Completed [Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel] chapter renaming + volume renumbering

Contributor
Manga link

There's a lot of work to be done to clean up the metadata of this manga, so I thought it would be easier to make a thread here instead of sending a report with lines and lines of explanation.

Chapter renaming (1)​

I'll only be covering English chapters here, and only the ones that need renaming. Knowing the proper chapter names should make it much clearer when it comes to volume renumbering.

Chapter names​

Ch 12 [Easy Going Scans]: Day 4 / The Holy Grail War, And Its Beginnings (1)
Ch 14 [OHpress scanlations]: 4th day / The beginning of the Holy Grail War (3)
Ch 15 [OHpress scanlations]: 4th day / The beginning of the Holy Grail War (4)
Ch 16 [OHpress scanlations]: 4th day / Intruder
Ch 17 [OHpress scanlations]: 4th day / The end of the Makiri (1)
Ch 18 [OHpress scanlations]: 4th day / The end of the Makiri (2)
Ch 19 [OHpress scanlations]: 4th day / The answer is only in the ending (1)
Ch 20 [OHpress scanlations]: Day 4 / The answer is only in the ending (2)

Notes​

For Ch 14-15, OHpress only translates the title on Ch 15, so I'm extrapolating backwards. By the way, although these two have a different translated name from Ch 12 & 13, they're all still part of the same superchapter Ch 12-15.
For Ch 16, OHpress doesn't translate the title at all, but it's pretty simple katakana.
For Ch 17-18, OHpress only translates the title on Ch 18, so I'm extrapolating backwards again.
For Ch 19-20, OHpress switched to using all caps, so I'm extrapolating from their chapter name translations of Ch 15 & 18 that if they didn't, they would use sentence case.
For Ch 20, OHpress legitimately just switched from "4th day" to "Day 4", I have no idea why. If consistency is preferred over preservation, then Ch 14-19's prefixes can be changed to "Day 4" too.

Chapter renaming (2)​

For Ch 21-40, there are no translated chapter names. Additionally, these scanlations are numbered like the magazine release but use pages from the volume release. Usually this would just be a case of matching chapter numbers with the magazine release, but the official raws page infuriatingly only shows the most recent chapters. However, there is still something we can use to deduce chapter numbering which I'll get into later. I also found this Mechacomic page which has a different numbering (each subchapter is 10 or so pages, unlike the magazine release which can have wildly different chapter lengths) but might still be helpful.
For now, I'm going to transcribe the Japanese chapter names from BookWalker and then suggest chapter names in English, taken from this web version of the Fate/stay night visual novel if possible.
Also, from now on, # will indicate a chapter in the volume release which I'll refer to as a superchapter (i.e. a chapter of chapters), and Ch will indicate a chapter on MangaDex.

