Haiiro no Onmyouji - Ch. 25 - Fire and Transient Pt5

Dex-chan lover
I'm annoyed at this type of MC.
Starts decent, but grows increasingly more whiny and less confident every time he appears.

I have no problem with characters growing their skill and confidence slowly, but this one is on the reverse course.
It gets old way too fast.

It's not even like he was strong then got traumatized. His background is that he was traumatized then grew his strength and confidence... then dropped them at the start of the story.
Last time, it took someone dying for him to suddenly remember that he's strong. Kinda. Using the penguin. Because now he's worthless as a pure exorcist.
They've done it once, it was bad and it should be enough. If we're going to go through the same thing again, I'm dropping this.

In comparison, another normal human, presumably talented... as he was supposed to be... but still a complete beginner... now is just curb-stomping everybody with a few weeks (or was it just days?) of training. For stupid reasons, but that might have to do with organizational brainwashing so I'll overlook this.

Supporter
She used to be a kuragiri... until she took a spear in the boob.
Sorry, couldn't resist. Jokes aside, I'm surprised mc this time was so distracted he couldn't focus on protecting one person.

Dex-chan lover
One detail I'm unsure of.
The MC was supposed to be talented, yet so far he has only displayed usage of the base ability that all exorcists have. The "yin-yang portal" that can connect two locations... or cut something.

But every high-rank exorcist has an elemental specialty, refining their portal with specific properties that help handle one of the elements. So either he was so strong with his base ability that he didn't bother specializing... or he was too weak to discover his specialty for years while the girl here found hers in days.

The second option would likely annoy me quite a lot, unless it's properly justified. Right now, it just feels a little off. The author better be clear about this sometime soon.

Dex-chan lover
what happened to the mc
where is all that "if you are going to kill somebody you gotta be ready for the possibility that you may be the one killed" dialogue

Users who are viewing this thread