DDOS

Dex-chan lover
you know just wondering...why would anyone DDOS Mangadex of all places? a rival's jealousy? or just some random trollz doin it 4 da lulz?

Fed-Kun's army
Lots of reason I guess, from stupid jealousy, idiot trolls, or maybe some rival site doing it for attention, conspiracy theory, etc...
But I think the bottom line is, Mangadex have become very popular nowadays, and I think we can all agreed that MD is the "next Batoto" in providing the best manga quality site without any annoying ads. With this kind of popularity, it's kinda make sense why there's some... "neighbor" that doesn't like it.

Other than that, I too honestly doesn't understand why some people want to do stupid thing like this DDOS...

Dex-chan lover
@michlele @DANDAN_THE_DANDAN From what I understand, any time anyone access a website they ask the server for a file (often times it's more than one, but let's keep this simple). To serve you that file takes resources. If you think of a human working somewhere and whenever someone asks something of them, copies of files for instance, takes time. The more people asking for more files takes more time and takes her/him away from others asking for files. DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service (attack). Keeping with my analogy, an attacker hires multiple people to come in to ask for copies they don't want, or need, just to slow down things. That's what DDoS does. Distributed, because several computers are used to make lots of requests to Deny Service of the site to others.

Dex-chan lover
@lenteraneko in the opinion that we've clearly passes where batoto had been. the platform is significantly more modern than batoto, and because MD has a team (as opposed to just Grumpy managing batoto), MD is progressing at a much faster rate. so it is highly likely that some honourless cur thought that DDoS-ing MD would benefit them...whoever that is.

Dex-chan lover
Yes they can. It is not an advanced form of attack. Also, there are premade tools for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

It's either a rival site or the easily-triggered creatures that are mad because that one tag got removed.

Edit: Saying the tag got removed is misleading. It was split into two different tags.

Dex-chan lover
Is it the genderbender tag? That one got replaced with both genderswap and crossdressing not too long ago

@Wolvenworks
Actually yeah. It's stupidly easy since there's plenty of easy to use programs to do it that are extremely popular among script kiddie fucktards. There was one used by /i/ when they were still a thing where all you had to do was enter a site's IP address and it took care of everything else for you

Dex-chan lover
@Jacough really? that automated? i'm amused.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN not me. i mean, i'd call that an upgrade since it's now more specific on whether it's a trap, or whether a he really turned to a she and grew a vagoo. so i can't see the reason why'd anyone would get a hissy fit over it but since this is the net where ppl get angry over practically anything nowadays....we clearly need to re-enforce some degree of netiquette

As long as this has been going on it almost seems like a "Stop me if you can " out of one of the stories.

Dex-chan lover
@Wolvenworks Last time there was a trans girl who threw a fit over the tag changes because she claimed that "it's not representing the transgender community".

If MD represented trans then they better represent literally every other culture, race, fandom, etc in this world in order to make it fair. Why should MD prioritize representing one group over another when it's supposed to be a manga site and not a SJW site, she's just stupid. What makes her community entitled to receive representation in a manga community?

The Search page does not work with recent versions of Firefox and old versions of Google Chrome.
The button to use checkboxes does nothing. The drop-down menus cannot select more than one
option to include or exclude.

It makes sense that the features may be disabled during a DDOS attack but the static part of the
search page should indicate what options are enabled or disabled.

Even when there isn't any DDOS, for old versions of Firefox the search page does not generate a link
when you click on the Search button [Firefox 47.0].

Double-page supporter
If I had to make a theory as to who's DDoSing the site, it'd probably be some aggragator sites angry that they were losing revenue like with what happened to EmuParadise's replacement, Good Old Downloads. They pointed the finger at sites such as IGGgames as they were shutting down.

Users who are viewing this thread