Elf Dorei to Kizuku Dungeon Harem - Isekai de Netotte Nakama o Fuyashimasu - Vol. 1 Ch. 1.1

Dex-chan lover
The art for this is thoroughly mediocre and there are quite a few really awkward looking faces. It's got its work cut out for it to keep me interested.

He "loves" her yet still keep her as a slave huh.

Japan has weird ideas about slavery. Largely, I think, because they don't have the lengthy and more recent history of chattel slavery (the slavery most people think of when they hear the word.) that the west does. Most manga or LNs with slavery elements seem to be more patterned on the idea of indentured servitude or "non-free labor" where people are contracted into the service of others as penance for crime or debt or because they have no other option, being subject to the servitude is either a choice by the person or is accepted consequence for something they've done, and there are certain base expectations of care on the part of the "owner". It also doesn't help that Japan largely tries to downlplay or distance any association it has with slavery or slavery-like situations in recent eras, such as broadly trying to pretend that they didn't use "comfort women" or POWs as de facto slave labor during World War II.

This finally got picked up huh, hopefully there's little something to keep it interesting

Dex-chan lover
Elf slaves, eh? Hmm... plural.

Is there an LN for this one? On a scale of Totoro - Redo of Healer, how degenerate would you say this will be?

Dex-chan lover
Elf slaves, eh? Hmm... plural.

Is there an LN for this one? On a scale of Totoro - Redo of Healer, how degenerate would you say this will be?
There is a WN/LN. It's pretty wholesome but sexy with ero scenes.

I remember reading some of it, but this shopping scene is new, so it's either manga original or the translation I read was the WN and it's a LN original.

The MC is actually a capable adventurer, but as we can see he has no chill or impulse control when it comes to his waifu. So he's constantly spending most of their savings on her and then spending too much time screwing her to go make more, so they have an inconsistent income.

Dex-chan lover
What? When did I follow this? Talk about a cold open, guess they wanted to get everything out of the way and just show off the cute elf right away rather than do the humdrum of any backstory at the start. Kinda odd that it mentions "elf slaves" but the first double-page art features only the one and then a human mage.

Dex-chan lover
Elf girls only? Then who is the black-haired girl on the cover?
Memories from the past life hmm 'sees the gun', not your average salaryman, eh...

Dex-chan lover
This felt extremely mid, I won't be continuing this past this point

Thanks for the translation at any rate

Dex-chan lover
The art for this is thoroughly mediocre and there are quite a few really awkward looking faces. It's got its work cut out for it to keep me interested.

Japan has weird ideas about slavery. Largely, I think, because they don't have the lengthy and more recent history of chattel slavery (the slavery most people think of when they hear the word.) that the west does. Most manga or LNs with slavery elements seem to be more patterned on the idea of indentured servitude or "non-free labor" where people are contracted into the service of others as penance for crime or debt or because they have no other option, being subject to the servitude is either a choice by the person or is accepted consequence for something they've done, and there are certain base expectations of care on the part of the "owner". It also doesn't help that Japan largely tries to downlplay or distance any association it has with slavery or slavery-like situations in recent eras, such as broadly trying to pretend that they didn't use "comfort women" or POWs as de facto slave labor during World War II.
Dude, you are waaaaaay overthinking this.

Voluntary slave girls just give the author an excuse to give their MC girls that they really "shouldn't" be able to land any other way without much explanation and without making their MC look scummy (if their readers even care about that) by making it the girl's choice to remain a slave. It's that simple.

Dex-chan lover
Dude, you are waaaaaay overthinking this.

Voluntary slave girls just give the author an excuse to give their MC girls that they really "shouldn't" be able to land any other way without much explanation and without making their MC look scummy (if their readers even care about that) by making it the girl's choice to remain a slave. It's that simple.

We're talking about different things. You're looking at the perspective of why the writer shapes the plot that way. I'm looking at a few steps before that to why the author doesn't have an issue selecting that plot device in the first place. It's important to understand why happy slave harem stories are considered acceptable in manga when you would never be able to do anything close to this in a western story without significant backlash. And it's not like it's "PC culture" or anything silly like that. It's mostly because the two places have significantly different histories, familiarities, and responses to the concept that shapes their reactions.

Because let's be honest: There are a bajillion ways that some generic isekai'd loser protagonist could get a harem of sexy devoted ladies that wouldn't depend on using literal slavery. If there's an entire cottage industry for first person manga where the key to getting a hot, devoted girl after you is to simply not be an utter bastard, there's room to have a guy get a harem that doesn't involve enslaving people that wouldn't be any more difficult to use and would have the audience overlook its shallowness. It's just that this is a trope that does get used and that makes it appealing to copycats.

Users who are viewing this thread