Hajime no Ippo - Ch. 1432 - The Ideal Partner

Dex-chan lover
That's exactly what I'm thinking, and what I meant by "hand-waved away". Convenient excuse out of thin air to justify it :\ Just seems kinda lazy to me

I think after having a history of decades of chapters to build up to various fights, you should probably give Morikawa some more credit.

People can't complain Morikawa keeps dragging the story and doing endless buildup, then complain there isn't any buildup.

Ippo can do it. The Dempsey roll is inherently neither orthodox nor southpaw, neither is the peekaboo style. He doesn't use jabs at all, or any other type of punch that specifically requires a favored side. He's trained to use all his signatures on both sides, and done so in actual matches. And yes, his continued self-training and internalization of other fighters is a factor.

Also, I am certain they will bring up that not being a natural south paw, Ippo is only 80~90% of a match. It's still the best option they have. Since when did this manga go for "silver bullet" solutions? Never.

But yeah just lazily handwave that all away yourself, why don't you.

Dex-chan lover
I think after having a history of decades of chapters to build up to various fights, you should probably give Morikawa some more credit.

People can't complain Morikawa keeps dragging the story and doing endless buildup, then complain there isn't any buildup.

Ippo can do it. The Dempsey roll is inherently neither orthodox nor southpaw, neither is the peekaboo style. He doesn't use jabs at all, or any other type of punch that specifically requires a favored side. He's trained to use all his signatures on both sides, and done so in actual matches. And yes, his continued self-training and internalization of other fighters is a factor.

Also, I am certain they will bring up that not being a natural south paw, Ippo is only 80~90% of a match. It's still the best option they have. Since when did this manga go for "silver bullet" solutions? Never.

But yeah just lazily handwave that all away yourself, why don't you.

Whatever you say. You seem to not know the difference between "build up" and "oh, how convenient"...and I'm too worn out to try to engage in a debate about that with you.

Dex-chan lover
Whatever you say. You seem to not know the difference between "build up" and "oh, how convenient"...and I'm too worn out to try to engage in a debate about that with you.

Whatever you want to term it as, it's hardly "convenient". I certainly don't want to debate semantics with you either, if that's all you've got to substantiate your position.

Dont call others lazy in their work when you've got nothing to stand on, and better yet, too lazy to back it up yourself.

Ippo's NOT a southpaw, though...so this doesn't make any sense at all. He used southpaw style ONCE, back near his debut match. You can't really learn to be a southpaw effective fast enough for the world level...

But maybe this is just something that's going to be hand-waved away anyways.
Ippo's basically a mini-Mike Tyson and one thing that he was known for is "Shift Hitting". Ippo likely won't be able to do strong punches with his non-dominant hand, like a switch hitter, but will be able to do jabs and quick hooks with it, as a means to get in close to his opponent.

Dex-chan lover
That's exactly what I'm thinking, and what I meant by "hand-waved away". Convenient excuse out of thin air to justify it :\ Just seems kinda lazy to me
Ippo has never favored one side or the other though. He uses the peek-a-boo where you can comfortably switch stances and where you can easily turn into southpaw because you're squared up against you're opponent (and in this case, it's the best they got).

If you don't remember that's fine, Morikawa haven't gone into his style in a while but this was informed all the way from the first time Ippo found his style (maybe not as in-depth in this particular matter but it was there).

In other words, You can deduce that Ippo was the best fit as Mashiba's sparring partner ever since we were told what his opponents style was.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread