Fushigi no Kuni no Bird - Vol. 1 Ch. 3 - Kasukabe

Dex-chan lover
I'd ask if there's a place somewhat safe outside instead >,> I wouldn't be able to sleep otherwise

Kind... good-natured... but absolutely hideous...

Old timey people were brutal.

Dex-chan lover
Man the difference between the manga and the letters written is pretty stark.

Dex-chan lover
Didn't they mention something about her being accomplished traveler-writer? I thought bugs and bad water were something she'll be somewhat used to.

Is it normal to refer to other people as creature back then for someone of her background? If yes, is it only for someone foreign to her country, or include others too? (if not for everyone, then at least someone poorer).

Group Leader
Didn't they mention something about her being accomplished traveler-writer? I thought bugs and bad water were something she'll be somewhat used to.

Is it normal to refer to other people as creature back then for someone of her background? If yes, is it only for someone foreign to her country, or include others too? (if not for everyone, then at least someone poorer).
Her previous trips were to Australia, Colorado, and Hawaii, so she probably wasn't expecting quite so many insects. (It's a bit of a shock, even in modern times, once you get even slightly out of the city)

And yes, "creature" was a way of saying "person" back in the 1800s-ish that has since fallen out of use. Jane Austen uses it pretty often in her works, notably in Pride and Prejudice when Elizabeth gets engaged to Mr. Darcy and says of herself, "I am the happiest creature in the world."

Dex-chan lover
Her previous trips were to Australia, Colorado, and Hawaii, so she probably wasn't expecting quite so many insects. (It's a bit of a shock, even in modern times, once you get even slightly out of the city)

And yes, "creature" was a way of saying "person" back in the 1800s-ish that has since fallen out of use. Jane Austen uses it pretty often in her works, notably in Pride and Prejudice when Elizabeth gets engaged to Mr. Darcy and says of herself, "I am the happiest creature in the world."
Not sure about the other two, but don't Australia got lots of insect? Or is it just famous for big ones?

Group Leader
Not sure about the other two, but don't Australia got lots of insect? Or is it just famous for big ones?
I honestly have no idea. I've never been to Australia personally so I can't say how they compare, but I can say you would be amazed at the number of cockroaches you see in a semi-rural Japanese city even today.

Users who are viewing this thread