Golden Bat - A Mysterious Story of the Taisho Era's Skull - Vol. 1 Ch. 1 - The Golden Bat

Dex-chan lover
So is this considered a continuation of the series or a remake?

Dex-chan lover
Golden Bat has been through all kinds of remakes and reimaginings. I'm just glad that the artstyle for this is really hitting hard and it's got a bit of goofy in it with those Golden Bat brand Cigarettes. I'm just hoping they don't shy away from showing the Golden Bat

Dex-chan lover
Absolute Cinema
MV5BZTcxZDRjNzEtNDNjOC00OTAzLTg3MmMtZGIwOGUzYmVkY2I1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDU5NDcxNw@@._V1_.jpg

MD@Home
Interesting first chapter, looking forward to how this develops.

Though there was one odd translation choice- cents instead of yen. I get that the conversion rate was very different back in the Taisho era, but localizing currency always stands out to me.

Group Leader
@SentientJDAM, that's a really good point, in fact I'll go change that.

@Xzayer, as Dragonbolt03 says, there's just so many iterations. It seems like it's its own thing. I don't think there's any previous version where the mechanics are set up like Ultraman; a superpowered entity resurrecting a dead human as a conduit for physically fighting the badguys.

@Dragonbolt03 you probably know this already, but those are a legit, real world cigarette!
images

Last edited:
Group Leader
Thanks for the comments all.
I have a question for you all. I don't know if I want to go back and re-do 40+ pages, but wanted to know what you prefer for the sound effects. I see there being four options, one being to just completely ignore them, but otherwise:

1. continue how I have with the sound effects next to the original. The reason I'm doing that is because the sound effects are pretty integrated into the art in this series. To completely cover them over with the English effects could get messy. And no I'm not going to digitally remove the original art. Not unless you want to see this come out in 2060!

2. put the effects right on top of the originals.

3. put them as a note at the bottom or side of the panels.

Like I said, I don't know if I'd go back and redo all the panels, that's quite a bit of work. But I'm curious what readers generally prefer.
SOUND-EFFECTS.jpg

Group Leader
Another option would be just a basic text translation next to the original without trying to mimic the art style like this:
( I kinda like this idea because I feel like I'm covering up too much of the art in Option 1 and 2)

SOUND-EFFECTS-2.jpg

Power Uploader
Another option would be just a basic text translation next to the original without trying to mimic the art style like this:
( I kinda like this idea because I feel like I'm covering up too much of the art in Option 1 and 2)

SOUND-EFFECTS-2.jpg
I would personally say go with this if you don't want redraw them, frankly all previous options look terrible since they look tad distracting but this one at least service-able if you want sfx still there, I would still highly advocate for sfx to be redrawn considering quality what matters the most at the end of the day

also there's missing bubble text in page 5 https://mangadex.org/chapter/a97407cb-a18e-482c-bdc2-8b88da5162cd/5
good luck with your endeavors

Group Leader
I would personally say go with this if you don't want redraw them, frankly all previous options look terrible since they look tad distracting but this one at least service-able if you want sfx still there, I would still highly advocate for sfx to be redrawn considering quality what matters the most at the end of the day

also there's missing bubble text in page 5 https://mangadex.org/chapter/a97407cb-a18e-482c-bdc2-8b88da5162cd/5
good luck with your endeavors
Yeah I think you are right about the text, sans redrawing. I appreciate the feedback!
Thanks for the heads up on the balloon! And that's the page I have to edit anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread