Fight Class 3 - Vol. 4 Ch. 28 - Round 28: Trauma

Dex-chan lover
The side story of the bullying is not really interesting, especially since ok-dong had a good character development at the beginning, now he's worthless. i hope they solve that soon so he can go back to being funny and do something of his hobby.

@tomtom78 I think the bullying sub plot is more focused on Ji-tae than Ok-dong. Ok-dong will be fine once this is solved, he just needs to stop beeing creepy and stalking the fight classes students with his camera. I'm worried that something might happen to Ji-eun since she's the one going to confront the bullies. That will probably end up being the trigger that pushes Ji-tae to fight for their friends.

Dex-chan lover
Bah, I hate these kinds of arcs. Pretty much all of these problems could be solved if the character either spoke to each other or stood up for themselves. It just feels so useless; so I get mad at the characters.

@Varler Pretty much all problems in life would be solved if people always went with the most rational or logical course of action. The thing is that people are much more complicated than that, especially high school kids who make tons of mistakes on a daily during that particular period of their lives. Also, a lot of kids that suffer bullying choose to not say or do anything about it out of shame or fear, so Ok-dong's behaviour is totally believable.

Bullying plot aside... I really liked the scene with Maria in the closet. It showed us a side of her we hadn't seen so far. This is the first time we've seen her vulnerable. I think that scene gives her character and makes her more relatable.

You guys going understand why this arc and the bullying is important in a couple of chapters

Dex-chan lover
Well at least we got the backstory, or enough of it.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, while I'm not a fan of the amount of real estate the bullying is taking up this chapter pushed forward a ton of important things. Jiu-tae and Maria's interactions and the closeness and proximity, the small things Maria does when she looks at him, their complete comfort in being under the comforter together, it's establishing a very close-knit relationship between the two. Plus we got something incredibly important about Maria's past and about how she is today as a result.

Unfortunately because the manga was doing something important at the same time as dropping a pretty common trope (oh no, girl who is staying with me is here while childhood friend showed up, hide, oh man awkward circumstances!) it made Jiu-tae come off reeeeeeally shitty. Like, Maria is having a PTSD episode in the closet, his friend is trying to talk to him about their mutual friend being bullied and he's making faces and not paying attention. Not a good look.

Kinda shitty the friend makes excuses for Jiu-tae, she shouldn't have to do this herself and go "Oh well he's under a lot of pressure."

@OniBarubary
Maybe next time she'll have some common courtesy and call ahead of time or just tell him that shit over the phone lmfao
No offense but I just hate when people act like emails and texts aren't a thing.
Also, lets not act like the MC knew about the PTSD. Thats just plain unfair.

@gptemp8916
SO MUCH THIS. People act like this shit doesn't happen on a near daily basis. It's so common IRL that Japan has a slang term for this type of bullying X-D

Dex-chan lover
Oh, no, I agree. I meant that because we as readers have a whole overview of the situation he comes off shitty to us because we know everything; but he doesn't. How would he have ever known about Maria's issues? You can tell by his reaction afterwards when she's on him that he immediately takes it seriously. I still think the trope is also kinda lame when it happens which colors my view of it further because it's like, he's acting goofy when she's trying to have a really serious talk with him.

She's not blameless either, no one seems to be handling this right.

All the messed up stuff that happened in this chapter aside... those two kissing and Jiu-tae interrupting was funny asf😂😂😂

Dex-chan lover
@OniBarubary He easily comes off real shitty to her even at best, but we (should) know what he was stressing about, not really even listening what was being said. He paid a lot of attention, but to a completely another thing. A bit ironic, when three people at the room have a different problem at once, completely unrelated and still relevant. Even better is, that the two compatriots are suffering from PTSD from the same person, probably unbeknownst to each other.

The bit about his bad handling is also a bit dishonest, as one really can't handle one serious thing well, when stressing their ass off about another. Hearing that one's parent died, while wrestling, for example, would either lead to the wrestler dealing his business first and the news hitting home afterwards, or jamming up mid match and losing. You really can't call either of the situations "bad handling" in either taking the news nonchalantly or bumbling up a match, can you? While she had little way of knowing (like with his behavior), it's purely her fault in the way she brought up the news.

Dex-chan lover
what a handsome smile
giPdmle.png

this surely would never do anything devious

Users who are viewing this thread