External Translation warning for user

Currently when a team wants to leave mangadex, its content is no longer updated and sometimes completely deleted.

Often some users don't see that this content has been "emptied", and wonder several months later why it doesn't come out anymore and go check it out.

Then if they want to centralize their manga they are forced to reuse sites full of ads/malware to be warned of the release of these chapters (translators who leave for reasons of his stop dreaming, the majority of users will not follow 50 sites per day to see if there is a release).

The idea here would be to allow users to add a numbered chapter referring to the translator's manga page.

Example on the follow page : "mangaX chapter n+1 out" and if i click on it -> https://{translator's site}/{manga} is loaded.

This way users would no longer be "punished" when a team wants to leave and can continue to follow series even if they are no longer at mangadex.

Why? They are free to leave at any time. But Rule 5.4.7 exists for a reason. "A group that has opted out of using MangaDex to distribute their content must opt out in its entirety, including (but not limited to) linking to their website in comments and using any of our channels for recruitment."

Theyre also free for delete their chapters without actualy opting out (as the case with Kuma Kuma Kuma Group, who removed their chapters after it got licensed for English Distro)

I think that's incentivizing group (particularly those who aim at getting money from ads and donation) to only advertise their sites on MD and make people read on their full of ads reader site instead of letting us read them here (yes it is the furthest worst possible I could think)
Barring official sites like mangaplus, afaik one of the policy (after the mass group quitting drama last year) is "if you're not going to use MD then don't use it to advertise your site either". That's why they sometimes delete comment linking to other aggregator sites and link to group sites which is officially severe ties with MD(?).

Also, I agree that there is demand for centralized hub for release notification, but I doubt MD have that as one of it's primary aim.
For users there are option to use stuff like tachiyomi or FMD to scrap notification from various sites. idk if MAL or mangaupdates which is closer to info database than MD have feature for that, I use anidb for anime though.

edit : oh blackyawgdom also cite the rules while I write this reply.

You are true, but the rules, punish the user ... because of some ads (mostly blocked by ublock ...), why not add this link like i ask and add a settings opt-in for accessing it.

Like that, it's up to the user to decide and not forcing him (her) the choice.

Double-page supporter
Through similar logic, by not letting Mangadex host their chapters the groups are punishing the Users. I'd find having to go to some other site to read it a punishment in and of itself. Most of the sites are bad, and hard to find stuff on. People are already annoyed with having to go to Mangaplus to read some chapters, myself included, this would really only make it worse.

Allowing this would allow for more abuse of the system by translators, as it's more beneficial to the groups than to the readers. These groups have already turned away the assistance Mangadex provides to Readers, Why should Mangadex Assist them?

Group Leader
just sharing an opinion here
Mangarock was a great solution for this problem, but it’s no longer a solution anymore as they’re going to stop their service
they kept up with many scanlators who chickened out of MD back then and updates just as fast as those shitty websites
they even went so far to include some manga that have official English translation to their app (Kakegurui, Shokuryou Jinrui, Motokare Mania to name a few)
I personally wouldn’t mind having a link to the shitty websites on specific manga if MD provides it
because at the end of the day, I just love reading manga
if there is a way to bookmark just one website to read manga from multiple websites instead of bookmarking many websites, I definitely prefer the former one

but the rules, punish the user
I don't think using punish here is fair. "punish" is a strong word also, it's not like that MD is being unfair to the user by not giving them notification on every random group release, it's just not their job to do it. It's those group who decided to not using MD when they make a release, not MD's part who are unwilling to host their release. Even if you stretch MD job as a notifier, it'll be hard-pressed to expect the notifier to notify people of what he doesn't know.

on the contrary, I think if MD become an indirect "promoting" site for groups who just wants to look for visitors for their ad revenue - whether if people able to opt-out or not - it would be unfair to groups who believe and use MD because they honestly want a place where fans to fans scanlation scheme with no such things like economic benefits from ads, patreon wall, or the like are present. Which is something I believe MD is striving for instead of (or at least more than of) being centralized notification board.

i understand all, but some user like me have a strong adblock and use it, so this bad translator don't have money from me.
And i feel i'm punished since i don't care about ads (ublock thanks to you), so i dont have the warning for new chapter, for nothing.

And since i don't have time like some younger people (for better understanding, when i said "young" i think student),
i'm penalized because i don't want to pass my little free time to search what manga is where.

I just want to open mangadex and read it or go to the link provided).

Double-page supporter
They aren't trying to be Novel Updates or Manga Updates. They are here to host Manga, not tell people when a manga has updated. There is no Punishment, just not offering a service. It's like complaining that Walmart punishes you because you can't buy a certain brand of clothing there.

If anyone is punishing the Users it would be the groups who choose not to use Mangadex. Now I don't believe they are actually punishing the users, but it is their decision, not Mangadex's to not have their translations on a central host.

Being the Manga Equivalent of Novel Updates isn't their intention and never has been, saying they are punishing you for not doing so is disrespectful and shows only entitlement.

Just because you block ads on their site doesn't meant that they can't capitalize from it.
MD got various offer for advertisement simply from the sheer size of their userbase. The choice to capitalize or not and to what extent is where some people put the line is.

Also, it's not even about them, nobody going to stop you to use their service if you're fine with it, with or without adblock. If you consider that not obtaining the notification link is punishing for you, then MD promoting to visit those group even indirectly is not just a punishment, but also a great betrayal for group or people who use MD in expectation of distancing themselves from those group or other for profit agregator site

Sorry but mangadex, can't be Novel Updates, or Manga Updates.
Because to be like them, you have to have all the series, an here, if you don't have another crap website in complement you dont have all series !

Supporter
At this point I can't even understand what you want to say or what you want. You said MD can't become NU, as if MD wants to become NU in the first place??? People already pointed out that MD has never had any intentions nor plans to become some kind of NU for manga, so they're not going to provide nor promote links for groups who don't use MD (Manga plus official scans being the only exception). Why don't you go complain to the groups instead of asking MD to go the extra miles just for your convenience?

@Aelisya - All of your posts here have only cared about yourself, but after your last comment it's abundantly clear you completely misunderstand what the purpose of this site is altogether. This place was never meant to "have all series".
Unlike other aggregates which act like parasites, this place has always been built with the idea of forming a symbiotic relationship. To put it more bluntly so you understand: it's not all about you.
At this point you sound like you're throwing a temper tantrum and sulking.

@Aelisya You can post your name here https://mangadex.org/thread/178895 and leave if you dont like how the site works. Nobody is forcing you to be here.

Fed-Kun's army
mangadex was thought up as a way for scanlators not to get screwed over(for example by those ad infested aggregators you mentioned) so of course it will favor the scanlation groups over the users, since that is it's purpose. If you ever read the about page: https://mangadex.org/about it's made plenty clear:

"MangaDex is an online manga reader that caters to all languages. Mangadex is made by scanlators for scanlators and gives active groups complete control over their releases. Everyone is welcome here as long as they follow the rules."

Double-page supporter
> And since i don't have time
Your lack of time is your personal problem. Organize your shedule or make proper priorities in your life.

> I just want to open mangadex and read it or go to the link provided

lSpPNti.jpg

@blackyawgdom
Yea, forgot about his weird speak :/

Sorry but mangadex, can't be Novel Updates, or Manga Updates.
Because to be like them, you have to have all the series, an here, if you don't have another crap website in complement you dont have all series !

Is this an argument supporting your suggestion or you just tilted and switch side?

@BzzBzz I don't care about your idea, you tel me to change my life, pretty stupid ... manga is a hobby not your life, work and family first, you must be very lonely to not know that !!

Users who are viewing this thread