Goodbye, My Rose Garden - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - The accomplice smiles at me

Banned
Oh, for heaven's sake, translator. If they're explicitly referencing Wilde, you could at least express "unspeakable love" as "the love that dare not speak its name".

Group Leader
@Darkenning
I'm sorry, I didn't even know about that. The Chinese version said literally "Unspeakable love".
I'm not English and when I was at school we barely studied Wilde. I didn't know it was the phrase of a poem from Douglas, I thought Wilde literally said that.

Fed-Kun's army
Cmon ladies, you really couldnt be bothered to get out of the windows view when you know Edward is on the lookout? 😂

Resident Yuripig
Contributor
I already know this is not going to end well, but the journey hurts, too...
Also @sha-tan, since now you know that's what Wilde actually said, can you at least fix the page so that it's correct?

Dex-chan lover
Thank you for translating! ❤️

That double-page kiss is so beautiful. I hope it's not only suffering from here on. Please let them be happy together!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation once again @Sha-tan

Oh god, with all the drama going on, this won’t be an easy task, right?

Dex-chan lover
@Sha-tan

If “love that dare not speak its name” can't be fitted, then a marginal note would be a good idea.

When an author working in the source language literally means to cite a work in the target language, it's of course best to use the original of the cited passage. But, when an author working in the source language means to allude to a work in the target language, then matters potentially become more nuanced; if something was lost or added in the author's translation, then fidelity to the work to which allusion was made results in infidelity in the translation.

EDITED TO RECORRECT AN ERROR FIXED WITHIN THE FIRST FEW SECONDS, BUT THEN RESTORED BY THE SERVER FAILURE.

Dex-chan lover
Perhaps a change of locale is in order for these two. How about going to, say, Japan?

Edward’s face is telling us something: he doesn’t seems mad, more like sad (? so will he say something about?

This is a painful love, but man is just beautiful:’) Fate I guess

Dex-chan lover
@icekatze

This story is set during an interval in which Japanese culture had adopted a more hostile attitude towards homosexuality, largely based on a perception that the presumedly more modern Western world had such an attitude.

There really aren't happy same sex love stories set in this time period as a rule. It's simply true to life unfortunately. For a much more modern but still historical yuri manga set in Japan, consider Moonlight Flowers. It shows a somewhat realistic take on same sex love during the time the work was written, and it really goes to show just how much progress has been made. My heart breaks for the people of the past that couldn't follow their heart in matters of the heart.

(◍•ᴗ•◍) @Sha-tan thank you so much for your effort and your hardwork too, I'm excited when seeing the new chapter, thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread