Futoku No Guild - Vol. 1 Ch. 1.1 - I'll Give It Everything I Have!

Contributor
Pretty sure it doesn't really mean anything since Manga up also have this in their list and they're farther ahead, at least compared to Comikey rn.

If i remember they're a few chapters behind the fantranslation.
Pretty much. Comikey is the one doing the translation, but as they were commissioned by Square Enix MangaUp will have the most recent chapters. It’ll appear on both services, but it’ll just take time.

Dex-chan lover
I don't get it. Why is Comikey doing these kinds of manga now? I thought that wasn't their M.O.

And fuck, does that mean Kredim had dropped the series?!

Dex-chan lover
There is nothing more damaging for the soul than seeing the dreaded "Official publisher."
To a student, maybe. As a person who works I'm happy I get to support my favorite artists. Better than trying to navigate Japanese websites only to find out your method of payment is no good on there (though that's uncommon nowadays).

Aggregator gang
To a student, maybe. As a person who works I'm happy I get to support my favorite artists. Better than trying to navigate Japanese websites only to find out your method of payment is no good on there (though that's uncommon nowadays).
Lets see, they always fuck up the translations, grammar mistakes, change the meaning of certain sentences, give the original author far too little of a cut, in many cases there is censorship to catter to american sensibilities (which get worse than China's by the day), and i have seen cases in which they use legal action to force fan translations out of websites many of which have more care and interest in the work than "official ones."Some authors have more venues in which you can support them, if you genuinely care about them use those venues instead, DO NOT enable the mediocrity of "official publishers."

Dex-chan lover
Lets see, they always fuck up the translations, grammar mistakes, change the meaning of certain sentences, give the original author far too little of a cut, in many cases there is censorship to catter to american sensibilities (which get worse than China's by the day), and i have seen cases in which they use legal action to force fan translations out of websites many of which have more care and interest in the work than "official ones."Some authors have more venues in which you can support them, if you genuinely care about them use those venues instead, DO NOT enable the mediocrity of "official publishers."
Correction to some of that, they change the lines to appeal the target audience, they localize the story and not just translate it since the honorifics or many other things in Japan are not concepts used outside Japan.
-
The one thing you can't deny, unfortunately, it's how even if the cut is really small, it's still a way to support the original author, fan translations don't do that and companies have all the rights they want to pull a cease and desists on fan translations, since you can't guarantee people won't make money out of content it's not theirs.
-
It's a cruel reality, but unfortunately you can't deny this is the one legal way to support the authors, but if you want a way to get it legally without "Official Publishers", then you can read the official japanese version, if you know how to read it that is.

Dex-chan lover
Lets see, they always fuck up the translations, grammar mistakes, change the meaning of certain sentences, give the original author far too little of a cut, in many cases there is censorship to catter to american sensibilities (which get worse than China's by the day),
Yup, censorship as well as localization is a big one. They sometimes like to put in cringe lingo or change lines to localize it, and often fail to properly translate certain stuff in a way that retains the original meaning, as they hate translation notes for some reason. This often times causes meanings to just be completely lost and certain elements just not getting pointed out at all.

Dex-chan lover
Worth bearing in mind that fan scanlations can also suffer from bad translations, typos, grammar mistakes, and sometimes they straight up make up stuff for lines they don't understand. Honestly the only thing fan scanlations in general can be trusted to be superior in is probably lack of censorship? For this series in particular I think the current scans we have are really difficult to follow at times due to awkward phrasing, so the official scanlations might be superior (I don't know though, I haven't checked). I'm happy that this series has gotten enough attention to get an official translation, given that the premise is likely off-putting to a lot of people.

Dex-chan lover
Who does this? All of them? And that's damaging to your soul? Quit being dramatic. At the end of the day all you care about is getting to read for free.

Dex-chan lover
Who does this? All of them? And that's damaging to your soul? Quit being dramatic. At the end of the day all you care about is getting to read for free.
I agree to that, at the end of the day, it's the one way to support the author other than buying manga directly out of Japan and reading it in Japanese, but if we could do that, we wouldn't be here.

