Fushigi no Kuni no Bird

Gosh, it's back. Why now?
I currently read the newest volume 5. Because I desperately want to read.
I PM you on facebook, it has been ages.

This manga is great, I love it.
Both of them are so adorable.

Aggregator gang
She's quite overbearing in her behaviour, especially when you consider time frame of the story. Is that faithful depiction based on her books? NVM didn't read translation notes. No wonder she felt totally out of place.

So glad I saw stumbled upon this manga! Utterly in love with it and its historical roots. Whoever is translating this series, please keep going. It's fantastic :) I feel like I'm learning a bit about 19th century Japan.

Going by the art I almost can't believe this isn't Kaoru Mori. But checking for "Sassa Taiga"'s mangaupdates only shows 1 title which is this. Hmmm.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@Excelsior
It's in the same magazine (harta) as kaoru mori's otoyomegatari, so I'm certain Sassa Taiga worked with kaoru mori before (probably as an assistant). the art is too similar to be a coincidence.

I want to share my impression to recent developments in volumes 4 and 5, for those who are curious. I don't give a lot of spoilers, or minor spoilers, just as an outline.

Are they cannon? They are so close, and they are finally open to each other. Lol
55564515_539531426537699_1836987001744654336_o.jpg
The slice of life aspect getting more and more felt there. The pace is also going well. Miss Bird's spirit really can melt anyone. Yes, and funny too. If this is more realistic, there might be no excessive development about their relationship - as lovers for example, let alone question their status, as a foreigner and local people. Maybe as a friend? Most likely. But I want to see them more than that!

54368120_539531423204366_354159073333084160_o.jpg
In volume 4 and 5, there is a lot of flashbacks occurred. Mainly related to Miss Bird's safety while wandering, and questioning his resolution/fear towards his previous master. His master is hella strict.

I want to see if Miss Bird will be able to take him out of the nest?

@cgr
I don't think so.
See all the series published in the magazine, for example Aoi Horus, Vlad Dracula ...also have realistic background, heart-warming and melancholic art.
It seems that it has become a characteristic of the magazine.

cgr

Dex-chan lover
@goronyanpai
neither of those manga are nearly as similar to kaoru mori's art as this one.

for example, isabella bird looks a lot like ms. bennett cranry ('shirley' is on mangadex, the sequel 'shirley madison' is not)
https://mangabat.com/chapter-serie/1088896807/chap_1

@cgr
I will not go far to say it is almost similar or very similar.
But the impression it caused. Its effect, screen tone or ink.

Nah, forget it.

Read all of translated chapters last night after stumbling on this through bakaupdates. Thank you so much for translating and sharing this absolute gem of a manga!

The art is definitely Kaoru Mori-esque at times and that's never a bad thing. It also becomes its own thing and the art evolution is wonderful.

Isabella is a fun character and I like seeing Meiji Japan through her eyes. Ito is pretty good too and his relationship with Isabella is lovely. I hope that this isn't dropped/abandoned. Would love to read more!

I appreciate the effort made to harmonize the manga text with the original English book!

This is incredible! And here I was thinking that I had already read everything worthwhile. Glad to be proved wrong

Aggregator gang
Was surprised about how much the Yen was worth at this time. Its amazing looking at how much the Yen is worth now and how the currency system basically completely changed from the inflation caused by WW2.

Aggregator gang
@maisonaustyn Has a lot more to do with the universal ditching of precious-metal standards during and after the World Wars. Plus the Japanese haven't bothered "inflation correcting" their currency notation by chopping off the extraneous zeroes for some time now - the Italian lira used to be the same way before the Euro came along.

Users who are viewing this thread