Futari Monologue

Contributor
You know, in actuality, Mikage going farther and farther off the deep end like this instead of talking about her feelings would probably end tragically. (She seems to be heading for gradually more predatorial territory... It's like the premise is waffling between her being a nice-seeming but terrifying girl and a terrifying-seeming but nice girl. As a result, I don't know what to feel about some things.)

@apothem:

I don't know what resources you're looking at, but just considering the manga itself, how would this not be shoujo-ai? I mean, a non-romantic interpretation of Mikage's internal monologue and actions is technically possible, almost, but that would be really stretching things far past suspension of disbelief.

Honestly, if anyone said it wasn't shoujo-ai at this point, it would almost smack a bit to me of old "lesbians aren't real, that's just girls being overly affectionate" talk.

Contributor
@Pokari MangaUpdates/MAL doesn't label it as shoujo ai. Not even GL subtext (in MU). I'm not questioning if there exists shoujo ai in this manga, I'm just questioning when it's "okay" to label a manga as such.

For example Sabagebu! also seemed to have some shoujo ai content, but it isn't labeled as such. WataMote was, temporarily, labeled as shoujo ai, but obviously that's not the "point" of the manga and thus it isn't (now) labeled as "shoujo ai". In fact, there are many things labeled (in MU) with a GL subtext that aren't labeled as shoujo ai simply because of the fact that it's not focused on, well, shoujo ai (another example: Comic Girls).

Contributor
@apothem:
My point was more that there's no reason to question a tag whose reason for existence is plainly evident and correct upon reading the work, and that I felt that this particular manga is a reasonably straightforward case. (i.e. it's true that there's plenty of ambiguous cases in other works—but the relationship in question here isn't a subplot or something between side characters; rather it's the entire point of the plot, and the center of most of the jokes too).

Also, manga updates does indeed have this listed as shoujo-ai, as of the present time. (It's possible that someone corrected it only after seeing your comment, though.)

Dex-chan lover
@Pokari @MooPoint Neither the official resource, the author himself, nor the live action adaptation adapts this work as romance. I do not want to make hasty conclusions, but judging by what I read, the plot is somewhere between baiting and parody of social anxiety. As for the practice of tagging, as a person with extensive experience on Baka-updates, I personally oppose the addition of this tag to any works that have yuri-ishness even in the slightest form. It litters the search and only misleads other people besides yuri fans.

UPD. Japanese wikipedia still calls this manga yuri, at least something. At the same time, even they do not mention any love between the heroines, indicating yuri only in genre and category.

Contributor
@SuperOniichan You're reviving an old discussion. I already went through the whole series (not read, but skimmed through the pictures) and can definitely confirm it's Yuri.

Dex-chan lover
@MooPoint Well, thanks for the reply. I just discussed the Russian fan translation of this manga and we had a question about the tag.

Group Leader
There's only one way this can end.
Futari-Monologue.png

Dex-chan lover
@DrWhoCares

Oh I thought that’s what it was(really like that series btw) I recognized whalegirl, didn’t recognize the girl sitting on the bench though.

Users who are viewing this thread