Do people actually find manga funny?

Double-page supporter
@Denrick19
Ok, your statements are so sad that it has to be bait. Almost all of my favorite mangas are comedy and although is true that Japanese people rely so much on their awful little puns that are lost in translation, there are so many kinds of comedy mangas out there that you had to give it a chance before making those assumptions.

Yeah, I hate 4komas too, Onani master is shit and its comedy is worse, I don't like at all Grand Blue and Jitsu wa Watashi wa. Two mangas that everyone acclaims for their comedy. Gokushufudou and Sherif Evans turned repetitive, Komi-san doesn't even have jokes anymore. I haven't read Gintama yet but I feel I will hate it, and the same can be said about One Punch Man... but hey, there are a lot of people that like those. That's just proof of the variety of comedy that manga can provide. You should check up on those to see if you like them.

Now, for the comedy mangas that I do like there's Golden Kamuy, Send My Regards to Kenshiro, Watamote/Itai Onee-san, The Fable, Useless Ponko, Virgin Extinction Island, Kaguya-Sama/Arakure Ojousama wa Monmon Shiteiru, Boy's Abyss, Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san... all of those have different tones of comedy, and I only mentioned some of my favorite comedy mangas that are currently ongoing. There are a lot of finished comedy mangas that you can feel the freshness because is comedy from other generation. @dogelicijus mentioned two very good ones. There's also Golden Boy, Cromartie High School, Stop!! Hibari-kun!, Arigatou, Sundome, Saltiness, GTO, Boys on the Run... even fucking Jojo has a niche comedy by itself that until this day I still don't know if it was on purpose or not, lmao. But is funny nonetheless. I bet my dick and balls that you will laugh with more than one of the mangas I mentioned. You only have to do a little research, my dude.
5yG945X.gif

Dex-chan lover
@JonRa
>Boy's Abyss
>Comedy
ioMDrvP.png

Ok, your statements are so sad that it has to be bait.
This is the case with about 99% of the comments I've seen from this dude. His bio ("Constantly awful takes") means he might be self-aware at least.

i have never really laughed at a manga that has comedy as its main genre except for gekkan shoujo nozaki kun, aside from that i find that manga that has some jokes in but doesnt have comedy as its main genre, like haikyuu, is really good at making me laugh, mainly visual jokes are the ones that make me laugh out loud though

Double-page supporter
Uh, yeah? I have previously laughed at comedy manga, yes, though I can't tell you [why] I think it's funny since I'm a zoomer who logs on Facebook, sees a video of Luigi rap explaining the rules of supply and demand to himself and burst my sides laughing.

Maybe manga in general is just not an appealing enough media to you? That or you had the bad luck to only read the unfunny ones.

Some manga that had made me laugh: Grand Blue; Prison School; Asobi Asobase (the anime is funnier but it's still good by itself); Detroit Metal City (again, the anime is funnier); Kono Healer Mendokusai; Nietzsche-sensei.

Dex-chan lover
Kono Suba and Asobi Asobase are funny and so is the manga Together with Me and Nan Hao & Shang Feng.

Are we just talking manga or do cartoons and anime count?

If so look below
So hear me out.
I loved Chowder, Making Fiends, and Invader Zim way back when. As an adult, Archer, South Park, Roger from American Dad etc. are all hilarious. So was Malcum in the Middle and Everybody Hates Chris
The show Friends, I just never got. 30s Rock and Modern Family are a flat out mysteries to me. And I find most shows with laugh tracks boring.
The Office, Impractical Jokers, Bobs Burgers, Parks and Rec, all had moments I could laugh at. Though I wouldn't ever call them "bad" or "great".

Heck! Sponge Bob was never my thing! I don't understand why it's as popular as it is. But even I can point out one or two solid episodes. (great even!)

Hey remember Moral Oral and Robot Chicken? As wild weird as those shows were I still has a few good laughs.
All that to say, It all depends on the person.
I like slapstick, satire, and situational irony and well executed crude and dark humor.

Try Sekaioni, some of it's content is funny af.
I read it 7 years ago, and I can't stopped laughing.
I recently read it again last year, surprisingly it's still funny.

But beware, it's 18+ with gore and sexual violence.

Users who are viewing this thread