Fushigi no Kuni no Bird - Vol. 9 Ch. 44 - Tsugaru Strait

Dex-chan lover
Oh what a cool scene with Darwin! It's always a delight when this manga updates- thank you so much for your hard work translating, and the included footnotes are literally always a delight to read. I agree about leaving in "mongoloid"- its absolutely some old school phrenology era racisim, but its also literally the words used. I think leaving it in and then contextualizing the use is the most responsible option.

Group Leader
Oh what a cool scene with Darwin! It's always a delight when this manga updates- thank you so much for your hard work translating, and the included footnotes are literally always a delight to read. I agree about leaving in "mongoloid"- its absolutely some old school phrenology era racisim, but its also literally the words used. I think leaving it in and then contextualizing the use is the most responsible option.
I won't lie, I agonized about using the word but it is the correct historical term and accuracy trumps sugar coating for me. At least in the footnotes I can denounce it for the racist, completely baseless crap it is.

Dex-chan lover
I won't lie, I agonized about using the word but it is the correct historical term and accuracy trumps sugar coating for me. At least in the footnotes I can denounce it for the racist, completely baseless crap it is.
I don't blame you- it's a tough choice! But I think it's worth it to take a hard look at what a historical figure like Darwin studied and believed in. Being frank and clear is a good habit when working with historical stories, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread