Gift - Vol. 1 Ch. 3

the symbolism confused me a bit. i cant decode it. was the Devil Kei that was crying in the shadow of the bright Angel Kei supposed to mean theres pain behind every happiness he feels?

@iniidahero no I think he was looking back on his past at that moment. Because in his memories when he was going through his adversities, he was strong-willed almost defiant, making witty comments as he "played his video game", which by the end of the chapter we realize was him looking at the rest on the world through tv screens so that he could detach himself enough to keep moving forward. Anyways, when he feels the joy of being cared about after winning that sparring match, he recalled the lonely feeling that used to dwell in him as he watch life go by. The kid in front of the tv is a farce. He wasn't really detached at all. The demon in the shadow is probably how he feels and he used to waste away in his own shadow. Is what i believe. I don't think it is a response to the happiness he felt in that moment. Though maybe he's not sure how to accept happiness. Since he pretty much skipped his childhood, he probably doesn't have enough emotional development to know how to decode himself, express what he feels and understand emotions.

@iniidahero maybe he feels like he shouldn't experience happiness though. Like he doesn't deserve it? He was surprised in the earlier chapter that only his brother was being arrested by police when he was allowed to be free.

Users who are viewing this thread