Aggregator gang
Correction to some of that, they change the lines to appeal the target audience, they localize the story and not just translate it since the honorifics or many other things in Japan are not concepts used outside Japan.
-
The one thing you can't deny, unfortunately, it's how even if the cut is really small, it's still a way to support the original author, fan translations don't do that and companies have all the rights they want to pull a cease and desists on fan translations, since you can't guarantee people won't make money out of content it's not theirs.
-
It's a cruel reality, but unfortunately you can't deny this is the one legal way to support the authors, but if you want a way to get it legally without "Official Publishers", then you can read the official japanese version, if you know how to read it that is.
Really long post ahead, be warned:
Oh the localization argument, here is the thing, one of the biggest appeals manga has, is that its Japanese, its a window to another way of seeing and understanding the world, exposing yourself to something different to your own truly expands the mind, why the fuck are you consuming media from another culture if at the end of the day you want it changed to align with yours? You not only do a disservice to the material, but to yourself as well. Sure some stuff is untranslatable, especially the pun and kanji humor they like to use all the time, thats what translation notes are for (which they don't like using most of the time anyway, opting to use either cringy or shitty meme/topical humor that will grow stale in a week.) Other stuff like honorifics and cultural stuff (i.e: Food names, names of places, names of artifacts, cultural practices, etc. etc.) you can pick it up with enough critical thinking, most of us did back in the day when fansubs where the only thing we got. For fucks sake they have been doing this with videogames for years and its incredibly annoying (look up all the meme shit they added to yakuza's translation as an example). Also i am Latin American, i grew up with Latin American dubs, unlike the crappy american dubs, the works didn't need to be adapted, they only changed the language, the rest was left as is and we loved it, and hey its thanks to us that anime got a foothold internationally in the first place.
Sure we all know that artists in general get too little of a cut for their work, unless we see contracts we won't truly know if western releases truly gets them money or if any at all, but they are always behind convenient NDAs, even if we bought the Japanese raws, we don't really know how much the publishers take from the artist, that's why i will always advocate to donate directly to the artist when possible, if an artist you like doesn't have something like that, urge them to make it available, always try to cut off as many slimy middle men as possible.
Worth bearing in mind that fan scanlations can also suffer from bad translations, typos, grammar mistakes, and sometimes they straight up make up stuff for lines they don't understand. Honestly the only thing fan scanlations in general can be trusted to be superior in is probably lack of censorship? For this series in particular I think the current scans we have are really difficult to follow at times due to awkward phrasing, so the official scanlations might be superior (I don't know though, I haven't checked). I'm happy that this series has gotten enough attention to get an official translation, given that the premise is likely off-putting to a lot of people.
I agree, fan translations are flawed, some are incredibly so, which is to be expected, fan translators get by on donations mostly, therefore our standards are different with them, one thing is doing a flawed work for free, another is to ask money for a flawed work, when you buy something you expect it to be good, well, i hope you do, otherwise, what the fuck is wrong with you? When it comes to free stuff, we can tolerate it, but, something fan translations have over "official" ones is in its name, fan, i know fan translators personally, some do it for fun, others as a way to improve their Japanese skills, at the end of the day most of them care about the work somewhat. Its not the same case for official ones, when you ask for money the game changes, bad translations, typos, grammar, shitty localization, that shit doesn't fly anymore, if you consider yourself an educated consumer, you should have standards, the more leeway you give, the more they take, don't believe me? Look at AAA games. And then my next point, "official" always lack something, passion, when a translator goes on a rant on twitter to justify something stupid they did you can tell they are defending their ego not the work, not even Hanlon's razor can justify it, many of the ones who work on "official" don't care, and others, hate the fans.
If i were you i wouldn't hold my breath now that they picked up the series, they can just as well leave it in the bin after a while, you said it yourself "likely off-putting to a lot of people" that can and will be used against it, and because they still hold the rights, they can go after anyone who wants to keep it going.
At the end of the day, i am happy that someone has a silver lining, i just have seen too much bullshit, so forgive me for being a little jaded.
Oh my, lets see, remember when squeenix first released their app? Censored as if it was meant for the middle east, with ridiculous paywalls to have access to 1/3 of a chapter at a time? That wasn't a mistake, it was testing the waters to see what bullshit they can get away with.
Remember when crunchy used theirs subscribers money to fund a shitty wanna be anime that nobody wanted?
Remember when they sneaked in feminazi stuff in maid dragon? The "big brudder" thing in Higurashi? All the stuff they took out of the Chaos Head remake? All the censorship in Samurai Maidens? The changing of words in the Chrono Cross Remaster to sound more "gender inclusive"? How they pressured the creator of Senran Kagura to self-censor to pander to american sensibilities so much he up and left? Forgive me for having pattern recognition.
Trends cannot be understated, they are symptoms of something worse.
You are not helping creators by buying official manga, you are helping the publishers, you are only doing it to feel good about yourself, is it so hard to look up if the creator accepts donations? Or is it so hard to ask fellow fans to convince the creator to accept money directly from us? Do they do commissions? We can do international transactions easily now, what's stopping you?
Insult me and call me dramatic all you want, i donate to several artist's directly, because i want to see them work in what they like, and i want to make them know some of us care enough to go to them directly, even if the Colombian peso isn't much after exchange, i try, if that makes me an evil pirate who only wants to read stuff for free? I plead guilty.
If any who i answered to read this far, even if i didn't change your mind, i am proud of you for taking the time, knowing i can share my thoughts with someone else is always fun.

