Disgusting Otaku, Become an Idol! - Vol. 3 Ch. 34 - Disgusting Otaku Writes A Blog

Dex-chan lover
who remembers when this was a gender bender genre manga

Dex-chan lover
@zips the people still waiting for the comment "wait this was a gender bender manga!?" "Always has been"

Fed-Kun's army
Some powerful "How do you do, fellow teens" energy coming off that start of that blog post.

Dex-chan lover
I mean, Yoko's literally talking about trying to increase her own girliness. At this point this is definitely a manga about an awkward female nerd who became an idol. There is no more real gender bender element. Not that I mind exactly, I love Yoko and I do think that detail of her history is fun. But at this point's definitely less "gender bender genre story" as it is "main character has a minor quirk to her backstory". Yoko would still be our adorable disaster even if that quirk were written out of her story.

Considering it's hard to deny she's a girl inside and out, I will say this: if you're a guy who's been reading this manga up to this point and every chapter you're going "I wish that was me" or "I'd do exactly what she's doing" and it's still exciting and relevant to you as a gender exploration story ... well, you might want to do a check-up on your gender identity.

Dex-chan lover
@FieryKathy Precisely. I'm not going to be as aggressive as to say "you're probably trans" if Yoko's situation is at all enviable. But it definitely, yeah, should invite introspection. In the end that's exactly why I like lowkey gender bender stories like this one, just as I like the big dramatic ones. They're an invitation to self-reflect.

Users who are viewing this thread