Gensou Gourmet - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - The Jewel Lobster

Dex-chan lover
@Pokari tf are you talking about? he's a glutton he's buying food for himself, thats what this entire manga is about. he invited her to come with because she seemed like she wanted to when he mentioned it to her in the first chapter. bosses giving people gifts or taking them out to eat is common, i dunno wtf you're talking about. there's also no reason to think thats the only reason, when he is literally is shown enjoying her company. she's only a maid there's no reason she should be paid some ridiculous salary, and the idea that she's being paid terribly is a baseless assumption.

Contributor
@botodopo:

Eh? You're the one who said "him buying her expensive food all the time means the exact opposite [of being an asshole]". Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by that...

But really, the matter isn't worth picking apart to this degree yet. There's not enough material to go on; I was just stating my first vague impressions and reasons for doubt.

@pokari You have never been invited to a dinner or a party have you? if someone invite you to an expensive party and demand nothing more than your enjoyment, would you refuse and say, man what a asshole.

Contributor
@darkcat28:

Without addressing any of the finer problems with your analogy:

One: Inviting your employees to an expensive dinner is, when done tactfully, considered socially acceptable; saying "this costs ten times your salary" once you're there, on the other hand, is pretty universally understood as being an ass.

Two: Starting from the assumption that workplace relationships are not entirely verboten (there is some disagreement here, but I don't think they are per se), employer-employee relationships in particular are incredibly difficult to approach in a safe and healthy manner. For instance: Inviting someone you're flirting with to an expensive dinner is normally accepted courtship behavior; but if they're your employee it's basically impossible for that to not have an element of—if not coercion, than at least the implicit possibility of coercion, which is basically relationship no-no #1.

...Those are the two essential problems here, more or less. I hope that clears things up a bit.

I'm a bit disconcerted that you thought I was objecting to the very concept of dinner invitations, frankly. Dinners are nice. Context is important.

Y'all should know how MCs tend to be in these manga. They disregard social status and a phrase that is seen common in manga is "Food tastes better when eating with someone.". It is as simple as that, no need to overthink it.

Dex-chan lover
"Why is this girl, who I'm bringing out on dates to highly expensive restaurants while specifically flaunting how expensive they are by expressing it in terms of multiples of her salary, acting strangely?" No reason, maybe she's cat-Canadian. Fucking moron.

On another note, the sea does not have a smell (as long as it's clean, that is) and it's definitely not going to stick to your clothes unless you hung around a fishmonger all day.

Users who are viewing this thread