Hanebado! - Vol. 9 Ch. 42 - It Was a Miracle

KCS

She forgave her, but pretty much wants nothing to do with her on a personal level anymore, so kind of like how the anime ended but far more satisfying. I don't expect it to last though, because Ayano is too good for this shitty world.

Group Leader
can someone remind me of what connie and ayano's relationship is like rn? the anime messed up with my memories and i forgot XD

but wow, i love the direction ayano/hanebado is going in, especially compared to the anime. the mom is defined as an obstacle for ayano to overcome

and to get this straight, connie is like, the only kid the mother has adopted, right? >.>

Seeing Ayano talk to her mom was sad, her reaction is kind of heartbreaking. But there's so many layers to it.

Dex-chan lover
now the way she's dealing with her mom is a lot better than what they did with the anime

honestly i wish they would have held off from making the anime so then they could have followed the manga fully cause the manga is soooo much better

but who knows i would love for them to make more anime of this series but take out all the anime original bs and keep it fully with that manga as it should have been

Dex-chan lover
@landstalker @KCS
But didn't you get the impression that there's still a path open to contact?
Ayano challenged her mother, suggesting that she is better than her (at badminton). I wish she had told her mother that she would never play with her again. Badminton was her excuse for everything she did to her daughter, Ayano should at least punish her banning badminton.

Dex-chan lover
@Panino
I get what you mean, but more than being on friendly terms, I got the feeling that, at best, she'd be willing to start on a clean slate.
The vibe I got was more along the lines of "I forgive you. You did what you had to do. You're my mother, but not my family right now". Ayano has come to terms with the way her mother "raised" her, so to speak

I think everyone saying she wants nothing to do with her mother has it wrong. I think she is saying once she can meet her mom on equal terms as a badminton player she will meet her. It seems more like Ayano is saying she won't reunite with her again until she reaches her new goal.

@Beastkun the manga was already at 60+ chapters when the anime came out. We are just seeing these now because no scanlation groups even picked it up until the anime was announced and then the one that picked it up was releasing at a snail pace until this current group took over. The anime just decided to do its own thing and ended up screwing up.

Seems to me like:
Mom tried to raise her normally, but gave her badminton addiction because that's what she knows how to play -> Mom left her because either she was worried about Ayano's character (of not being able to handle a loss or wanting to be praised and see badminton as a means for it, not an end), or she thought that doing so would be somehow more efficient for Ayano's growth as a player (if Uchika did stop believing in Ayano's potential, she wouldn't try raising more athletes to compete against her) -> Ayano tries her hardest to win at badminton hoping that this will bring her mom back -> loses all motivations she had to keep playing, gives up for a while -> Elena and Kentarou get her to play again, Connie and Kaoruko bring back mom's memories to Ayano (Ayano probably felt replaced by Connie, Connie probably felt threatened by Ayano, at this point in time, both of them wanted Uchika's attention) ->
1) Ayano wants to surpass her mom (giving herself a goal to replace her original one of meeting mom), which isn't going to be easy, she's a 10 times national champion, and cut the bonds between them, with the badminton she gave her (mom might ultimately accept this, because she wanted to push Ayano's potential to its limits, once Uchika recognized it, probably fully accepting the consequences of losing Ayano as a daughter, for the sake of Ayano as the player she wanted Ayano to become; Uchika might've done this out of enjoyment for the sport -- the thing that has taken most of her time and became her way of life --, or to see Ayano go even farther than she did -- in this case, a bit of selfish projection, an attempt to continue enjoying badminton even after she herself can't compete on it, through Ayano, or even as a way to make up for any regrets she might've had as a player), or
2) Ayano trying to surpass mom is still Ayano trying to deal with mom's absence, in a way, Ayano might want to prove that her mom isn't good enough for her, not the other way around.
In a way, Connie and Viggo are interesting characters because of their similarities with Ayano and Uchika, respectively. While Uchika continued putting effort on Ayano, Viggo gave up on Connie; While Connie probably puts effort for Uchika's attention (like Ayano once did), Ayano had her former motivation taken away from her.

Fed-Kun's army
i'm feeling 'your lie in april' kind of vibe with ayano and her mom.

@shadowbringer at this point I am not even sure if the author knows what Uchika's motivation was.

In the early chapters, everything Uchika left for Ayano hinted that she wanted her to make friends. As if Ayano's obsession with badminton and the fact that she saw her mom as more of a coach than a mother prevented her from making friends and living a normal life.

Then in later chapters, we find out Uchika's been training other players to send up against Ayano to make her a better badminton player....and she also let herself get used by the weird dude with the hat to motivate Ayano. However, after Uchika's talk with Ayano's dad, it seems she's having a hard time figuring out what she wants, and having a hard time facing Ayano herself. The way Connie called Ayano and asked her to come over makes me think Uchika is trying to build up the courage to face Ayano again, but Ayano is basically saying, she isn't ready to reunite because she thinks it may just get in the way of her new goal. I think Ayano wants to get to the point where she is at least her mother's equal in badminton, and by that point their relationship can move beyond just being about badminton.

Dex-chan lover
Well done, Izumi. You did really great, however way you look at it. You fully deserved this victory.
If Yuika can talk a conscience into Ushika she is truly fearsome.
And then everything suddenly turns grimdark.
Where the hell did that one panel of Connie saying Ayano isn't worthy to be Ushika's daughter come from? I don't remember that!
Personally, I get the impression Ayano isn't closing any doors for the moment, but she doesn't want to deal with Ushika's bs for the moment because things might get ugly if they really talked atm. It was clear she was feeling anger toward her mother. And sadly Connie seems to have been caught in the middle because after Ayano talking to her so coldly you can bet Yuika is going to have to wipe away some tears.
It's partly Connie's fault really, although it's understandable because she's so fragile, she really should have talked more openly to Ayano when they first met and created a deeper bond between them.
I think Ayano just wants to concentrate on life with her friends and working for the nationals right now.
I feel sad for the three of them. I hope they can work things out.
I wonder how this conversation would have gone had Elena known who was on the other side of that phone call.
I hope in the next chapter Elena makes Ayano talk about the phonecall with her.
It's clear she feels bad about not having been able to help Ayano with this in the past. She also might salvage this situation somewhat by at least having Ayano talk to Connie.

Dex-chan lover
@mimicking Ayano and Connie were in bad terms during the Match(Connie assumed that Ayano was looking down on her and tried And failed to win against her) but then they talked, clear the confusión and became "like sisters" in short, they were in very good terms and said that they wanted to play again and talk... Nothing like the shit trash of the anime.

This chapter was great, when Connie said "hey can you come and cheer up your mother? She feels bad :(" I understood how naive she was about the shitty mom, but Ayano said more than what I could've hoped for! In my mind she said "go fuck yourself" but a clear and straight "I don't need you anymore" was better... And of course instead of saying "I'm sorry" like an adult or a real parent she only though about it and said something selfish... Seriously I don't care about her real reasons anymore she is not a good person and I hope she stays away.

Really great chapter, thanks for translating.

Group Leader
so all the stuff that ayano's mom has done...is that all for ayano to get stronger?

Fed-Kun's army
@mimicking this is where the anime fail to convey this properly....in the anime the mom looked like she just left her without any explaination whatsoever but the manga is different as you probably know

anyway....god...i don't know what the mother felt she probably regreted the whole thing years ago .-.
she's fucked up and Ayano is pretty much broken now

a form of their bond she says... maam there IS no bond to take form at all lmao

Users who are viewing this thread