DS tanslations

Darthskippy, you said you didn't know Japanese and didn't know what the text over the sentence was in the CreepyCats raw... I took a few years of Japanese in high school and I've also seen this before...

Japanese has 3 character sets in common use.

There are two phonetic character sets (Hiragana and Katakana), one for writing native Japanese words and the other for writing foreign words.

There is also a pictographic character set inherited from Chinese called Kanji. The thing about Kanji is that some of them can be read multiple ways, depending on the context and how they are being used. They could be read pictographically, in which each Kanji might represent a specific concept, or they could be read in several different competing phonetic ways (for further confusion).

Manga often includes this kind of in jokes where you have something written in Kanji that has multiple meanings, with the meaning either clarified in supertext over the Kanji, or deliberately overloaded like a pun in English.

Dude, I want to say thank you for the translations. I work graveyard shift and creepy cat updates just as I going to lunch. It's nice to have a smile halfway thru my shift. Thanks a million.

Hey, didn't know how else to contact you - "nyangen" is probably a combo of "nyan" (meow) and ningen (human)

Users who are viewing this thread