Fushigi no Kuni no Bird

There is no ´Mexican dollar´ in México there are pesos and one dollar is about 25 Mexican pesos.

Group Leader
@Tsuru1237 Mexico uses the peso now but at the time of Miss Bird's journey it was frequently referred to as "the Spanish dollar" and widely used in the United States as well. Take a look at https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/1884074.pdf for more information

@toriaezu My bad, Just started to read and I thought it was placed in a more recent setting. Although I am unable to download the article I am able to remember what I was taught about México's economy during the evangelization. It's nice to see a translator that uses sources. Keep it up!

Group Leader
@Tsuru1237 In the work this manga is based on, the author says "no foreign money except the Mexican dollar passes in Japan" (page 7). There's even a picture on wikipedia of a Mexican dollar coin with Japanese stamped onto it afterwards. It's definitely something that could be easily seen as a mistake though, especially since Mexico doesn't use the dollar anymore. It seems like it's more commonly called "Spanish dollar" these days but I did want to match the phrasing used in the book...

I hope you enjoy the manga!

I must say, I simply love the translation. At first, I was afraid of how a foreign lady would be depicted in a manga (sorry manga, it's just I've had some bad experiences) and indeed Miss Bird is a bit moe-fied as the translator put it, and for whatever reason, grown younger from the 47 years she was supposed to be at the time of her Japan travels to 20-something. However, it's nearly not as bad as I had thought it would be. Maybe that's at least partly due to the translation being so excellent, but I can't say that the art and story are poor either. I gave this great series 10/10.

Group Leader
@Tabitha Thank you for the comment! I'm very lucky that as a fan translator I have freedom to take time to do as much research into the book and any customs I don't know about.

Read a manga about a British woman who is supposed to be 45 years old when she made her journey to Japan look like a 20-something!

My god, I'm suffering so much because I
want her and Ito to end up together, I just love their relationship. I'm 99% sure that is not going to happen though, both because it didn't happen in real life and because she actually seems to like his fiancé. I'm ready to cry a river when it ends :C
. Thank you so much to the translators, you guys are amazing. This has been one of my favorite mangas ♥

Double-page supporter
"What is it, Miss Bird?"
"Yes, Miss Bird."
-Ito's automatic, Isabella's-crazy-whim response

God, I love these characters, and the storytelling.

Since there are some changes in the story and Isabella's real life (her father was still alive during her first adventure, she was older -45?- when she went to Japan) I am still hoping she'll end up marrying Ito like please I'll cry if they don't end up together

Has the manga been dropped? I've been reading it over the last couple of days and I absolutely love it, especially Isabella and Ito's dynamic (kinda ship them ngl)

Group Leader
Has the manga been dropped? I've been reading it over the last couple of days and I absolutely love it, especially Isabella and Ito's dynamic (kinda ship them ngl)
No, I apologize for the very long time in between releases, real life has been rather hectic this past year but the next chapter is almost ready

Users who are viewing this thread