good starter anime

i recently finished watching demon slayer, and i want to watch more anime. i've seen a couple other shows before (soul eater, parasyte, saiki k., darker than black, fruits baskets and ouran), and i want to watch more. any anime recs that are easy to watch are greatly appreciated ! :)

As I always say, go to the classics.
Monster, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain.....
They are classics for a reason.

Dex-chan lover
I really don't know what to suggest for people who are just starting out, but some of the first anime that I watched were the original Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, Full Metal Alchemist, Sailor Moon, Astro Boy (I grew up with the 00s series, don't know about the others), FLCL, Gundam Wing, and uh, Speed Racer? Old re-runs on Boomerang I think.

First anime was BLEND S. two-three years ago and I got roped into this weeb crap. Amazing.
That's right. My first anime was a seasonal.

The best starter anime are usually non otaku bait.

So for each genre it would be non fanservicey and not a lot of honorifics or anime tropes.

Long list, hidden in spoiler:
Action: Attack on Titan or Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous

Adventure: Hunter x Hunter or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Romance: The Ancient Magus’ Bride or Violet Evergarden

Comedy: Grand Blue or Daily Lives of High School Boys (most comedy anime are tropey beyond belief)

Slice of Life: Laid Back Camp or K-On!

Psychological: serial experiments lain or Texhnolyze

Isekai: a more otaku oriented genre but you could watch Youjo Senki/The Saga of Tanya the Evil or Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Battle Shonen: Yu Yu Hakusho or Jujutsu Kaisen

Stories aimed at mainly older audiences (seinen): Sing Yesterday For Me or Kakushigoto

Fantasy: Goblin Slayer (D&D, ep1 has a rape) or Dororo

Philosophical: Girls Last Tour

Historical: Vinland Saga

Female Oriented Romance: Ore Monogatari/My Love Story

Industry Insight: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!

Adult Romance: Watakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku

Mecha: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Political: The Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Sem

Dex-chan lover
If you've just finished Demon Slayer and want something similar, I'd recommend My Hero Academia, Blue Exorcist, or Soul Eater! Checking out other shonen anime is always a safe bet. I've also heard Jujustu Kaisen is popular right now? I've only read the first chapter so I'm not sure if it's good, but tonally it seems about on par with Demon Slayer.

If you want to try expanding your genres a bit, honestly I'd say just pick a season from last year and look at a list of all the anime from that season and read their descriptions. Watch the trailers for the ones that interest you. If not the trailers, openings are also a great way to quickly get the feel of a show.
You can pick up a lot of information about what you like just from the visuals, even if it's subconsciously. Even if the show turns out to be awful, I think the overall experience is still fun. Some of the most memorable shows I've seen started out really strong and interesting, and then had the most baffling plot twists mid season.

I don't think Evangelion is a good starter anime. Even now I still don't get why he
masturbated on Asuka in the hospital scene.

I'd probably go with some some easy to understand stuff. I usually recommend sports or action since I found that it's the easiest to get into.

Starters:
Haikyuu (Sport - Volleyball)
Kuroko no Basket (Sport - Basketball)
Hajime no Ippo (Action - Sport - Boxing)
One Outs (Sport - Baseball)
Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru (Sport - Track)
Cowboy Bebop (Action - Scifi)
Psycho Pass (Action - Scifi)
Drifter (Action - Fantasy)
Jormungand (Action - Military)
Black Lagoon (Action - Military)
Log Horizon (Fantasy)
One Punch Man (Action)

Here's my personal favorites:
Detective Conan (Mystery - My first Anime)
Mushishi (Fantasy)
Assassination Classroom (Action)

Considering stuff you've watched I'll also pick up:
Clannad (Romance - Drama - I only really like the 2nd season but I recommend watching both)
Mob Psycho (Action)
D-Frag (Comedy)
Grand Blue (Comedy)
Gintama (Action - Comedy)
Hinamatsuri (Comedy)
Chiio-chan no Tsuugakuro (Comedy)
Shirobako (Great insight in anime production)
Bakuman (Romance - Manga production)
Asobi Asobase (Comedy)
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (Romance)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Romance - Comedy)

Oldie but Goodie:
Great Teacher Onizuka (Comedy - School life)
Kekkaishi (Action - Supernatural)
Ghost Hunt (Horror??)
Claymore (Action)
Hitman Reborn (Action)
Baccano! (Action - One of the few animes with a great eng dub)
Angel Beats (Drama)
Pumkin Scissors (Action - Military)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Mecha)
Genkishen (Comedy)

Here is my Myanimelist list, I only watched a few animes this past 2-3 years but it should still be good. https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Skielum?status=7&order=4&tag=

@wowfucktron

Lol, I skimmed through it cause I ain't reading a damn report for a scene I watched years ago... but yeah I have a rough understanding of why now. Its convuluted asf though. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread