Douse Suterareru no nara, Saigo ni Suki ni Sasete Itadakimasu - Vol. 3 Ch. 14

Dex-chan lover
This is simply weird.

People use the word “bloody” all the time. It's not archaic. It's not uncommon. It's apparently the third most commonly used swear word in the U.K. in 2020, down from first in 2010. It's an extremely common, normal word and it's well suited as a translation of “nado” exactly because it's one of the rare intensifiers that can find it's way in a posh register similar to “nado”.

It's a normal English word, there's nothing “modern” about it; the word goes back to the 1600s in this usage and I, frankness be, think you have no idea what original Japanese fiction sounds like if you object to “modern” translations. The kinds of translations you like are completely fake and don't match the tone of the original lines at all. Have you ever read any Japanese fiction in the original language and have any idea what it sounds like?

And no. They seem to be French royalty given the names. But the original lines were in Japanese and I translated it to English. “bloody” is a very common English word.

Setting. Original work from Japan. Adapting to english.
Seeing how well read you are one would be amiss to think that you wouldn't spot exactly how one thing contradicts another.

Because right here:

They're part of a subculture that exists outside of Japan, not inside of Japan, which is why they're fake. It's a common translation style where people translate actual Japanese fiction with words such as “anime” or “manga” in it that simply don't exist in Japan. Well, there is a Japanese word for “anime” but it's almost never used by anyone; there is no Japanese word for “manga”.

This fake translation style can be recognized by:
  • Japanese characters somehow use words such as “anime” and “manga”.
  • All character speak in textbook language and never use any particular slang
  • No character has role-type language, they all sound the same.

Whereas actual Japanese lines are more like:
  • There are no words for “anime” or “manga” in common use in Japan. Japanese people do not make the cultural distinction.
  • Characters heavily employ slang, street language, and informal registers
  • Characters have very stereotypical, role typed language to suit their character.

These are not "fake" translations, they are called "adaptation".

When you are translating something with plethora of slang, while you find it not ideal, if you actually think on why they are translated into neutral (I'd even call neutered) form you should understand. It is both creating a point of no friction for users who might not be able to relate to said slang as each culture has its own and by far not everyone is on the same page. But also prolongs the art's lifespan.

However, by limiting it with your preferred pronouns you limit its existence.

I can see that. It's a style I use when no English word exists that covers the nuance of the Japanese one. But I favor keeping as close to the original lines and the meaning they express as possible. When Japanese people refer to physicians with “先生” they stress how learned they are, not their exact occupation so I favor keeping that in the translation where possible.

There are places where it can't be done such as that I tend to translate “お客様” as “Sir,” when addressing a customer. This is not ideal because even though it reflects speaking to someone of superior status well, it does not reflect that this is specifically a title used for a customer, but anything else feels very awkward, “master” does not. It's a term English persons use to address learned persons to show respect for their academic or artistic achievement; it's simply not common to do so with physicians.

And this is a nice example of something called - Adaptation of original work.

Not really. In practice, the words “漫画” “コミック" and “コミックス” are entirely interchangeable except the last one of the three is somewhat more informal. One could argue the first two could be translated to “strip” and the last one to “comics” to emphasize this but I think “strip” is far too formal in English to be used as a general translation for the first two. Translating “漫画” to “manga” and “コミックス” to “comics” is absurd in any case, that's not what they mean by any stretch.

It's a common translation style where people translate actual Japanese fiction with words such as “anime” or “manga” in it that simply don't exist in Japan.

Well, there is a Japanese word for “anime”

However, if the distinction should be made, then “コミックス” refers to a single volume of a serialization, and “コミック” refers to a magazine that runs multiple serializations at the same time, but this is not a distinction people in Japan generally observe and more of a technical thing, but it's for this reason that many magazines have “コミック” in their official title showing that it has nothing do with whether it be Japanese or not.

Just wanted to throw it out there. Also, yea I know, katakana is used for adapted foreign words.
The meaning is left for cultural interpretation. There's nothing wrong with it.

This is exactly the type of translation I object to, where translators translate words based on the sound, not on the meaning, as in:

• “ハンバーグ” to “hamburger”; it doesn't mean that; it means “salisbury steak”
  • “アニメ” to “anime”; it doesn't mean that; it means “cartoon”.
  • “ジューズ" to “juice”; it doesn't mean that; it means “sweet drink”

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=コミック

As you can see, almost all of them are Japanese

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スパイダーマン#漫画

This goes into adaptation as well.

