Flying Witch - Ch. 77 - Friendly face first fall

Dex-chan lover
I love that the judges know and just watched them do their thing. Wonder how bad it went before to make it very boring for the judges....

Supporter
So, I don't quite get why the bartender can speak Japanese. Is she a witch? Or is that just a convenient plot device so the scene works?

Fake Akane's expression at the bottom of 27 may be one of my favorites in the series.

Dex-chan lover
So dark witches can manipulate base magic to create new effects, I guess light witches can manipulate existing magic, seeing how Akane could easily dispel the disguises and mist, and is able to copy magic really easily?

Dex-chan lover
Figures they'd have to send the Japan team to a place they know well, and it's hilarious that whether a local would know their names is something they overlooked. It's the sort of detail you'd miss in your plans if you've got tunnel-vision.

Dex-chan lover
So, I don't quite get why the bartender can speak Japanese. Is she a witch? Or is that just a convenient plot device so the scene works?

Fake Akane's expression at the bottom of 27 may be one of my favorites in the series.
Weeb, or might have Japanese relatives.

Dex-chan lover
So dark witches can manipulate base magic to create new effects, I guess light witches can manipulate existing magic, seeing how Akane could easily dispel the disguises and mist, and is able to copy magic really easily?
I'm not sure what Akane does is because of her Light-alignment or because she's Akane. She's always been noted throughout the whole series for doing some pretty outrageous things that other witches wouldn't even consider doing, much less at her young age. And booze just lowers her inhibitions even more.

Dex-chan lover
I love that the judges know and just watched them do their thing. Wonder how bad it went before to make it very boring for the judges....
From what they say, it’s boring because everyone is being good kids so nothing happened.
While back in their days, they will play out their dirty tricks to win right to host the game, and all the sabotage is part of the fun.

So they really enjoy how the Norway team go out of their way to make something out of ordinary, and the Japan team to fight back so it doesn’t finish easily.

Dex-chan lover
From what they say, it’s boring because everyone is being good kids so nothing happened.
While back in their days, they will play out their dirty tricks to win right to host the game, and all the sabotage is part of the fun.

So they really enjoy how the Norway team go out of their way to make something out of ordinary, and the Japan team to fight back so it doesn’t finish easily.
No, what I mean is what caused the previous competitions that forced people to be goody two shoes. The judges are really old anyway so they might be referring to days when witches are very free spirited and such. Maybe it's related to that old prophecy they been talking about where the witches are forced to hide themselves to humanity.

Aggregator gang
Thank you for the translation! They was a pretty fun arc. Makes me wonder though. Would bunjee jumping be scary for witches who fly often in the first place?
Like people already said, yes, control / the feeling of control and lack thereof.
I do aerial silks, I can climb to the top no problem. I struggle to climb a ladder equally as high. Same for many others in my group. When we have to switch something up at the ceiling, we climb the silks rather than a ladder.
Also, even though I can climb that high, doing a drop or flip is a struggle.

For a witch bungee jumping they don't have their device (usually a broom) that allows them to fly, plus they're probably by a normal person that's running the jump and so they can't use magic. Otherwise Akane wouldn't have been freefalling in ...France? where she got the name Cliffscooper where she used magic to dig into the cliff for the friction.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/7daba6c4-0221-4101-ba8b-ece4b046925d/19

Dex-chan lover
No, what I mean is what caused the previous competitions that forced people to be goody two shoes. The judges are really old anyway so they might be referring to days when witches are very free spirited and such. Maybe it's related to that old prophecy they been talking about where the witches are forced to hide themselves to humanity.
Rather than prophecy or incident forcing them to be more rule abiding, could just be generation gap and change in lifestyle.
They had noticed the rulebook itself say nothing about following the rule, only to not get caught.

The Great Sabbath are held every 20 years. During the previous event, Akane and the other witches would have still been babies. Makoto wasn't even born yet.
If we stack a few more occassions, it would have been more than half century, human society had grown bigger. Assuming those who were raised in modern society would be more used to how orders are kept and breakers aren't treated well by the society. That could have brought the change on how the witches learn to not recklessly try to take risk by crossing the line.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Considering these are witches that fly on brooms (hence no fear of heights) ain’t bungee’ing more of a reward than punishment?

Dex-chan lover
man I'd be really pissed off at those Norwegian witches. Dunno why, since everyone seems to take it in stride, but the lengths they went to would no longer be in the "funny prank" territory for me

Dex-chan lover
Akane is as skilled as she is powerful. I'd imagine that disguise-removing magic carries a genuine risk of ripping the target's flesh off their bones Hellraiser-style, but she makes it looks so easy even while completely shitfaced.

man I'd be really pissed off at those Norwegian witches. Dunno why, since everyone seems to take it in stride, but the lengths they went to would no longer be in the "funny prank" territory for me
for people with reality-bending magical powers, the whole thing would only amount to a minor inconvenience.

Aggregator gang
Dex-chan lover
Rather than prophecy or incident forcing them to be more rule abiding, could just be generation gap and change in lifestyle.
They had noticed the rulebook itself say nothing about following the rule, only to not get caught.

The Great Sabbath are held every 20 years. During the previous event, Akane and the other witches would have still been babies. Makoto wasn't even born yet.
If we stack a few more occassions, it would have been more than half century, human society had grown bigger. Assuming those who were raised in modern society would be more used to how orders are kept and breakers aren't treated well by the society. That could have brought the change on how the witches learn to not recklessly try to take risk by crossing the line.
Maybe with the generational shift but it's not really a solid reason for this series I believe. Witches are pretty traditional for this series. Even if there's something new, they still work on the old stuff as well.

I do agree with the last part. It's more likely because of human population skyrocketing in the start of the industrial era, their movement in the background continued to be restrained as time went by.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread