Gyakusatsu Happy End

Double-page supporter
I'm not completely gripped so far, sort of teetering on the edge. Hard to articulate why, but I'm just not emotionally invested. Perhaps it just feels a little contrived or the characters don't feel like real people.
I think it suffers from the usual pacing problems of Japanese serialization, having to squeeze too much into the very beginning in the hopes of avoiding cancellation before it gets off the ground. It's really hard to get someone emotionally invested in a character's struggle in just a chapter or two, so having a bunch of drama right at the start may not have the impact it ideally should.
The dying sister is a nice twist on the usual time loop trope as it adds a ticking clock that means he can't just infintely abuse it.
Overall, I hope more time is spent fleshing out the mc's character into more of a developed human being.

Very good manga at the start indeed. I'm grateful the scanlation of the manga is completed on all volume. But unfortunately, it's not in English..... On top of that, this manga is rotten for 2 years in Russian translation....

@ParanoiaAgent are you sure about that?

Dex-chan lover
After reading the whole manga (in Russian) I can say that it was much, much better than I expected. Brutal mangas have a tendency to get dumber and more meaningless as the story goes, as well as the story in them just being dragged on for forever. Nothing of this happens in "Massacer Happy End". The story logically leads to the conclusion, you can clearly see the planning behind it, and it still only has about 50 chapters.
Other than this, the concept overall is intriguing and is never forgotten about, no other mystical powers or such come in play, it is pretty straightforward.
The cast has a whole lot of characters, some of them are really charismatic. My only concern is that they are pretty two-dimensional, which is okay, because the focus of the story is the main character, but it is still a shame. In contrast, the main character and his motivation, as well as his mental state are shown very well, really makes you feel sorry for him, while making you question his methods.
As I said before, the story is written very well, every new element leads to a logical conclusion, while not dragging the attention away from the main plot. There is some number of twists that keep the story interesting. Most of these twists are very good, some of them are questionable, but not completely outrageous.
I'd give this manga an 8/10, not a total masterpiece, it has some clichés, but it's still a really, really good read. I hope it gets translated to English at some point.

Dex-chan lover
It says there are 55 total chapters but the raws show 108, you guys might need to edit that unless I'm wrong and overlooking something

498ed76be651cffb6bb9bac6a9bb75c3.png

yeah they definitely should put gore tag ... also sad that the english chapter has only translated to 6 chapters awe this seems really interesting

HUGE SPOILER
He made it to the end and gets killed for sake of breaking the curse.

Users who are viewing this thread