Fushigi no Kuni no Bird - Vol. 4 Ch. 16 - Echigo Kaido

VIP
isabella sound like a very humble girl, during it's time...

Dex-chan lover
if you read the wikipedia article, you will know that actually she was rather old

Dex-chan lover
Why wasn't her scar shown before in the bath/spring chapter>

EDIT: Looks like there are still a lot of trans to go through <3

Dex-chan lover
well it's probably for the best she wasn't able to get the cow's milk because it probably would have tasted horrible

Dex-chan lover
Modern cows can be ridden as well, but since milking cows udders are so heavy now (cows today produce ten times the milk per year compared to the cows in time of the story) you should limit yourself to cows that have not yet given birth/started producing milk.

@owlette - it would still probably have been the kind of milk she was used to. Or she could have boiled it herself. (It's the different degrees of pasteurization that changes the taste the most, but there's no guarantee that she would have been used to such milk anyway.) Rather than taste, the risks of typhoid fever or tuberculosis through raw milk should probably be a greater concern - but upon checking that it seems that the dangers are reasonably low with fresh milk, the danger seems to be the highest if you let the milk stand around for a while. (This message brought to you by a random milk-drinker)

Dex-chan lover
There's something I want to know.
I had started reading the book a few years ago but lost access to it and never tried to read again.
All this nudity was really real and common at those times?
For the males, you can see they barely dressed on old and period movies, but for censoring reasons you never see same for the women, so I not sure if it was that common.

@kuma
This manga makes thing "moer" for her side. She was a typical westerner/british subject of her time, good read the book to see the way she talks about everything and everyone.

Group Leader
@Panino Poor people definitely went around half-naked a lot of the time. When you only own the one set of clothes, there's not a lot of opportunity to wash it, so you'll try and keep it in decent condition by not wearing it while doing sweaty/smelly labor. That's a reason why tattooing was so popular until it was banned, it was a way of "wearing" clothing. It wasn't until the Meiji government tried to modernize/Westernize the country that nakedness became frowned upon.

"The houses were alive with unclothed children, and as I repassed in the evening unclothed men and women, nude to their waists, were sitting outside their dwellings with the small [children, who were] clothed only in amulets..."
"[Children] don’t wear any clothing till they are seven or eight years old, and are then dressed like their elders."
"Few of the men wore anything but the [loincloth], the women were unclothed to their waists and such clothing as they had was very dirty, and held together by mere force of habit."

That's not to say quite a few instances aren't simply fanservice though...

Incidentally, since Unbeaten Tracks in Japan is in public domain, you can read it for free online here or the Kindle store has a free copy.

The art changed it seems. I preferred the other version and that Isabella and Ito. They both look much younger now.

As for women being topless apparently it was common in my country(Sri Lanka) as well in the 1700s. With only the nobles(of both sexes) being able to wear tops. It doesn't seem to have been completely due to expense but some kind of status symbol. Shawls were said to have been worn instead when needed.

i noticed this but the japanese people they always come across are the kindest, i love them sm, although id have prefered if there was more cooking in the manga

Users who are viewing this thread