Do people actually find manga funny?

Just a question, I've never laughed or even smirked at a 4-koma or a manga trying to be funny, most of them are just........... 4 girls do things........ like is that comedy these days?

Like what type of person do you have to be to find that stuff funny, and to people who do find it funny.............how?

Comedy is a dead genre honestly.

@comeonnow0

Well, lots of things, I find Onani Master Kurosawa first few chapters hilarious, because it just takes itself super serious for something so juvenile and silly.

I find SCP:SL videos funny, because seeing people do dumb stuff then the correct option is obvious is also funny as shit

Like I find plenty of things funny, but manga is the one thing that I find no value in when it's trying to be a comedy

Dex-chan lover
Group Leader
@Denrick19
*puts on professor glasses*
"Funny" depends on a lot of variables. For example, Someone falling down the stairs may be funny for people watching it, but not so funny for the victim. Some people laugh when a serious scene is played but the situation or event or dialogue is funny. You can't just go up to a person and ask why something was funny. Because no two people are completely similar. Some people may laugh at other's misfortune and others at their own misfortune (lol masochists). Some people like dad jokes while others like trashy puns (*looks away*). Then there are nerdy jokes and chad jokes. So as you can easy, there are a lot of/more examples.
While you're at it you can try out:
> https://mangadex.org/title/15941/tsurezure-children
> https://mangadex.org/title/48720/how-to-fight
Tell me how you feel about the comedy in those 2.

I generally don't have great times with 4koma but assume a lot of the time it has to do with comedy being really hard to translate due to the obvious of language and the difference in culture. Although I do have to say I also don't like a lot of comic strips and 4koma have a very similar energy.

Dex-chan lover
images

Comedy is subjective, Murray. Isn't that what they say?

Frankly speaking, Japanese has a really weird and alien sense of humour which is nearly always humiliation based, that I have never been able to understand it, therefore I have never laughed at manga or anime.

Group Leader
Different type of comedy for different people.
Just because I don't laugh out loud like a fake reaction Youtuber doesn't mean I don't find something funny.

Dex-chan lover
Just like with western stuff, if you're just looking at the equivalent of newspaper funnies you're not going to find a lot that's gonna make you laugh out loud. There's many kinds of comedy for many kinds of taste, but 4komas are usually just gonna be the one. I mean, they literally all have the same rhythm, more or less.

I watched way too many japanese variety tv shows, idol shows, manzai and comedy tournaments when I was learning the language, so I got really used to their kind of humour and like the manga that makes you smile, not necessarily because it is funny, might as well be just heartwarming.

So if I had to name few, titles like Minami-ke, Sketchbook, Yotsuba&, Azumanga, PaniPoni Dash, HaleGuu, Danshi Koukousei no nichijou, Puchim@su, PoyoPoyo, Nichijou, Gakkatsu, Fireball, Seitokai Yakuindomo (and Idol no akahon), Hayate no Gotoku, Gintama are funny to me.

It would be quite surprising to me if you could laugh at an joke that is wordplay based on obscure reference in another language.

As big ol tiddy onee san said, it's subjective mate. I find a lot of your typical Japanese unnecessary violence/humiliation humor disgusting, but different strokes I guess.

It could also be because some of the jokes are heavily dependent on the delivery/word play, japanese comedy (in my experience) unlike western comedy relies heavily on similar sounding words or even the kanji of words at times for comedy, other than the fact that it is nearly impossible to translate this to English the fact is that we aren't used to this type of comedy, we are used to gag type of comedy which relies on something incredibly stupid or something meme worthy to make us laugh, hence why memes are so popular even though most of the times it's just dumb shit that we gag at.
Also the concept of memes is foreign to most Japanese people (at least that's the impression I got from the few sources I have) so if you translated memes into japanese most of them wouldn't laugh either.

There's also the fact that since we don't understand the implied intonation and delivery that we can't separate the punchline from the rest of the joke, hence why when we hear voice acting in anime which exaggerated this in the delivery we actually laugh even though we got no fucking clue what the joke actually is but the guy said it in a funny manner. This is especially true in works that rely heavily on delivery or running gags, for example if you've watched the monogatari series anime you'd know just how much difference the delivery of words can have on a joke, typical example is Mayoi fluffing up Araragi's name as a running gag, if I read this in a manga(not that I've read it since it's inferior in every way to the anime) it would just seem unnecessary but the way the voice actor says it in the anime gives it so much personality that even though I don't understand the word play I can find humour just in the delivery.

Finally it depends on whether you can derive humour from weird facial expressions, many comedy manga rely much too heavily on facial expressions, for example Grand Blue, even though it's one of the most critically acclaimed comedy manga most of the gags are just their funny expressions, if you don't find that funny, you aren't going to enjoy it.
Without going into the type of humour that japanese people enjoy since you can find (if you search hard enough) almost every single type, the fact is that some cultures just have different sense of humour, for example the British are into self deprecating humour, Americans are into race-based humour (not racist humour because comedy isn't racist) etc, the japanese are more into the humiliating humour so if you don't enjoy that you won't like the many of the popular ones.
There's also the fact that because of cultural differences many things that are funny for the Japanese aren't funny for the rest of the world(and vice versa).

Lastly it could also be that you are just looking in the wrong place, I personally almost never read 4-koma or web comics (unless they are cross-dressing/gender bender -weird preference I know) so maybe you shouldn't read those, also just because it has the comedy tag doesn't mean it's intention is to make you laugh, for example many ecchi series are inherently labelled as comedy because for some reason people find sexual interactions funny, you might not agree with this but this is how the tag system works.

Users who are viewing this thread