Dungeon Kurashi no Moto Yuusha - Ch. 49 - Is the Charismatic Princess a Good Cook?

Dex-chan lover
With this kind of description though, along with @ThanatosHellfire's concerns, it's probably safe to classify her as a "Lawful" aligned character, but maybe not so much good, but with the idea that the concepts of lawful and good are separate and distinct. Served the purpose of good, sure, but this is where the leap in logic comes in. I feel that in D&D terms, Viola is classifiable as a Lawful-Neutral by nature. But in her head with serving the greater good, it seems like her beliefs are lawful = good, or something like that. And she will do anything to keep that standard, even things that are otherwise morally and ethically questionable or reprehensible. Similar to DC's Peacemaker character, who's so mentally cracked he'd lay waste to the whole landscape, and kill whomever gets in his way to keep the "peace". Just my interpretation of events so far.
Yeah I wasn't thinking of it in that aspect at first but I agree.
I was just frustrated cause I kinda liked her as a lawful good character like I thought she was presented as at first but I really don't like lawful neutral ones.

Dex-chan lover
@JACGohu @ThanatosHellfire

Hrrrmmmm....

You know, this might be a shot in the dark...

...But Viola may be a sociopath and nobody really realizes it - not even Viola herself. The thing is that psychopathy (the umbrella under which sociopathy exists) has it's own spectrum, what with various degrees and types of psychopathy and how well such a person is able to integrate into society.

From what I understand, sociopaths who've learned to integrate and cope in our society do so by adopting a "model" of morality to work under, such as religion. This morality isn't really theirs, it's just something they make use of in order to function in society.

And this could be the case with Viola. She seems to have not much in the way of actual ethics or morals, nor does she really seem to care about anyone outside of those who "interest" her. (A clear sign of sociopathy - a favorite pastime for sociopaths is to cultivate a circle of "friends" who they will subtly manipulate. Though whether it's to their detriment or their benefit depends on the sociopath.) And with her seeming to have adopted absolute law and order as the social framework to operate under...

....She'd be willing to make all kinds of sacrifices in order to maintain that belief system of hers. Even ones that don't make any sense until you you rule out ethics and morals as factors in her decision making process.

In this case, this guy wants to kill Mion. Is it the right thing to do? Oh, of course not. In fact, I'm pretty sure things would be hunky-dory if he just told Al to keep Mion and do his own thing while he does his.

But that's not what he wants. He sees Mion as a threat because she's not only a legitimate candidate as an heir, but also that she can use the charm and sex appeal she's inherited from her mother as a means to position herself as the next ruler of their kingdom.

Viola might not care either way, except that Mion succeeding the throne over her older brother would not be the proper order of things - she's not only further down the line of succession, but also female. Which would mean that, in Viola's adoptive framework for functioning in society, Mion (and her mother) absolutely cannot be permitted to live.

In the end, here, Viola is pleased because they're still going to go after Mion and her mother. They'll just be doing so in a more sensible manner. After all, you don't summon armies to deal with an upstart demon lord. That sort of thing is for an actual war, which this is not, really. Instead, you use a small party of high-level combatants.

I could be wrong, though. :p

Dex-chan lover

Hrrrmmmm....

...But Viola may be a sociopath and nobody really realizes it - not even Viola herself. The thing is that psychopathy (the umbrella under which sociopathy exists) has it's own spectrum, what with various degrees and types of psychopathy and how well such a person is able to integrate into society.

From what I understand, sociopaths who've learned to integrate and cope in our society do so by adopting a "model" of morality to work under, such as religion. This morality isn't really theirs, it's just something they make use of in order to function in society.

And this could be the case with Viola. She seems to have not much in the way of actual ethics or morals, nor does she really seem to care about anyone outside of those who "interest" her. (A clear sign of sociopathy - a favorite pastime for sociopaths is to cultivate a circle of "friends" who they will subtly manipulate. Though whether it's to their detriment or their benefit depends on the sociopath.) And with her seeming to have adopted absolute law and order as the social framework to operate under...

....She'd be willing to make all kinds of sacrifices in order to maintain that belief system of hers. Even ones that don't make any sense until you you rule out ethics and morals as factors in her decision making process.

In this case, this guy wants to kill Mion. Is it the right thing to do? Oh, of course not. In fact, I'm pretty sure things would be hunky-dory if he just told Al to keep Mion and do his own thing while he does his.

But that's not what he wants. He sees Mion as a threat because she's not only a legitimate candidate as an heir, but also that she can use the charm and sex appeal she's inherited from her mother as a means to position herself as the next ruler of their kingdom.

Viola might not care either way, except that Mion succeeding the throne over her older brother would not be the proper order of things - she's not only further down the line of succession, but also female. Which would mean that, in Viola's adoptive framework for functioning in society, Mion (and her mother) absolutely cannot be permitted to live.

In the end, here, Viola is pleased because they're still going to go after Mion and her mother. They'll just be doing so in a more sensible manner. After all, you don't summon armies to deal with an upstart demon lord. That sort of thing is for an actual war, which this is not, really. Instead, you use a small party of high-level combatants.

All possible, and I agree. I just put it in the terms I did, because that's how the discussion seemed to be going. In modern terminology, yes, I agree.

Dex-chan lover

Hrrrmmmm....

Could be or the author has no idea what he's doing. Time will tell.
Either way for me she went from 'she seems kinda interesting' to 'I hope she and her sociopathic master meet a gruesome end'.

Dex-chan lover
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but at what chapter does the hiatus start? I have no idea if this series was caught up to the raws (in which case this is probably the last chapter) or if there's more to go before then.

Users who are viewing this thread