Hajime no Ippo - The First Step - Vol. 129 Ch. 1303 - A Good Friend in Mexico

Aggregator gang
@juanan I agree. "Machismo" is seen as something bad. It's a narrow minded way of thinking, focused on men, bragging and violently imposing themselves without any regard of the well being of others and turning women into nothing more than servants or objects. They should have gone with "muy macho" since it means, someone "extremely brave" or at least "Valentia" (braveness).

THIS FIGHT WAS SO FUCKING AWESOME AND THAT DAMN REF DARES TO STOP IT!

@juanan yeah but we mexicans don't say "cojones" and "hombria" it doesn't have the same impact in our language, "ser macho" in mexico in the old times (like in the manga time this manga is set up) it meant "the pinacle of being a man", yeah with the time "machismo" and "machista" the word has been runned to the ground because of the toxic masculinty, but "machismo" as a mexican is a better word that those you said, because of the impact on the language.

NIB

Dex-chan lover
Machismo is a wrong word to describe what is happening here, the best is calling "tener huevos".

Dex-chan lover
ok so im not the only one who thinks that the word "machismo" doesnt fit properly

Dex-chan lover
Using the word "Machismo" is not wrong, it sure has the meaning they intend to use here, it's just that it doesn't really fit for two reasons:
1.- We (mexicans) don't really use that word that much, so see the mexicans in the manga using it like it's a common thing feels weird.
2.- Between the values and characteristics of Machismo, the regard of homosexuality as a weakness and as something worth punishing, as well as the obsession of the gender roles is VERY prominent, so to use that word to describe male mexicans would really be calling them homophobes and sexists.

But I guess for the context it's not that wrong, boxing is a really "manly" sport and boxers are obsessed with training their bodies, be strong in body and mind, never surrender and value victory over all.

Good grief, there are some real dopes in these comments. No wonder things are getting so bad out there, with such crybabies running around.

Machismo means sexism/homophobia in spanish, it means male superiority. It seems machismo is also a word in english when I google it "strong or aggressive masculine pride" sounds better, but in spanish Machismo is not the appropiate word for that, I don't know if they are using the spanish or english word but either manly or "varonil" would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread