Gushing over Magical Girls - Vol. 2 Ch. 6

Utena is the best "evil" magical girl!
But this Magenta girl is pretty brave.
Also thanks to the translator team as usual!

Dex-chan lover
I gotta say I'm super not a fan of the translation of "stan". Yeah I know what it means (though apparently a good few people didn't) but it's a shitty term, even if it probably does summarize the MC pretty well as a fanatical obsessive fan.

That said everything was cute in this chapter.

Wait, so the "stan" thing is some meme translation line? I thought it was just the usual sort of error from going from Japanese to Korean to English using Google Translate.
Somehow I'm even more disappointed.

Double-page supporter
have a feeling this is gonna get really dark...just once id like to read a magical girls comic that doesnt get all twisted after a few chapters. hope it doesnt happen here i really like this setup atm

Fed-Kun's army
Subarashii.

I guessed "stan" was a slurring of "understand," but it's not clear if it's some meme.

Dex-chan lover
@Piyerus
I normally think Helvetica does good work, and it makes me even more disappointed in them for this.
That was the worst possible page to make me to stop and I say "I have no fucking clue what this line says". It completely ruined the pacing of the chapter.
I still have no idea what it actually means, even if another comment roughly translated the "translation".

Dex-chan lover
It is complete BS, what she is saying in the original is "そんなの 推せる" which can be translated to 'i support/endorse that'. I guess it can also be translated to 'i am into that'.

Fed-Kun's army
Given the nature of the girl's... distraction issues, one would think one of the first memes that might come to mind would be " I can fap to that," since it expresses support and she's obviously thinking it, even if it isn't exactly what she says. A less meme-ey translation might be, "I can get behind that," or something to that effect.

You would have been better off having "That's my fetish" than "I stan that"

Dex-chan lover
The word "stan" means "being a fan of" or "loving something too much".

Pretty sure it came from an Eminem song titled "Stan" where Em played as "his biggest fan", Stan, who loved Em so much that he ended up killing himself just to get Em's attention.

Group Leader
ITT expert TL's that aren't in scanlation groups, yet have an expert grasp of the Japanese language, yet are reading the manga in english.

Eh I actually have to look up what a stan is lol.
Anyway, having reading the raws right after it's out and waiting for the translation somehow makes it less impactful, but Magenta's typical pink attitude and Azul's way too much interest excitement on what Base do to Utena is just pure comical.
Next raw chapter should be up next friday if anyone's a fellow raw reader like me.

@kurisu
@atgc
Yeah I know they translated that sa-lfa as sulfur and ba-se as baiser, but I'm waiting for official confirmation on the latin name lol.
If yes the yellow one should be color coded, too.

I decided to go into the raws and check out the "I stan that" line, though my JP isn't really great so take this w/ a grain of salt.

The original quote is "そんなの推せる" (Sonna no oseru). "Sonna no" means "something like that" w/ the no particle added to make sonna a noun (since on it's own, it's an adjective). Oseru (推せる) is the potential form of the verb Osu (推す) which in this context means "to support." Putting it together, we get a sentence like "I can support something like that."

The thing that makes this kinda iffy for me personally is that "sonna" can also indicate strong feelings towards something. In context, it does appear to be strengthening the statement, but this is where my lack of JP experience comes up since I can't be confident about it. Personally, I just defer to the translators here, who are probably better than my N4 ass. It could be worded better, but "I stan that" is relatively accurate.

EDIT: Whoops I just realized I spent 30+ minutes on this trying to decipher the secrets behind sonna. This is why I don't scanlate lmao.

The sooner Utena manages to retain the spine she has while fighting and uses it to turn the tables on that insufferable bat the happier I'll be.

Dex-chan lover
@Bentoki
The problem isn't what they got from the Japanese, it's the English they turned it into.
Using the latest meme from Facebook or Twitter or wherever this "Stan" thing is from is bad scanlation practice, as evidenced by all of us who needed it to be translated into actual English in the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread