Hajime no Ippo - The First Step - Vol. 123 Ch. 1231 - Qualifications To Be A Pro

Fed-Kun's army
Just what is Morikawa doing with this series? It's so confusing.

If Ippo is truly gone from the ring forever, then it's a heckuva pessimistic angle on the story. Like, “the hero is broken and now everything is crap for everyone forever, all dreams are dead, go home”. Of course there are vibes that make it seem like it's shifting to a new generation, where Ippo the Coach will take that bully kid under his wings… but if that's the case, these past several chapters feel like excessive wallowing in pity. Like, we get it already, it's sad to see Ippo quit, but if there is a generation shift coming, it could be done cleaner. For example, stop making Ippo keep wearing those weights that make him into a superman that's practically made to return to the ring.

And if Ippo is coming back, which I don't really expect, that's some pretty heavy trolling from Morikawa. Like, dude, Morikawa, if you are planning Ippo's un-retirement, you don't have to push the diversions that hard. Aiming for a surprise is one thing, but now it's like Morikawa's saying “Ippo is out, no joke, not trolling, totally serious, believe me, he doesn't even wanna box no longer, stop expecting anything”… so if Ippo does come back, maybe it won't feel like a surprise as much as Morikawa just betraying the reader's trust.

That said, I do wanna see Ippo back in boxing…

Dex-chan lover
I think it's best that Ippo do not go back to boxing, because the plot now focuses on Ippo becoming a Second, or possibly be a coach. It's a good path considering the health risk for Ippo being mentioned repeatedly throughout the story.

I do hope that Ippo will have a talk with MIyata, make sure he realizes that Ippo can't go back to boxing forever, and wants him to move up, like what Sendo told Miyata before, or to avenge Gonzalez.

din

I don't mind if ippo is gone from the ring forever (which i doubt).

Dex-chan lover
Ippo is gone, is just that the other characters and readers have yet to accept this and see him and accept him on his new role outside and next to the ring.

I think Ippo gonna take the bad guys as boxer and not the weak one. Because they way he draw the bully is too clean for it.

Dex-chan lover
you guys don't see the vision cmon Ippo and Miyata pine for each other in the ring and it won't be until Miyata reaches the world stage or even becoming the champ that Ippo will return to the ring where they will have the fabled bout and the series concludes. It's literally a match made for the final arc of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread