Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction

I actually think the political commentary is pretty nuanced and accurately portrays how different people can be radicalized based on their experiences, and that they will blindly believe whatever will support their ideology. As the series progresses, the political climate gets tenser and the different political groups begin to radicalize as humanity becomes more desperate. Depressing but well written.

@jinzo-chan
I guess that's a good way of looking at the manga's world, I just find it boring whenever the story starts digressing to allusions to contemporary politics

Fed-Kun's army
Started out good. Only on ch.30 and its gotten worse since volume 3 started.

Group Leader
This is really good, almost prophetic in regards to the current “epidemic” and the way the people in power is treating the whole thing.

Sasuga Asano san. Can't wait for more chapters. Maybe I missed something but Kadode's dad's body was never found right? Hmm...

Double-page supporter
Can't believe I didn't catch on to the clever title until I recently did some problem solving for a friend recently.

Bug Check 0xDEADDEAD: MANUALLY_INITIATED_CRASH1

Very clever indeed.

Supporter
I finally finished Dead Dead Demons Dededede Destruction. The first half is amazing: a great mixture of Asano's willingness for tragedy and realism and his compromise for a more "moe" plot this time, which makes for a super enjoyable and relatable ride, because I felt the characters much closer to me, especially Ontan, which I would even consider an iconic character.
The second half gets progressively worse, because Asano's weak point is, he can't make a proper storyline to save his life (so he has to save the characters' lives instead lol). He tries, God knows he does, but it's beyond him. So the aliens, the least interesting part of the manga, gradually overshadow the actual soul of the manga. Approaching the end, it was difficult to find the manga I fell in love with. And the last bit, with Nobuo is so anticlimatic I can't help wondering what was Asano's intention with it. Anyway, generally, the political commentary is, to my taste, shit, the series is uncannily redundant with its messages and its development in general and the actual ending of the series felt, to me, like a kick in the balls. It felt like betrayal. Last page felt like Asano was fed up with the whole thing and wrote the most nonsensical line he could find. Maybe I should read all of it again, maybe there is a hidden meaning to all of it that I haven't realized, and I may do it in the near future. Until then, there is only one thing left for me to say:
HANYANYAFUWAAAAH!

Dex-chan lover
Good series, basically a slice of life drama that asks the question of what would happen AFTER an Alien Invasion if humanity could beat the Aliens, then stay in a stalemate with them for an extended period of time. Life would go on anyway, and then even the abnormal might seem "normal".

At least that's how it starts anyway, it gets trippier as the plot goes on, if you want to pay to read it, it's on Vizmanga at https://www.viz.com/vizmanga for only $2 a month. That's what I did. Very good value for the money. 100 Chapters for $2, which was a steal.

Huh, that was...interesting. I really enjoyed the slice-of-life overlaid with a surreal existential threat in the first half, and I enjoyed how the sci-fi elements were explored more in the second half, which felt like a satisfying expansion to the world that was built. But I felt that the story ended up taking a more unpleasantly cynical tone as the story progressed, which evolved into a final act that felt weirdly...half-baked I guess? Everything after the mothership exploded felt incredibly disjointed with an especially bitter tone, which rubbed me the wrong way. Even if the story was trying to show humanity persevering in the face of near guaranteed doom, the fact that the rich successfully weathered the apocalypse while everyone left behind devolved into selfish barbarism felt more bitter than expected. I guess it was supposed to be a Mulholland Drive kind of fever dream but it just didn't hit home for me. I also have gripes with the final chapter, I have no idea why Kadode's Dad going back in time somehow kept the aliens away...wasn't the scout going to give a thumbs up for the invasion until he saw the mess the kids caused?
Still, I really enjoyed reading it: Asano's art is as strong as ever, the characters are fun, and the plot reveals scratched my "David Lynch for weebs" itch. And Ontan best girl :chad:

Users who are viewing this thread