Dragon and Chameleon - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - He's Different, Somehow

Contributor
In Shounen manga, large chests make the silhouettes for those characters much easier to read.

Yeah I’m not buying this.

Ishiyama-sensei was an assistant to Eiichiro Oda, so it’s fair to assume Hanagami was based on him.

In One Piece, for the main cast alone Luffy, Chopper, Franky, Brook, and Jimbei all have wildly different silhouettes that make them easily recognizable. But Nami and Robin have virtually identical silhouettes that make them look both just like… two girls with big boobs.

Hell, this is for many series as a whole. For male characters, you could have a variety of wild body shapes and types. In Hero Academia, Midoriya and Mineta and Koda and Shouji all look wildly different. But the girls all generally have a similar body type, so adding big boobs wouldn’t change a thing.

If you like adding boobs to your series because you like drawing them, then sure. All the more power to you. But don’t try to twist it as something that makes artistic sense to do.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Hopefully page 5 isn't a regular occurance.
Not at all, lol. It felt more disturbing than fanservice-y to me anyway.

If you like adding boobs to your series because you like drawing them, then sure. All the more power to you. But don’t try to twist it as something that makes artistic sense to do.
I think you might be reading into it a bit much, I thought that was just Garyou being Garyou.

Dex-chan lover
I refuse to believe that girl isn't meant as a homage to at least one of Go Nagai's female characters.

The author seems really worried people will stop reading if there isn't fanservice lol.

Otherwise, in the author's head:
"How do women think?"
"Oh of course, they must be constantly worried their boobs are big enough so the men they respect will look at them."

Dex-chan lover
Yeah I’m not buying this.

Ishiyama-sensei was an assistant to Eiichiro Oda, so it’s fair to assume Hanagami was based on him.

In One Piece, for the main cast alone Luffy, Chopper, Franky, Brook, and Jimbei all have wildly different silhouettes that make them easily recognizable. But Nami and Robin have virtually identical silhouettes that make them look both just like… two girls with big boobs.

Hell, this is for many series as a whole. For male characters, you could have a variety of wild body shapes and types. In Hero Academia, Midoriya and Mineta and Koda and Shouji all look wildly different. But the girls all generally have a similar body type, so adding big boobs wouldn’t change a thing.

Rather than being based on Oda... Surely he's based on Toriyama? The manga is called "Dragon Land" and the one panel we've seen of it is a direct parody of Goku riding on Shenron from Dragon Ball's cover, and the cover of the volumes she holds also have the same layout as Dragon Ball's rather than One Piece's. They also explicitly call it out as his second work, and Toriyama published Dr. Slump before Dragon Ball, while One Piece was Oda's first serialized work. The name might even be a parody of Toriyama's considering they have the same syllable count. Even the "all his characters have big breasts" claim applies to Dragon Ball just as well as One Piece.

I don't know, I just don't see any real parallels between Hanagami and Oda outside of the breast thing. Seems like a stretch to assume he's based on him just because the mangaka was his assistant.

Users who are viewing this thread