Dex-chan lover
Really long post ahead, be warned:
Oh the localization argument, here is the thing, one of the biggest appeals manga has, is that its Japanese, its a window to another way of seeing and understanding the world, exposing yourself to something different to your own truly expands the mind, why the fuck are you consuming media from another culture if at the end of the day you want it changed to align with yours? You not only do a disservice to the material, but to yourself as well. Sure some stuff is untranslatable, especially the pun and kanji humor they like to use all the time, thats what translation notes are for (which they don't like using most of the time anyway, opting to use either cringy or shitty meme/topical humor that will grow stale in a week.) Other stuff like honorifics and cultural stuff (i.e: Food names, names of places, names of artifacts, cultural practices, etc. etc.) you can pick it up with enough critical thinking, most of us did back in the day when fansubs where the only thing we got. For fucks sake they have been doing this with videogames for years and its incredibly annoying (look up all the meme shit they added to yakuza's translation as an example). Also i am Latin American, i grew up with Latin American dubs, unlike the crappy american dubs, the works didn't need to be adapted, they only changed the language, the rest was left as is and we loved it, and hey its thanks to us that anime got a foothold internationally in the first place.
Sure we all know that artists in general get too little of a cut for their work, unless we see contracts we won't truly know if western releases truly gets them money or if any at all, but they are always behind convenient NDAs, even if we bought the Japanese raws, we don't really know how much the publishers take from the artist, that's why i will always advocate to donate directly to the artist when possible, if an artist you like doesn't have something like that, urge them to make it available, always try to cut off as many slimy middle men as possible.

I agree, fan translations are flawed, some are incredibly so, which is to be expected, fan translators get by on donations mostly, therefore our standards are different with them, one thing is doing a flawed work for free, another is to ask money for a flawed work, when you buy something you expect it to be good, well, i hope you do, otherwise, what the fuck is wrong with you? When it comes to free stuff, we can tolerate it, but, something fan translations have over "official" ones is in its name, fan, i know fan translators personally, some do it for fun, others as a way to improve their Japanese skills, at the end of the day most of them care about the work somewhat. Its not the same case for official ones, when you ask for money the game changes, bad translations, typos, grammar, shitty localization, that shit doesn't fly anymore, if you consider yourself an educated consumer, you should have standards, the more leeway you give, the more they take, don't believe me? Look at AAA games. And then my next point, "official" always lack something, passion, when a translator goes on a rant on twitter to justify something stupid they did you can tell they are defending their ego not the work, not even Hanlon's razor can justify it, many of the ones who work on "official" don't care, and others, hate the fans.
If i were you i wouldn't hold my breath now that they picked up the series, they can just as well leave it in the bin after a while, you said it yourself "likely off-putting to a lot of people" that can and will be used against it, and because they still hold the rights, they can go after anyone who wants to keep it going.
At the end of the day, i am happy that someone has a silver lining, i just have seen too much bullshit, so forgive me for being a little jaded.

Oh my, lets see, remember when squeenix first released their app? Censored as if it was meant for the middle east, with ridiculous paywalls to have access to 1/3 of a chapter at a time? That wasn't a mistake, it was testing the waters to see what bullshit they can get away with.
Remember when crunchy used theirs subscribers money to fund a shitty wanna be anime that nobody wanted?
Remember when they sneaked in feminazi stuff in maid dragon? The "big brudder" thing in Higurashi? All the stuff they took out of the Chaos Head remake? All the censorship in Samurai Maidens? The changing of words in the Chrono Cross Remaster to sound more "gender inclusive"? How they pressured the creator of Senran Kagura to self-censor to pander to american sensibilities so much he up and left? Forgive me for having pattern recognition.
Trends cannot be understated, they are symptoms of something worse.
You are not helping creators by buying official manga, you are helping the publishers, you are only doing it to feel good about yourself, is it so hard to look up if the creator accepts donations? Or is it so hard to ask fellow fans to convince the creator to accept money directly from us? Do they do commissions? We can do international transactions easily now, what's stopping you?
Insult me and call me dramatic all you want, i donate to several artist's directly, because i want to see them work in what they like, and i want to make them know some of us care enough to go to them directly, even if the Colombian peso isn't much after exchange, i try, if that makes me an evil pirate who only wants to read stuff for free? I plead guilty.
If any who i answered to read this far, even if i didn't change your mind, i am proud of you for taking the time, knowing i can share my thoughts with someone else is always fun.
Excellent post, my guy.

The third section where you list some examples of this stuff happening could easily be expanded tenfold with various similar instances that have occurred and been observed in the past. The amount of times cases like these happened is just crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread