Groundless - Vol. 6 Ch. 23 - A scene for the taken pawn

Ok guys, what's the consensus on tank girl? This whole situation is messed up, but she almost got MC killed.

It’s funny, I did notice Ridley was pretty good and emotionless but I didn’t expect her to become Sophia’s rival.

It fits though. Emotional sniper versus cold sniper.

Dex-chan lover
Tank girl shouldn't have been placed anywhere near command of anything. "They're just white people." "Retreat, don't shoot." "Let them die." She only started fighting when her little brother literally died in front of her and even then she fired on friendly troops. If she been replaced with anyone or anything else (even a boiled cabbage) hundreds of people would have lived.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

@Arugel
Consensus is that not just War Is Hell, but civil war is like, double hell? Super hell? Give me a hand here.

@Bavaria
There are multiple additional volumes out, and more this year. No spoiling but upcoming arcs look great too. In no way is it cancelled, it's just a ton of pages per chapter and /ak/ had a very 2020 year like all the rest of us.

Dex-chan lover
@SteveJust
@Arugel

The tank girl is basically the worst possible case of someone who enlisted just to get basic necessity, using nepotism to climb up in rank and fighting in a war she didn't really believe in.

And while i am not impressed on her as a character, I must admit her action really conveyed what this manga about. Civil war/revolution is a bloody mess.

I need to remember to re-read at least a few chapters before whenever a new one is out for this manga. I was so lost. Damn this goldfish memory of mine.

Dex-chan lover
God, this has been an intense and hard to understand at times battle.... though real battles are often a mess

Dex-chan lover
Whenever I read particularly well written and intense war stories, fictional or otherwise, my mind always drifts back to Ovid's Metamorphoses, as translated by Rolfe Humphries. Nobody has better put what it means when hell is brought to earth. And what it does to people.

The Iron Age succeeded, whose base vein
Let loose all evil: modesty and truth
And righteousness fled earth, and in their place
Came trickery and slyness, plotting, swindling,
Violence and the damned desire of having.
Men spread their sails to winds unknown to sailors,
The pines came down their mountain-sides, to revel
And leap in the deep waters, and the ground,
Free, once, to everyone, like air and sunshine,
Was stepped off by surveyors. The rich earth,
Good giver of all the bounty of the harvest,
Was asked for more; they dug into her vitals,
Pried out the wealth a kinder lord had hidden
In Stygian shadow, all that precious metal,
The root of evil. They found the guilt of iron,
And gold, more guilty still. And War came forth
That uses both to fight with; bloody hands
Brandished the clashing weapons. Men lived on plunder.
Guest was not safe from host, nor brother from brother,
A man would kill his wife, a wife her husband,
Stepmothers, dire and dreadful, stirred their brews
With poisonous aconite, and sons would hustle
Fathers to death, and Piety lay vanquished,
And the maiden Justice, last of all immortals,
Fled from the bloody earth.

It's simple language. But maybe that's the only way to do it. The only way to describe the total breakdown of society and justice is by describing what happens in plain language. You can call it hell - the absence of the light of god - and that's technically accurate. If god is to be found anywhere at all, it's certainly not there. But I think that calling it hell leaves too much up to the imagination. Most simply can't imagine how awful it is until they're given a glimpse into that pit. And when they get that glimpse, they're so surprised, disgusted, and horrified because the capacities for violence and cruelty which exist within the average person defy the imagination of somebody who has never been forced to confront them. It's why I value well told, well researched stories like this. We're better for having engaged with it.

And that is my half asleep post-work 2AM rant. Thank you.

Wait, I lost count of the tanks.

One was destroyed in the previous chapters.
Finke & Agatha deserted (2 tanks).
Dark-skin tank girl shot the bell tower to avenge her brother but still loyal to army.
Side to side with her there is a second tank, Bergen(?).

In the last pages Agatha and dark skin have a close range shooting, army tank girl wins.

So deserters got the 1 tank that escaped while army has 2 left?
Why does she believe they'll get discharged (apart the lack of reactions in battle), they are the only tankers left to the army in the town.

Still, thanks for the translations. The manga is really good but the lack of insignia and camo in some parts sometimes confuses me a bit.

Edit: surprising how the army is carefree, sometimes not taking the battle seriously (and getting stolen a lot of stuff, especially the AT) and trusting the wrong people; while they distrust the Dacia garrison that is presenting a better choice

Yay! We made it! From now on chapters are 30+ pages instead of 80+. Lets hope we will get new chapters more frequently.

Long-strip supporter
-promised Dacia a tank and her crew for the help of the sniper
-has a platoon of outdated tanks and a crew of questionable loyalty
Looking forward to the 2 groups meeting and the chaos that will ensue.

Damn this is confusing as fuck. At this point the re needs to be an explanation chapter or atleast 3-4 pages of summing up.

Users who are viewing this thread