[EN] Separate Pages from Longstrip Images

Power Uploader
It happens that groups combine book-style pages into vertical longstrip images, and even splitting them in the middle of a page. To upload these chapters to MangaDex this has to be fixed. If you don't want to do this manually, IrfanView might help.

Requirements:
  • This only works if there are no credit pages fused to the manga pages, credits have to be manually split before.
  • All book-style pages are the same size.

Step 1: If the longstrip image breaks do not align with the original page breaks, they have to be combined into a single image. In IrfanView open Image > Create Panorama Image, set the direction to vertical and add the longstrip images. Double check that their order is correct and create the 'Panorama'. IrfanView then displays the combined image.

If the image and page breaks do align, you could skip step 1 and repeat step 2 for each longstrip image individually.

Step 2: With the combined pages displayed in IrfanView, manually count the number of pages and open Options > Save Image Tiles, set the Columns to 1 and the Rows to your counted number of pages. Select a destination folder (that particular dialog can't create new folders though, no clue why) and make sure that you don't overwrite other (important) files.
For file format I would suggest sticking to the same format as the longstrip images and double check the quality settings, as to not deteriorate the image quality.

Finally, don't forget to add back the credit pages to your upload!
An example of the result: https://mangadex.org/chapter/9e9d1f1c-474b-4826-ae76-0ca68d41a156

P.S. open for feedback on this, the formatting, and if there are other image operations to extend/broaden this thread, if appropriate.

Power Uploader
@seekermoc Did you split the chapters you mentioned manually? If so, I hope this helps. It was rather neat, since the credit pages were separate from the start.

Power Uploader
I did, and thanks for the tip. I know most of the trouble was because of the simple tools I was using, but I also didn't try too hard to find a better option. I'm primarily a Linux user, but I'll see if I can get IfranView working and give it a shot.

Staff
Super Moderator
Paint 3D is perfect for pixel precision splitting if you have enough time to process each image manually.
If you want a quick solution and the images are the same size, you can always use an image splitting tool like SmartStitch.
That's how I do it. Though I'm still searching for a tool like inbac that works on my pc, preferably with editing features from paint 3d
demo.gif

Users who are viewing this thread