From Leveling Up the Hero to Leveling Up a Nation - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - A Merchant

Group Leader
That soroban really caught my eye lol. Glad I wasn't the only one.

@Otakuman706 I counted 1 - 32 beads it's a really weird looking thing ain't it :D
i could see a Base 32 / 64 abacus working with hex or decimals (by ignoring any bead past 5/10) but more than likely the one who did the base cgi model probably got tired and screwed up since it corresponds with the traditional (1+4) x n layout

@Lexical
Yeah, it did strike me as odd when I first saw it 😂
I didn't take the time to actually examine and count it, but the fact that this even came up in discussion is a perfect example of one of the reasons I freaking love this community. Such fantastic nerdery 🤣
It's been a while since I thought about it tbh, but I actually finished up my studying on them by building one (iirc based on a 'common' Chinese model) by hand and learning how to use it myself, and then trying to teach some others a bit about them. It's still floating around in my hoard somewhere, every so often I still come across it.

Anyway, yeah, I imagine you're right, I think a mistake/'laziness' or the like is probably far more likely than them having such a relatively small detail have much meaning or any more complex system behind it. I know some cultures still (or did a few years back anyway) have some.... appreciation for their use, sometimes with some basic lessons, and whatnot, but even then I think most aside from those really interested for various reasons quickly kinda just drop them.

From what I saw/read/was told, it kinda reminded me of how cursive is (or was, again, at least years back) still taught in America in many elementary schools, but then not really used much or for very long. I can only imagine it's even less of a thing in many places now, but before, after having it taught to us, and then using/improving it for one or two years, they all but banned us from using it for school work.
Followed shortly by requiring most, if not all possible, papers being typed, something I would have to guess has only become even more the norm as tech has advanced and been embraced increasingly with time-- something likely speed up even more what with Corona-chan and 'distance learning' being used now.

... 🤔
Well I guess that's enough rambling for this text wall🤣

Group Leader
@Otakuman706 It's not that much of a wall :D And unfortunately that's how the cookie crumbles, so far as western school board bureaucracies go. My favourite quote on the paring down of school curriculum "There was no warning, no announcement, nobody asked us if we agreed; it just somehow faded away into the educational abyss, along with other lost enigmas like cursive, detention and Bill Nye The Science Guy "

@Lexical
Certainly a good, yet sad quote there. Hopefully we'll see more and more pushing in the other direction as more have pointed to these types of issues, but tbh I'd be lying if I said I was very optimistic.

And, also tbh, I don't miss cursive personally, but I've always had 'doctor's handwriting' 🤣 But I do recognize the decreased usage of it and more handwritten (and similar) stuff as a loss; even if it's not exactly my favorite thing, I know it has it's place.

But geez, Bill Nye (and similar) falling away from usage more and more is a shame I really feel personally. Growing up I know his shows certainly helped to foster my interest in the sciences and just learning in general. I am glad that similar science communicators are out there, on YT and the like, but often it looks like the impetus is more on those already interested in finding such content, instead of using such tools to help get a wider group interested in the first place.

I guess at least I take some solace in the fact that some of those 'in the field' recognize this type of issue and some do try to help correct for it, in what small ways they can. One good teacher can make a world of difference, though the current system certainly often doesn't make it easy to do so.

I could go on more and more, but that'll just be straying even further from the original subject so I'll cut it here😅
Anyway it's been a nice little discussion (even if including somewhat negative changes) here, cheers mate 🍻

Double-page supporter
Ok, the loli and the tiama looks like in mc's harem, noice

Fed-Kun's army
So this means the will be zero romance in this manga, right?

Dex-chan lover
So there was a cunt in the party. Well, one out of 5 is not too bad, I guess...

@DatOneGuy Considering that healer girl clicked her tongue after mc didn't defent himself makes me think that there is more to her than just being a bitch, I dunno what was her plan tho.

Dex-chan lover
Dunno if its the translation or just me, but there were a few things that didnt make sense.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah there were a few places where the text didnt match the meaning of the rest of the line of though, actually were saying the opposite.

Fed-Kun's army
Whelp. I don't like Tsundere Loli. There's playful teasing and then there's trying to make people feel like unwelcomed shit via guilt. Maybe that's sensitivity, feel free to correct me and say which end of the spectrum you found her closer to.

Also, I'm confused. How does that test work again?

Aggregator gang
As a person who just started reading this and just being introduced to different characters I hate her single mindingly but I will still give her the benefit of the doubt because as I see the mc don't look like he takes her remarks seriously, might be because they've known each other pass these"teaseful" remarks.
There is genuine abusing then there is this...although it's still not nice of her as this just mean she can't reading the atmosphere, lacks self awareness and has a sharp tongue.
Still could cause some serious misunderstanding and argument with her future encounters if she doesn't correct that.
Need a real patient person to deal with all that.

Better move on than dwell on it.

Users who are viewing this thread