The more well-read a translator is, the better distinguish they can do without injection of self-imposed "accuracies" that limit the work. Or at least I thought so before. But apparently that does not work well in practice.

The word “漫画” is used liberally on the Japanese Wikipedia page for Spider-Man.
There is no Japanese word for “manga”. One says “日本の漫画” or “Japanese strip” when needing to make the distinction but Japanese people rarely do so because such an idea does not live in their culture. Most Japanese people aren't even aware that in English the word “manga” and “anime” mean “Japanese strip” and “Japanese cartoon”; Japanese people pretty much never talk about “manga” or “anime”.

In practice, the words “漫画” “コミック" and “コミックス” are entirely interchangeable

You are actually doubting that “bloody” is a “real world” at this point?

Registerless is not a word. (I've even used bloody as a pun at the end.) Also, if you are about to quote that it is commonly used around you, well sorry to burst your bubble. Because it's a very small bubble and even internet is having issues comprehending it.

The article and the part I quoted which you omitted in your quote establishes well that the word was used in prose written by the most upper of classes.

The article does not contribute to the topic.

No, I put it in conversations where the original characters use similar words that indicate strong emotions such as “なんか”, “なんて” or “など” and translate things such as “車なんかいらない” to “I don't need a bloody car.".

Just want to remind you that Exclamation mark exist for a reason. "I don't need a car!" has just as strong implication without over burdening one's senses.

You seem to have absolutely no conception of the idea that some translators are trying to capture the tone and aggressiveness level of the original lines opposed to turning original Japanese fiction into this “subculture” as you call it that exists outside of Japan which does not in any way resemble what actual Japanese fiction sounds like.

Also felt like quoting myself there:

This is a gripe I have in general with your use of misnomers.

Some people lost it when Nagatoro said “sus” but the reality is that the character in that line was using a fairly slangy word for “acting suspicious” and the characters lines are full of teenage slang anyway. — Japanese has that.

And it's a prime example of how ill-defined translations can be, instead of coming up with a solution or avoid it altogether. Adapting it to the current meme-speak that not everyone is aware of. It puts an artificial limiter to the current generation of readers or worse yet, until the "sus" falls out of use. Which it already did.

The entire point of translating or adapting a work is to make it as accessible to as many people as possible while preserving its original meaning. And while claiming of doing so, you begin to deviate it in the way that is personally palatable to your tastes.

Sure, it is great if you can implement detail like in the hamburger example. But I don't understand why it should ruin the flow of the rest of the work due to your own whimsical wants.

Oh boy... For a moment I thought Lillie WAS OUT of the picture. And them having communication problems ugh. It’s annoying but also accurate. It happens in every aspect of life, sadly.
Thank you for the translation

Double-page supporter
obviously she can't trust him????? he didnt tell her shit for years and is continuing even now.

stop acting like mc is in the wrong for acting without the information that these guys purposefully refuse to share! and its a little maddening that mc is all "oh it was ME that didnt trust him"
FR he gaslighting her hard in this chapter it was painful to watch 😭

Although no matter how infuriating I’ll be here same time next week 🤪

Power Uploader
Setting. Original work from Japan. Adapting to english.
Seeing how well read you are one would be amiss to think that you wouldn't spot exactly how one thing contradicts another.

Because right here:

These are not "fake" translations, they are called "adaptation".

When you are translating something with plethora of slang, while you find it not ideal, if you actually think on why they are translated into neutral (I'd even call neutered) form you should understand. It is both creating a point of no friction for users who might not be able to relate to said slang as each culture has its own and by far not everyone is on the same page. But also prolongs the art's lifespan.

However, by limiting it with your preferred pronouns you limit its existence.

And this is a nice example of something called - Adaptation of original work.

Just wanted to throw it out there. Also, yea I know, katakana is used for adapted foreign words.
The meaning is left for cultural interpretation. There's nothing wrong with it.

This goes into adaptation as well.

The more well-read a translator is, the better distinguish they can do without injection of self-imposed "accuracies" that limit the work. Or at least I thought so before. But apparently that does not work well in practice.

Registerless is not a word. (I've even used bloody as a pun at the end.) Also, if you are about to quote that it is commonly used around you, well sorry to burst your bubble. Because it's a very small bubble and even internet is having issues comprehending it.

The article does not contribute to the topic.

Just want to remind you that Exclamation mark exist for a reason. "I don't need a car!" has just as strong implication without over burdening one's senses.

