Halal Food with Me and My Little Brother

Background, I am a Muslim from Indonesia, used to travel to Japan for an International Conference. My PhD is in IPB University / Bogor Agricultural University, majoring in Human Nutrition.

@darknesstouch09 That is new to me.

But, based on my short time in Japan, I can say for certain that

Japanese takes the halal law wa~y more seriously than Indonesia.
[ul]I did not even know a non-halal soy sauce did exist[/ul]
[ul]When travelling abroad, I usually did not care much whether my food is halal, as long as it not haram. There is no expectation for me that my portions of beef have been prepared according to halal standard. So, when I am going to Yokohama in 2015 and learn that they have no halal food stall, I am not flustered.

But, I do surprised that a Japanese Government delegate came to IPB University to learn about halal certification establishment a year later. That is the first I know that Japan did not have a halal governing body until 2016, CMIIW, please. Even more surprising for me is, that we learn they have the wa~y more complete and sophisticated infrastructure for halal food processing and certification compared to what we have. In hyperbolic term, I believe that Japanese only need to add Bism Illah to their current system to conform with the halal standard. There is no need for a big change in community behaviour either, they already accustomed to say a prayer before and after a meal.

My reaction is exactly the same as the Isekai Goddess who is surprised with how robust the hero preparation is. :p[/ul]
(^▽^)

Aggregator gang
Feel like maybe chapters should be merged together.
Cute concept. Honestly what Malaysian food I've had is pretty delicious. Spicy though.

This is going to be an interesting one. Well, I lived and born in Malaysia (Yes, I'm Malay) So I'm quite curious about how this one will turn out to be.

@nomadicengi

Unlike SEA soy sauce, the Japanese soy sauce (pure 100%) consist of alcohol. Well you can't blame them since they have their own methods to make Japanese soy sauce.

@BeGo
That’s surprising to learn. I’m Pakistani Muslim, and we adhere a lot more strongly to dietary restrictions, at least all the people I know. But then again, we’re pretty strict with faith anyway. Like if there is no halal meat in the foreign place, we simply don’t eat meat. Instead we eat fish, or go vegetarian/vegan for the time that we are visiting the foreign place.

Group Leader
Wait why the english version has stopped at chapter 4? Please upload more ! UwU

Dex-chan lover
So Muslim Halal food gets introduced in a manga.
That's interesting to say the least. I hope we get more.

I would love to see other authors also doing something similar but with other dietary restriction that aren't health related e.g. Hindu's abstain from cow Meat, and Judaism's Kosher, etc.

Yeah japanese are pretty xenophobic so they wouldn't have a clue what a muslim would eat.

Am a Malaysian (though not a Muslim). So I am surprised to see a Malaysian family featured in a Japanese comic.
Very interesting family dynamic too. Will be looking forward to more updates by sensei and also translator. Thank you!

i think this manga is made for upcoming japan olimpic. many muslim will coming to japan after all

Dex-chan lover
Wait what! As a Malaysian and with how prevalent pork and sake used in Japanese cooking I would only dream on this kind of manga being realized.
I even look at the author thinking it was Malay but that is clearly a Japanese name lol
Thanks Sendiri Scans.

@Sparklepink12K I can't say for every Malaysian Muslims, but generally we also avoid meat altogether when overseas same as you.
In some of major cities you can still get halal meat though and we got lucky some Malaysian students there show us the way.

Users who are viewing this thread