Golden Kamuy - Vol. 24 Ch. 237 - Underwater Breath-Holding Contest

Double-page supporter
What Shiraishi wants to do and Sugimoto's reaction are hillarious 😅

Dex-chan lover
I love the bit about the sturgeons. I'm kind of an aquarium geek so when i saw them I was like ohhhhh damn

Quick correction to the note at the end.

2.5 meters is NOT 12 feet. It's a little over 8 feet. At first, I thought the idea of a 24 foot sturgeon was a typo, but a bit of research shows that there was a sturgeon caught over 23 feet and almost 3500 pounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beluga_(sturgeon)#Size

It should probably be 3.5 meters. I thought the typo was one thing and the size was exaggerated, but it was actually the other thing and the research was legit.
You know, I really appreciate these little notes at the end of each chapter. It really helps show just how much research goes into this very weird manga, and it's a shame that the official releases don't do something similar. I think I'm going to go back and save every glossary note because it would be a shame to lose them.

That underwater Shiraishi scene was amazing. Could barely concentrate on the rest of the chapter from laughing so much.

Group Leader
@Crosonical

Thanks for the correction! Not sure how I made such a silly mistake and didn't notice! I must have gotten mixed up with all the numbers I was throwing around. I've re-uploaded the chapter with the corrected number in the glossary. Thanks again, and we're glad you like the glossaries so much!

I've always loved how Sugimoto isn't the best fighter and nearly always gets hit first or thrown through a wall but if plot weren't a point, he'd destroy all his enemies.

Dex-chan lover
@Oured No, it's not.
If the author wanted to make a reference to that he would have drawn more details to it, like something floating mid-way (the dollar bill) or simply having Yoshitake be butt-naked and in a similar pose or with a similar face expression... you're just reading too much into it.
It's just Yoshitake with his dumb face being there for the following comic relief scene.

That's brutal death for Boutarou's henchman... I'm glad Sugimoto let Boutarou lives.

Dex-chan lover
@RyoSaeba "Reading too much into it," sure.
Noda adds constant references and easter eggs of western media on almost every chapter. It was just a guess, not a dissertation on the metaphorical meaning behind it.

Dex-chan lover
@Oured
I know he does, that's the main reason we have our glossary/trivia page at the end of every chapter, that's nothing new... and that's why if that was a real reference he would've added way more details into it, like he usually does!
No need to feel attacked and go all defensive about it haha

Users who are viewing this thread