Fukakai na Boku no Subete o - Vol. 5 Ch. 23

Banned
It doesn't seem like mogumo is a "non binary" character like many westerners advertise with this manga.

Pretty dark stuff, where is my fluff?!?!
Btw i feel like mogumo more than not feeling himself as a boy is more because the things he liked werent what a boy/male would like but thats just dumb liking something shouldnt be a label for your gender but there is too what he told his mom that was pretty harsh too.
Hopefully next chapter doesnt drag the issue that much longer.

Damn, how can something that started from a hentai become something so dramatic and complex?

Also Mogumo is not in the wrong here, nor the sister. More so is the society bias than anything else.

Fed-Kun's army
@smolbaka Why not? In this chapter, Mogumo said that "I merely put up with having this 'male' symbol applied to me, but it's not like I wanted to be a girl either." Seems pretty consistent with their previous statements of "I'm not a boy or a girl," i.e. non-binary. They leaned towards feminine clothes in part because they like cute stuff (which isn't exclusive to any gender) and in part because they actively disliked being a boy, so being more feminine was relatively better, even if their ideal was not being either male or female.

Banned
@mirewitch

I think alot of this dislike of being a boy stems from his father constantly telling him that boys shouldn't like cute stuff.

Hammering that kinda stuff at an early age, maybe he would think that being a male "sets him back" from liking cute things. On a personal level that no one really understands but himself. Of course, he now knows that boys can like cute things, but still thinks that he can't, as a boy.

As some sort of "pride" in a backwards way. It's hard to explain.

Fed-Kun's army
@smolbaka I agree Mogumo's father has some really retrograde ideas about gender roles for both men and women, and clearly that nonsense has messed up both Mogumo and Sakura, but I don't think that's the whole story. Guys who like cute stuff don't typically try to claw their adam's apple out with a knife. They don't typically have breakdowns in the bathroom after being referred to as a crossdressing boy (chapter 1). Mogumo has pretty clear gender dysphoria, and just allowing them to like cute stuff isn't sufficient to treat that. They need acceptance and support for who they are. After all, Mogumo in chapter 1 was able to like cute stuff - they wore a female uniform, grew out their hair, etc. But they were still miserable. What made Mogumo happy was being accepted as "not a boy or a girl" by everyone at the crossdressing cafe.

Dex-chan lover
Rather than a gun, he jumps on the knife pretty fast after the voice crack,heh. No wonder the mom turned that way, I thought only the sister saw the knife scene. Dad probably getting shit on at the office as well to after the recall (or probably a demotion as well), shit gonna be more extra depressing for all . Mogumo pretty much gave trauma to the whole family.

Banned
@mirewitch

I don't think pushing for acceptance for someone who has dysphoria is a good healthy thing. We aren't really doing anything about his problems. Rather neglect and ignore them completely and just calling it "being yourself ❤️"

Years later, when these people start noticing things changing with their body, the same exact thing that happened in this chapter will play out.

I'm trans myself and this chapter hits right at home. Gender dysphoria can become so overwhelming and you feel desperate for relief.

Dex-chan lover
So this is the next curveball after the worst childhood friend girl ever?

After this chapter, it is clear that Mogumo, the sister and the mother have got karma from what they did to one another in the past. But when would the father get his own karma after applying inappropriate patriarchy pressure to his family?

I had a hunch that their story was a bit like this, but it's still rough to read. I'm glad Mogu and Sakura seem to be making up. I don't have high hopes for the imminent parental meeting, but given the recurring theme of 'people can be terrible but they can learn and grow', maybe there is hope for a better home life after so many years of abuse and trauma.

Fed-Kun's army
@smolbaka I fail to see how social acceptance is "doing nothing," or what you think is a more effective treatment for dysphoria. I'm also baffled by your baseless assumption that Mogumo will detransition "years later."

I could start throwing studies about the benefits of social acceptance of people with dysphoria at you, but that seems outside the scope of a manga chapter thread. So I will simply say that the manga has provided plenty of evidence that Mogumo's dysphoria has been lessened by getting social acceptance (Mogumo's increase in happiness after being accepted as "not a boy or a girl" by the crossdressing cafe), and worsened by well intentioned people telling them they had to accept being male (Mogumo's father in this chapter). By contrast you have provided no textual evidence to back up your detransition claim. I think you are projecting your own biases onto a story that disagrees with your anti- nonbinary acceptance beliefs.

Group Leader
Imagine reading a manga about a non-binary person while simultaneously maintaining that non-binary people don't exist. Won't this person get tired of it at some point? Why do they keep reading it? Or it is about inciting flames in the comment section to make it miserable? Because I believe this is the only reason they do it.

Users who are viewing this thread