Destiny Unchain Online ~Kyuuketsu-ki Shoujo to natte, Yagate『Aka no Maou』to Yobareru You ni Narimashita~ - Vol. 7 Ch. 56 - Core Exposure

Dex-chan lover
Mr7djAN.jpeg

A fine addition to my collection.

Dex-chan lover
Thats the most pointlessly erotic full body swimsuit ive ever seen
Why does it still show armpits
Im gonna lose it

Fed-Kun's army
I've seen longer. Luckily, the updates are pretty frequent.
sadly the raws will still be roughly 10 or so chapters ahead, unless they pick up the pace a bit, doubt they will work THAT hard on it. Although in those chapters, not a LOT happens, there are important bits, but it isn't that far away from where we are now, which is honestly weird to think about.

Dex-chan lover
sadly the raws will still be roughly 10 or so chapters ahead, unless they pick up the pace a bit, doubt they will work THAT hard on it. Although in those chapters, not a LOT happens, there are important bits, but it isn't that far away from where we are now, which is honestly weird to think about.
They won't pick up the pace. They've said before that they're deliberately keeping it at this pace to keep using the volume raws rather than the web-quality ones

Fed-Kun's army
Dex-chan lover
This is so very standard. Some kind of venting or cooling process that reveals the weak spot for mechanical bosses.

Everyone loves bosses that heal. But the thing about it is that they didn't deal most of that damage by destroying the arms, so getting new arms shouldn't heal back that damage.

Generally coolant fluid is a mixture mainly consisting of water, with some anti-freeze if necessary. There are very few liquids with a higher heat capacity than water, and none for the price.

"No way it works" and "sounds kinda fun" seems like an excellent plan to me. Nothing can go wrong! Well, as long as they don't tell the readers what the plan is before executing it, because then it will fail.

Dex-chan lover
Im gonna lose it

It's not showing armpit though? You can see the material sorta wrinkle near the shoulder part.

Maybe get off the horni pill.

Dex-chan lover
It's not showing armpit though? You can see the material sorta wrinkle near the shoulder part.

Maybe get off the horni pill.
If you would scroll up a bit you can see the large version
It has a strapless panties design
Cleavage
Missing shoulders or seethrough material for sideboob and pits
Color scheme that makes it look like the sides are open

Gotta say, I love how casually the tabloid reporter slid into the team this chapter :pacman:

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
why didn't she snipe the ropes from which the replacement arms were carried onto the boss ?
the energy field that knocks them back still active during the arm attachment phase, we can assume it's temporarily immune
Sniping fiber ropes (think Old West movies) is possible but impractical and difficult. But this isn't fiber cordage. This would be braided steel cable with a safety factor of 5:1, and a diameter of about 26mm (see Assumption 3, later on). Assuming perfect shots and perfect clean-through holes, it's going to take multiple hits, likely 3-4+ at the same spot to weaken it enough that it finally snaps.

A closer look at the setup reveals a crane equipped with a multi-stranded steel cable (designed to be redundant), connected not to a simple shackle, but a claw hook, which then suspends four smaller-but-still beefy multi-strand wire ropes. And that entire setup is duplicated six times. Gut feeling says it's possible, but not practical.

Engineering time! Time for the SWAG*!
*Scientific Wild Ass Guess.

Assumption 0: The Desert Merrow's systems would not stop bullets fired at the cranes or rigging. (If it blocked shots, then sniping the cranes just can't be done.)
Assumption 1: Lycoris will make any shot she takes, and nervousness won't apply. Given she shoots electrical cabling one-handed from about 50m away back in Chapter 44, and her other exploits since, this is reasonable. (I have put bullets from a revolver into roughly the same size of group at 50m...but only from a benchrest setup. Not standing, and not one-handed.)
Assumption 2: Since the system is automated, it would need an automatic or mechanical latching system to release the crane rigging once the arms are replaced (or else the Merrow would be stuck in the cranes).
Assumption 3: Given the size of the arms and comparing real-world setups, we'll assume each sling and crane is setup for 10 metric tons (tonnes), and DUO accurately models physical materials; i.e. non-creatures are handled via physics simulation instead of hp.
Assumption 4: Lycoris's sniper rifle has power roughly akin to a 7.62x51 NATO round.
elebia-safety-hook-1.gif
Figure 1: Something like this. It can automatically release the hook once pressure is off the load (in this case, once the arms are attached and no longer being held up by the crane).