Chapter names​

Vol 4 #12: 5日目/桜について
Ch 23 switches to #13 on Pg 25, so how do we know it belongs under #12? Well, the official raws page says Vol 4 ends on #13-2, which means there must only be two chapters under #13. Thus the remainder must be under #12.​
Chapter names:​
Ch 21: Day 5 / About Sakura (1)​
Ch 22: Day 5 / About Sakura (2)​
Ch 23: Day 5 / About Sakura (3)​
Sakura is the heroine of this manga.​
Vol 4 #13: 5日目/冬の娘
There are two uploads of Ch 25. They're the exact same except for a typo on page 7 in s3rius152's upload, which is corrected in KaleidWinter's upload. Since they're so similar, I think it'd be appropriate to consider them duplicates and remove s3rius152's upload.​
Ch 24: Day 5 / The Daughter of Winter (1)​
Ch 25: Day 5 / The Daughter of Winter (2)​
This chapter name refers to Illya.​
Vol 5 #14: 5日目/微熱カプセル
Vol 5 #15: 5日目/マラク・アル・マウト
Vol 5 #16: 5日目/ディザスター
Vol 5 #17: 5日目/形のない島
Vol 5 is a bit more sketchy, since the official raws page says it starts on #14-1 and ends on #17-2, which is impossible since there are only five chapters here. However, if we look at Ch 30 on MangaDex, we can see it contains all of #17 and then some, so there's no way there can be another chapter under #17.​
Ch 26: Day 5 / Cold Medicine Capsule (1)​
Ch 27: Day 5 / Cold Medicine Capsule (2)​
Ch 28: Day 5 / Malak al Maut​
Ch 29: Day 5 / Disaster​
Ch 30: Day 5 / Shapeless Island​
Vol 6 #18: 6日目/桜の看病
This superchapter actually perfectly aligns with Ch 31-33, no extra reasoning required.​
Ch 31: Day 6 / Nurse Sakura (1)​
Ch 32: Day 6 / Nurse Sakura (2)​
Ch 33: Day 6 / Nurse Sakura (3)​
Vol 6 #19: 6日目/冬の城
Vol 6 #20: 6日目/beautiful (Ⅰ)
Ch 36 switches from #19 to #20 on Pg 7. However, if we look at the Mechacomic page for Vol 6, #19 is split into three subchapters and #20 into four, so there can't be fewer chapters under #20 than under #19. Thus, Ch 36 should be under #20.​
Ch 34: Day 6 / Winter Castle (1)​
Ch 35: Day 6 / Winter Castle (2)​
Ch 36: Day 6 / Beautiful (I) (1)​
Ch 37: Day 6 / Beautiful (I) (2)​
Vol 6 #21: 6日目/勇者の死①
Vol 7 #22: 6日目/勇者の死②
The scanlation switches back to pages from the magazine release in Ch 40, and its chapter name actually 勇者の死③. However, we know this is supposed to be the same chapter as #22 because it looks the same as the first few pages of Vol 7's BookWalker preview. Thus, Ch 39 must be 勇者の死② and Ch 38 must be 勇者の死①.​
Ch 38: Day 6 / Hero's Death (1)​
Ch 39: Day 6 / Hero's Death (2)​
Ch 40: Day 6 / Hero's Death (3)​

Volume renumbering (1)​

Finally, volume renumbering. I've checked all the chapters in other languages and their numberings are basically perfect. It's mostly the English chapters that need fixing (there are a few from other languages that I'll mention). For brevity, I'll only list the volumes with chapters that need to be renumbered.
(In case anyone is wondering, volume release numbering is used by Portuguese (Br) and Hungarian, while magazine release numbering is used by English, Spanish, and Russian. The sole Indonesian chapter is just...chilling, I guess.)
So, without further ado:

Volume numbers​

Vol 1: Ch 0-2 (Including Ch 0 in Indonesian)
Vol 2: Ch 3-9 (3-5 is #3, 6-8 is #4, 9 is #5)
Vol 3: Ch 10-16 (10-13 is #6, #7 was added in the volume release so it doesn't correspond to a chapter, 14-15 is #8, 16 is #9)
Vol 8: Ch 46-56 (56 is #31. It's the only chapter that needs to be moved to Vol 8, the rest of this volume is fine. Also including Ch 56 in Spanish (LATAM))

Volume renumbering (2)​

Vol 9 and 10 are a bit complicated. Checking Vol 10's BookWalker preview against MangaDex chapters shows that the volume actually starts on Ch 71 Pg 6. I'd say that the whole chapter should still be part of Vol 10 though.
Also, chapter names start to diverge drastically around this point. There's no chapter named サナギ in the magazine release, but since we can see there's no 10日目 chapter in Vol 10, Ch 86 cannot be in Vol 10.
Thus, this is how it should be:

Volume numbers​

Vol 9: Ch 57-70 (Including Ch 57, 58, and 59 in Spanish (LATAM))
Vol 10: Ch 71-85

Miscellaneous​

Some other errors I noticed when looking through this manga:
  • Ch 00 in Portuguese (Br) should just be numbered Ch 0
  • The chapter name of Ch 52 in Russian should end with ③ instead of ②
  • All of the Spanish chapters should be under Spanish (LATAM) instead because they're all under the scanlation group KamiNoFansub whose focused language is Spanish (LATAM)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread