Fire Punch - Vol. 8 Ch. 83

Dex-chan lover
As a time skip manga it was pretty interesting, and the time skips being the result of the discussion of what happens if a person lives forever is pretty interesting. It had a lot of meaning to it, but not much that us mortal people would care about. A fun escape from thinking about the realities of the world, I guess

Dex-chan lover
Just re-read this out of a whim and now remembering what I fekt when I first read it, it was better than I expected.

Dex-chan lover
Fujimoto's best work yet. I am glad to have read it before and I am sure I will reread it again!

Dex-chan lover
Read "Goodbye, Eri" if you haven't, that's Fujimoto's best work imho
I've read all of his available works in Mangadex. I like Goodbye Eri a lot but I personally prefer longer stories. As a one shot though, Goodbye Eri is amazing.

Fed-Kun's army
I've read all of his available works in Mangadex. I like Goodbye Eri a lot but I personally prefer longer stories. As a one shot though, Goodbye Eri is amazing.
It could be its own volume lol, it's what, 200+ pages long?

Dex-chan lover
It could be its own volume lol, it's what, 200+ pages long?
Yeah it's pretty long, however (and this is a compliment to Fujimoto's writing ability) it's very easy to read so the many pages don't feel as long. Also I really enjoy seeing how characters change and improve (or harden) through use of multiple story arcs and emotional points. Having it all packed within a single volume as you mention, while still very entertaining, would not put it above for me in comparison to his longer works, such as FP and Part 1 CSM.

The plot was a little convoluted but I liked how it handled the themes of purpose and companionship. Each point where Agni was exhorted to "live" felt impactful and changed the direction meaningfully. I appreciated that he had a decently complex psyche, variously despairing, hoping, and persevering throughout the story. He was also fairly self aware, which can be a rarity in these sorts of stories. I thought the "fake it til you make it" motif toward the end was an interesting idea from the author. I'm not really sure what I think of the commentary on religion, although it was one of the most prominent features of the story. Certainly, it was primarily portrayed negatively, as we see it sprang from delusion and caused suffering to both the in and outgroups. But there wasn't a hysterical condemnation and we do see how it brought some amount of structure and prosperity with both Judah's cult and Agnism. I think it did well to have more of a supernatural bent rather than lean into the scifi.

All in all, this was a page turner and decently thought provoking, and I enjoyed reading it. I'll probably go read CSM after this lol.

Users who are viewing this thread