Also felt like quoting myself there:

And it's a prime example of how ill-defined translations can be, instead of coming up with a solution or avoid it altogether. Adapting it to the current meme-speak that not everyone is aware of. It puts an artificial limiter to the current generation of readers or worse yet, until the "sus" falls out of use. Which it already did.

You did not in any way respond to in any way in to most of the things you quoted and simply repeat “this is an example of adaptation” all the time. The fact is that you claimed there was a Japanese word in common usage for “anime” or “manga”, that isn't the case. Any case of a Japanese character saying “anime” in a translation is fan-fiction about Japanese culture. Flat and simple.

Furthermore, you more or less admitted now that you cannot read Japanese well enough to consume Japanese media in the original language, but you also professed to somehow “know” that the characters “don't sound like that” and failed to respond to my challenge of where you base that on if you haven't read and interpreted the original lines.

The entire point of translating or adapting a work is to make it as accessible to as many people as possible while preserving its original meaning. And while claiming of doing so, you begin to deviate it in the way that is personally palatable to your tastes.
No, I don't. I stick extremely closely to the tone and feel of the original lines and attempt to keep any and all information that is possible while inventing nothing new. This should be obvious because I'm one of the few translators who adds a translator note whenever something is by necessity lost in translation.

What you want is one of those “manga English” translation styles where actual Japanese people speak likes meme conceptions people on the internet obsessed with Japan have about Japan which isn't how Japanese fiction at all reads in the original language, and we can start with, again, that any translation where any Japanese character ever says “anime” can almost certainly be disregarded since the entire concept is not alive in Japanese culture. Japanese people do not distinguish animation from Japan from that from any other country in that way.

Dex-chan lover
You did not in any way respond to in any way in to most of the things you quoted and simply repeat “this is an example of adaptation” all the time. The fact is that you claimed there was a Japanese word in common usage for “anime” or “manga”, that isn't the case. Any case of a Japanese character saying “anime” in a translation is fan-fiction about Japanese culture. Flat and simple.

Furthermore, you more or less admitted now that you cannot read Japanese well enough to consume Japanese media in the original language, but you also professed to somehow “know” that the characters “don't sound like that” and failed to respond to my challenge of where you base that on if you haven't read and interpreted the original lines.

Yeah, I just don't care anymore. It is clear to me that reading comprehension is not your strong suit. You did not read, nor tried to understand what I wrote at all.

I quoted your own comments in regard to manga and anime, but you willfully ignored them in lieu of interpreting it the way it's convenient to you. Not for the first time either. Kudos to you.

I don't speak nor read Japanese either. I am just a fan of anime and manga. I've seen enough slice of life to know that yes, they do say anime and manga in Japanese. Do I care to browse through anime titles I saw just to prove my point? I am not autistic enough to bother. They mostly say it in more modern works that's what I remember.

No, I don't. I stick extremely closely to the tone and feel of the original lines and attempt to keep any and all information that is possible while inventing nothing new. This should be obvious because I'm one of the few translators who adds a translator note whenever something is by necessity lost in translation.

Yeah sorry, you are by far not the only one who goes into details at the end of the chapter. I usually appreciate bit of extra read. Yours I simply don't care about. Reminder of my first post - from your first work that I stumbled upon and got invested into, your obtuse use of "appropriate" words has forced me, and these in the comments I've seen, from reading the manga. Simply because your characters did not talk like real human.

What you want is one of those “manga English” translation styles where actual Japanese people speak likes meme conceptions people on the internet obsessed with Japan have about Japan which isn't how Japanese fiction at all reads in the original language, and we can start with, again, that any translation where any Japanese character ever says “anime” can almost certainly be disregarded since the entire concept is not alive in Japanese culture. Japanese people do not distinguish animation from Japan from that from any other country in that way.

And again, reading comprehension. That is not what I am saying at all. But you do you.

Power Uploader
I don't speak nor read Japanese either. I am just a fan of anime and manga. I've seen enough slice of life to know that yes, they do say anime and manga in Japanese. Do I care to browse through anime titles I saw just to prove my point? I am not autistic enough to bother. They mostly say it in more modern works that's what I remember.
I'm sorry but you have some nerve to talk about reading comprehension here.
I've explained, nay, proven to you that the Japanese words “アニメ” and “漫画” translate to “cartoon” and “strip”, not “anime” and “manga”. There are no commonly used Japanese words for “anime” and “manga” which is A) common knowledge, B) something anyone could have figured out to begin with since cultures generally lack such words for their own culture as no one considers his own culture exotic and special.

You speak with confidence about supposed knowledge of how original Japanese characters talk all the while admitting that you do not speak Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread