Dragon Quest: The Great Adventure of Dai - Avan the Brave and the Demon King of Hellfire - Vol. 5 Ch. 18 - Forbidden Training

New fan of your translations, here! Thanks for all your hard work! :D
I didn't pay much attention to Kanon on my first reading. I figured she was introduced just to be fridged for Matoriv's character development.
Now that I paid more attention and seeing the way she scolds Avan, it seems her role is to represent the Crone archetype. I like her dynamic with Avan, and love that she has no interest in Leira and Roka's corny romance.
The cute Avan expressions also made my day. heart

You're doing great, keep up the good work!

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't Masopho the guy who is in fraud hero group, and also the guy that sort of motivated Popp to get out of his slump?

Group Leader
Wasn't Masopho the guy who is in fraud hero group, and also the guy that sort of motivated Popp to get out of his slump?
The same! What I found most interesting was the way they retconned his relationship with Matoriv. In the original series Matoriv referred to him as his brother. In this chapter they show it's not a biological relationship (since he also called Kanon his sister), but instead more of a "brother in arms" or brother in the sense that they are both students of the same master.

The series has been really good about finding ways to tie in stuff from the original series!

New fan of your translations, here! Thanks for all your hard work! :D
I didn't pay much attention to Kanon on my first reading. I figured she was introduced just to be fridged for Matoriv's character development.
Now that I paid more attention and seeing the way she scolds Avan, it seems her role is to represent the Crone archetype. I like her dynamic with Avan, and love that she has no interest in Leira and Roka's corny romance.
The cute Avan expressions also made my day. heart

You're doing great, keep up the good work!

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I work on it by myself and it feels like there's such a small fanbase for it sometimes... but at the same time I'm also doing this for myself since I also wanted to know where it was going to go!

Yes he is. I think he even physically resembles Popp here.
I love the Fraud Heroes and wish all of them could show up in Brave Avan.

Dex-chan lover
The same! What I found most interesting was the way they retconned his relationship with Matoriv. In the original series Matoriv referred to him as his brother. In this chapter they show it's not a biological relationship (since he also called Kanon his sister), but instead more of a "brother in arms" or brother in the sense that they are both students of the same master.

The series has been really good about finding ways to tie in stuff from the original series!

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I work on it by myself and it feels like there's such a small fanbase for it sometimes... but at the same time I'm also doing this for myself since I also wanted to know where it was going to go!
Thanks for the answer, and yeah I was a bit confused with their blood relations but this makes things clearer now.

And I also appreciate you willing to translate this work 🙏
Yeah, it really a nice way to tie it all in and also makes it hit harder if you know the original story.

That would be interesting, this series feels like a love letter to the original series which make sense considering how influential the OG is.

Group Leader
Thanks for the answer, and yeah I was a bit confused with their blood relations but this makes things clearer now.

And I also appreciate you willing to translate this work 🙏

Yeah, it really a nice way to tie it all in and also makes it hit harder if you know the original story.

That would be interesting, this series feels like a love letter to the original series which make sense considering how influential the OG is.
Just wait until we get into the next volume...

I'm going to have side-by-side comparisons to the original series where Brokeena had the flashback scene while fighting mystvearn describing the Spell of Frozen Time...

The scenes... some panels... are downright identical right down to the panel placement and even the random things on a shelf in the background of a scene. I actually pulled up the OG series on Bato and tried to keep the dialogue as similar as possible where the translation supported doing so (obviously some things were different, but there was a LOT right from the OG). I can't wait to publish those chapters!

Group Leader
Tia, I'm not sure if you check mangadex more often than discord, but I sent you a message on discord!

Users who are viewing this thread