Option 1: Shooting the main body of the mechanism would be the largest target, but that's a hardened steel box. The weak points would be the battery core or the motor shaft, but disabling either one would just lock down the hook, since IRL equipment like this is "fail safe", i.e. when it fails, it does so to a "safe" position (hanging onto the load instead of dropping it unexpectedly). Shooting the case itself would warp the metal, likely also locking it in place.

Option 2: Shooting the sling hook at the bottom. Since this is usually a forged steel part, it would be the mechanically weakest for a bullet impact. On a 10 tonne hook, the narrowest part of the load-bearing arc of the hook (i.e. a bit smaller than "F" on the diagram) would be about 42 mm. Shooting above "J" on the narrow side would not cause the load to drop; shooting above "J" on the thick side would just be additional metal for a bullet to go through.
Forged low-carbon/ordinary alloy steels such as those used in hooks at tough, but not hard (Brinell of about 200 for grade 100 alloy steel such as commonly used in crane hooks); they will smush and deform instead of shattering or breaking when under too much mechanical stress. Cast steels are hard but brittle; they resist changing shape at all until they shatter. Armor plate is a special sauce of medium-hard (sometimes with layers) that will resist both deformation/penetration and shattering. The catch here is that military testing is done against military-grade armor, not load-bearing alloy steel.

[Cue three-hour rabbit hole looking at WWI-era ballistic formulas and installing DOSBox to get an ancient QBasic program to run.]

So it turns out that the math...is squishy. Literally, because metal has to move out of the way of a bullet. There's a formula, but it's basically an estimate and requires comparing to a known result. While WWII US Navy armor steel was comparable in hardness to our hook and the stats of our steel are known...the closest reference result I could find for that material is a 75mm shell...which ends up with clearly-wrong estimates when scaled down to something the size of a human-sized rifle.

But...a crazy person on Youtube did shoot a 7.62 NATO rifle at carbon steel plate (grade 50) and got .457 inches using a sniper rifle-length gun barrel. That's 11.6mm in normal units, but in the wrong type of steel. Thankfully, if all else is held constant, penetration against steel of different hardness varies linearly with the hardness (per an article in the Defence Technology scientific journal, Volume 12, Issue 2). I'm more comfortable scaling this up or down since it's already in rifle-scale, and not starting at tank/naval cannon scale. The paper goes to use calculus so that velocity, hardness, and angle can all vary at once, but that's overkill. Basic rise/run algebra slopes time.

Penetration depth(mm) = -.116 * Brinnell hardness + y
In our YouTuber experiment: 11.6mm = -.116 * Brinnell 135 + y. Solve for y, and that gets us an intercept of +27.3.
Plug in our beefier crane hook and (-.116*200)+27.3 equals...4.1mm.
Lycoris's bullet will scoop out a finger-sized divot, but she'd need 10 or 11 shots to the exact same place to break through the hook...on a single crane.

Option 3: Shoot out the master link, that thing at the top of the hook assembly that connects to the main cable coming down from the crane hoist itself. It's a single loop, but as a critical component, such master links are made to a higher degree of safety and usually a higher hardness of steel to prevent catastrophic failure.
A bit of searching gives that a 11 tonne master link will have a material diameter of about 25mm, and a hardness value of 32-35 HRC...Rockwell system hardness. Since a softer metal would be easier to shoot through, let's give Lycoris the softer option...32 converts to a whopping 302 on the Brinell system. Plug that in to our existing formula:
(-.116*302)+27.3=-7.7?
Our formula breaks. Above Brinell hardness 230, a standard FMJ bullet isn't appreciably going to push through any real depth with the rest of our setup.

