From Leveling Up the Hero to Leveling Up a Nation - Vol. 2 Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
yup
giphy.gif

Dex-chan lover
Finally a non western government. I'm a bit tired of all the medieval fantasy novels having an imaginary European-type government.

I find it curious that the proof of his Lordship, is a sword. In European countries like Spain sometimes " Royal public-servants" had a "Bastón de mando-sceptre of command". The certificate with the title given by the King, was supposedly rolled up into the spectre.

I didn't understand it in the LN and I don't understand it in the manga. How on earth did he think that the change of the noble owner of a territory could be done by a simple civil servant?.

Dex-chan lover
Ah, so here’s where it becomes utterly generic nonsense, got it.

Dex-chan lover
so no taxes or responsibilities and all you have to do is attend a meeting once a year? how exactly does the "great king" hold any power over any lord?
sounds more like separate kingdoms meeting to keep the peace.

Dex-chan lover
@Doomer This, the "kingdom" makes no sense. If the "lords" are not paying taxes why the fuck is the "king" bestowing/allowing their position of power?

Somehow im really digging this city.... it has the feel of shogunate japan era but mixed with modern architecture and civilization..... kinda like mythical city or god realm takamagahara

@Doomer @ So-chan

My guess is that it is similar to noble rights in actual history. You see, nobles were pretty much always exempt from taxes, it's the peasants that have to pay it. The way it works is that nobles have a land that they govern under authority from the king, for example, 3 villages that serve the local lord. These territories, while under the governance of the lord, are technically the property of the King, who lets the lord use it for their mutual benefit. The lord is also given territory for his own use, such as forests, fields, lakes, etc. that he has the peasants work on for free (as this is their obligation). The king's benefit is that a good lord can cause money to flow to him through mercantile trades tax, tax payed by the peasants (they pay to the lord and to the king and sometimes to the church too), and he is also given the loyalty and most importantly military help of the lord should the need arise. The lord himself does not have to pay a tax, as their tax is basically their duty as a noble.

Users who are viewing this thread