Fight Class 3 - Ch. 78 - Round 78: Lucky Day

Fed-Kun's army
"Rest in Power bro" asdfds Bob Sopp is a good guy. Maria's wallet is very cute. This is getting heavy with corpses?? Nasty

Dex-chan lover
On one hand I liked this one with the Bob sapp cameo, and Arnies quote.
On the other, damn does that make me feel dated.

Dex-chan lover
I love the Bob S*pp character and his wife (?), they're just so charming and loveable
That being said, it looks like the tunnel is beyond just some fighting area, and this sewer dude at the end might just have something to do with the smell around there

Thanks for the translation. Btw does anyone know, is the author taking a break? There hasn't been a new raw chapter in about a month

Fed-Kun's army
Man this training arc is so bizarre, in a good way. Usually when the MC gets turned into a monster, thats it he's strong enough and people try to turn him back. But its like, yeah he's a monster, so now he gets to train with the monsters, because no way in hell is even close to good enough to get to where he wants to go.

Not only that, but Maria just kind of ... floating, is just interesting. Nothing but like small instructions. Theres been no real insight into the characters state of minds, other than what they say out loud, for a while.

@brynreich what do you mean? There was a new raw chapter no less than last tuesday. Maybe you're confused by the numbering of the chapters.

It's really crazy how a lot of readers don't get the MC's internal struggle despite being laid out from the very beginning of the series. Yet, those who complained about him being too weak are the same ones complaining about him being "edgy" now even though his violent side was heavily hinted and foreshadowed throughout the course of the story. Please go back and pay attention to Ji-tae's characterization the whole way through before saying his change in attitude doesn't make sense.

x12.png

Despite what the comedy and wholesome character interactions might have you think from time to time, this is a tragic story about two orphans who're deep into the path of violence and revenge. If you expected their journey to be all "sunshine and rainbows" then you picked the wrong story to read.

That dude looks like Frankenstein! And the fact is so dark inside that tunnel makes it even scarier.
We might get some nice Maria - Ji-tae tag team action in the next chapter so I'm hyped af!

@gptemp8916 he hates his father for being a fighting cunt that hurts other people, and because of that, he becomes JUST LIKE HIS FATHER.
people aren't complaining that his character changed out of nowhere, they're complaining that the change is just fucking bad. it's like making captain america a member of hydr- oh.... well, guess i just called marvel out too

@areksama Let me address your points one by one.

he hates his father for being a fighting cunt that hurts other people, and because of that, he becomes JUST LIKE HIS FATHER.

Exactly! And that's the irony of the path he's chosen in order to find his sister, which is a very huge deal for him in case you forgot. He isn't becoming like his father because he WANTS to be like him, he's doing it because having a weak mindset won't allow him to survive the path he and Maria have decided for themselves. Ji-tae isn't aiming to become a pro-MMA fighter, his goal to become stronger is a means to find his sister. And since that means getting into Fight Class 3, which involves Vale Tudo AKA fighting to the death, he needs to embrace the notion he's gonna hurt the people standing in his way. Ji-tae's old way of looking at things isn't gonna cut it if he wants achieve his goal, something that's been proving by him constantly finding himself in the losing side of fights due to his reluctance to embrace violence. Which, given the path he's chosen, is hypocrisy at its finest. Plain and simple.

Also, did I mention he hates being seen as weak? He's built a lot of frustration around this idea of being "uselles" and the helplessness that makes him feel. Something that's been reinforced by the way he's behaving in the most recent chapters. You could say he's trying to look tough as a way to prove he is far from weak.

people aren't complaining that his character changed out of nowhere, they're complaining that the change is just fucking bad.

But is it? I mean... If you and others don't like it, that's your prerogative and is totally fine. Nobody can't force you to like something. But tell me, why is it bad? You don't give me any reasoning as to why the change hurts the narrative. Since when characters facing moral dilemmas due to the reality of the world is synonym with bad storytelling? Is Ji-tae's conflict unfitting with the themes and reality presented throughout the course of the story? Or is it part of the journey that the characters started since the very beginning of it? Let me remind you that by siding himself with Maria in order to find his sister, he has agreed to help her fulfill her revenge which means killing his own father. And that reality was presented to us readers since the early chapters of the manhwa. Now we're witnessing the real implications of that lifestyle. In other words. It's time for Ji-tae to "walk that walk".

it's like making Captain America a member of hydr-

Hold up... Are you trying to tell me Ji-tae and Captain America belong to the same character archetype? Or that their circumstances, upbringing, and ideals are one and the same? I seriously don't understand this analogy nor see the point of comparing the MC of this series with some Marvel comic book hero.

Well, guess I just called marvel out too

Sure, be my guest. I'm not sure what does that accomplishes for this particular topic, but feel free to keep going.

hope i'm doing this right, i rarely comment

@gptemp8916
I guess the distinction is to be made between bad character building and not liking the outcome. I think it's the former, after reading chapter ~36 till now, as the author spent couple chapters on side-characters, yet the MC mindset transition takes basically 1 chapter in total (where he lashes out at his girl friend saying how he is sick of fighting but he has to do it to save his sis, a point which you made). It may get clearer in the future, with another reflection/flashback chapter, but the change at this point looks as if a person that was presented with a happy-go-lucky attitude for ~30 chapters suddenly made a 180 and went full psycho within the span of a few panels. The chapters in between mostly not being centered on MC do not help the case, so I'd stick it up under bad writing that can be salvaged later when looked at in retrospect.

Our boy has rlly become unhinged. I was hoping he'd score well academically too...sigh. Hopefully when he comes back to his senses he'll at least be stronger

Users who are viewing this thread