanas to different "European swords depending on type", of course the different sword does more damage against something a katana isn't meant to fight against. It's like saying you have the strongest fist in the world, then me saying you're wrong by shooting it with a gun. The strongest fist is only strong within its category.

You want to compare it? Match it with the estoc, rapier, or dao. Those are its equivalent category.

Dex-chan lover
8cb.gif

Man all these western sword shills, clearly katanas > all.

Dex-chan lover
@Arkos what @benderboyboy says is mostly accurate. If we're talking about the actual technique in making the sword Japan far far outclasses any traditional technique. Believe it or not Japan had far inferior naturally occurring steel than like anywhere with a sword culture. But a Japanese sword is equally as sharp and durable as a sword made of similar purpose and similar mass at a similar time. Why do you think that is? It's because Japanese smiths mastered what they had. Now granted, if you used actually good steel to make the sword, there is limited benefit you'd get, because the majority of the process was about making bad steel better, but there are some things Japan did that would improve others. Also contrary to what a lot of people think, the katana has a pretty 'purpose built' design to it. It's literally designed to make deep slashes. It's not meant to chop or hack, so heavy armor is of course it's bane.

Dex-chan lover
Kaname unlock ultimate UBW

Upon ones arrival are countless tools.
Carved over a thousand blades, forming a pile of swords.
This is the place where all paths cross
This is the place where all desires flow
This is the place where all deaths await
My whole life was for this single swing.

The heart of the blade is right here!
Take this, This is my Tsumugari Muramasa!!!
latest

Aggregator gang
@benderboyboy Dude I am not salty and if you paid attention to what I said I was talking about how in the chapter the author made the ridiculous statement about Japanese Katanas being unbendable and unbreakable and not the about other japanese weapons. I find it a ridiculous funny meme is all when the Japs or weebs keep bringing it up. I am no sword smith and what you say could be true but my point is that how the people who keep bringing up "glorious nippon steel" in katanas also say it is unbreakable and unbendable when in again reality any damn weapon can break. Also yes I am apparently under 4 years old and can't laugh at the absurd glorious nippon steel sorry I will go commit sudoku in order for you feel happy about your glorious nippon steel.

Dex-chan lover
its weird that the bully guy become a changed man like he was possessed then was release from possession after either kaname or the glasses dude beat him up...

So can he just make objects permanently now? Because doesn't that basically make him a god?

i wonder if Kaname eventually gets to the point where he can make other sigils with his sigil

Dex-chan lover
"there hasn't been a single thing that people have desired but have been unable to fabricate"

Well except for cat girls, we still don't have cat girls yet.

Fed-Kun's army
.... wanted Lilia and her kojin partner to fight Kaname and Shuka before they left... :/

I can't wait to see what kind of "upgrade" Kaname and Shuka got. Surely it's not as simple as the thing Kaname makes doesn't disappear even if he loses consciousness.

I kinda hope he can give some kind of... attribute or something to the things he makes. His power is just convenient and useful, that's all. I mean, that Gregori guy (was that his name again? the Alchemist) seemed far stronger.

Aaaaaaand... Done!

God I hope the anime does the manga justice and doesn't butcher it like "King's Game" the Animation

Dex-chan lover
I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works

Fed-Kun's army
This is a hypothesis, but the blacksmith Kaname was talking to within his Sigil may be Yatsusuna himself, and Kaname may be his direct descendant.
-his father breaking away from the blacksmith traditions upsetting his paternal grandfather
-his grandfather talking about "a certain person" conceiving the idea of the two-steel katana
-Kaname and Riku's brotherly blades forged by Yatsusuna
All these clues have a strong common link.

Unbreakable and unbendable HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Holy shit I'll bet someone actually believe that.

Users who are viewing this thread