Option 4:
Okay, but what about armor-piercing sniper rifle rounds?
...actual tests of people shooting armor-piercing military rounds at softer steels is hard to come by. We do have some stated stats and can solve for the Y-intercept on our linear hardness equation:
"The M993 7.62mm AP Round is capable of penetrating a 7mm thick high hardness armor plate[...]". "The surface hardness of this material is a minimum of 477."
7.7=(-.166*477)+Y, and Y is 86.9
Against our harder crane master link, that tungsten inner slug has 36.8mm of penetration; against the softer sling hook it has 53.7mm.
In theory, a dead-on shot would go straight through either, but a non-deforming penetrator like a tungsten rod is much much more sensitive to angle and shot placement than a jacketed-lead bullet. I don't have the references needed to quantify how bounce-happy the armor-piercing core might be.
Lycoris mentions, however, that she can't use any of the "power shot" skills.

TL;DR/Summary: Against the wire cable, it would take multiple rifle shots to disable a crane. Against the hook or master links holding up the sling assembly, it would take an impractical amount of "same hole" shots to break either; armor-piercing rounds (if separate from the game skills Lycoris lacks) might work but would be subject to angling.

P.S.: Also, there's six crane assemblies, and they're all moving.

Sickly Senpai
Staff
Super Moderator
A fine addition to my collection.
Im gonna lose it
If you would scroll up a bit you can see the large version
It has a strapless panties design
Cleavage
Missing shoulders or seethrough material for sideboob and pits
Color scheme that makes it look like the sides are open
To clarify, that's a diver's wetsuit, not a swimsuit. And the colored patch on the crotch isn't panties; it's reinforcement. Wetsuits often use two different grades/stiffness of neoprene fabric to balance durability with flexibility; sometimes these have different colors, and sometimes not.

Sleeveless wetsuits are uncommon; they do exist, but short sleeves (think T-shirt length) are much more common. I've never seen one with detached sleeves. That part of the design appears to be strictly fanservice, since the point of a wetsuit is to keep you warm enough for the water temperature you're swimming in; putting giant vents at your armpits (and their heat-radiating lymph nodes) and then also having separate sleeves is just dumb.

The panels at Crim's hips appear to be collapsible pockets, a fairly new option:
CargoWetsuit.jpeg

Tju

Dex-chan lover
Sniping fiber ropes (think Old West movies) is possible but impractical and difficult. [,,, (shortened due to length)]
I appreciate that you clearly put in a lot of work in your answer
however my thoughts behind asking the initial question were simply: did the fictional devs put this option into the fictional game that prides itself over freedom of action? and the mc being the usual manga mc and being the best at what they do, why did they not think of this?
so yeah I was asking this question from a storytelling perspective and not so much from a physics perspective.

Aggregator gang
ok stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 etc now boss feels like darksouls vibe X'D now adding arms looks like evangelion lol
thx for update admins

Dex-chan lover
ahh~ it is truly great to read a manga about MMORPG with an author who know how it really work.
I'm somewhat tired of seeing VRMMORPG's series treat it like isekai, with the MC got unique item and became super OP right off the bat

To clarify, that's a diver's wetsuit, not a swimsuit. And the colored patch on the crotch isn't panties; it's reinforcement. Wetsuits often use two different grades/stiffness of neoprene fabric to balance durability with flexibility; sometimes these have different colors, and sometimes not.

Sleeveless wetsuits are uncommon; they do exist, but short sleeves (think T-shirt length) are much more common. I've never seen one with detached sleeves. That part of the design appears to be strictly fanservice, since the point of a wetsuit is to keep you warm enough for the water temperature you're swimming in; putting giant vents at your armpits (and their heat-radiating lymph nodes) and then also having separate sleeves is just dumb.

The panels at Crim's hips appear to be collapsible pockets, a fairly new option:
View attachment 2726

the wetsuit sleeves aren't detached, that part of the sleeve is semi-transparent

rdrlvg.png

Users who are viewing this thread