Happy End. - Vol. 2 Ch. 7 - Treated Like A Toy

Dex-chan lover
Is your mind breaking right now because you read about her 93 attempts? No? Then hers shouldn't be breaking either.
Why wouldn't her mind be breaking, when she realizes that nothing is ever-changing, and she just keeps reading about her death? When she fears all her deaths are for nothing?
And lastly, the monologue of Sayaka made very little sense when you remember the actual fact that she can't remember. One trip took 8 minutes and 40 seconds before she was stabbed in the neck. Who the hell is saying this? Sayaka? It must be her because it says "I" was stabbed in the neck. Past tense. In a note that cannot possibly exist. Because she was stabbed in the neck.
These are her monologues as she dies, it's that simple.
Completely side note, she took chemicals and "of course" they weren't there the next time? Not only is this building section apparently immune to the time leap, which was never said before, Sayaka feels like it's "of course" in this monologue note that she never wrote because she was killed.
She would have written that she planned on taking chemicals. But the next time she checked, there were no chemicals.

Dex-chan lover
Why wouldn't her mind be breaking, when she realizes that nothing is ever-changing, and she just keeps reading about her death? When she fears all her deaths are for nothing?

These are her monologues as she dies, it's that simple.

She would have written that she planned on taking chemicals. But the next time she checked, there were no chemicals.
It still looks like an overblown reaction. She has to first believe and trust everything written in those records previously happened and then believe that those things will happen to her. EVEN IF both those happen, she THEN has to feel desperation from it all enough to break. That's a huge leap.

If they are monologues as she dies, then Sayaka should feel zero connection to that because she doesn't remember. There's no mental strain on her because the next iteration doesn't remember.

I don't think that's a correct reading of the chemicals issue. Within one life, she took chemicals. Same life, she was killed before she could get the chemicals back to her hideout. She thinks/writes/monologues that "of course" the chemicals were not there in the next life. That doesn't make sense because she can't actually remember. It shows the issue with how the author presents her.

@Extreme-Tactician and @Coldlight

I mentioned this in my comment on the previous chapter, but this makes almost zero sense. Like, maybe a small, tiny amount of sense but otherwise almost zero.

Her mind breaking? What?

She says it herself in this chapter. She does NOT actually remember her past memories. She just writes "filtered" notes.

Is your mind breaking right now because you read about her 93 attempts? No? Then hers shouldn't be breaking either. I can understand a certain amount of desperation and suffering, but she should still be detached from it because she doesn't actually remember.

And it is NEVER said that she did 93 times ALONE. She might have. But the shadowy figure says it's only a matter of time before those two return. That could imply it's a total of 93 times they visited, both of them together.

And lastly, the monologue of Sayaka made very little sense when you remember the actual fact that she can't remember. One trip took 8 minutes and 40 seconds before she was stabbed in the neck. Who the hell is saying this? Sayaka? It must be her because it says "I" was stabbed in the neck. Past tense. In a note that cannot possibly exist. Because she was stabbed in the neck.

Completely side note, she took chemicals and "of course" they weren't there the next time? Not only is this building section apparently immune to the time leap, which was never said before, Sayaka feels like it's "of course" in this monologue note that she never wrote because she was killed.

In the end, the writing style looks awkward. The author is trying to go for this emotional pull of suffering and loneliness. I can feel that for someone like Alan's, but this made so little sense for Sayaka. I see a person who has read a book and then started breaking down. That doesn't really make sense on a deep level and looks like the author is being cheap.

---

And just to make this clear to anyone who says I'm just whining. I do generally like this story. I'm going to keep reading. But things like this do detract from it. These are issues the story has.
I agree. There are some things Sayaka shouldn't have been able to record, much less remember.

If I have to guess, when she reads stuff on her journal, the emotions she felt at the time kinda comes back too, but idk.

This manga has a great hook, but the writing is wonky. There are indeed some inconsistencies.

Dex-chan lover
It still looks like an overblown reaction. She has to first believe and trust everything written in those records previously happened and then believe that those things will happen to her. EVEN IF both those happen, she THEN has to feel desperation from it all enough to break. That's a huge leap.
Why is it a huge leap? She sees dozens of pages of recordings that are in her own handwriting. It'd make sense she would believe them that way.
If they are monologues as she dies, then Sayaka should feel zero connection to that because she doesn't remember. There's no mental strain on her because the next iteration doesn't remember.
In my opinion, we're simply seeing a montage of her dying and her musings as she dies. It's not her recording it down. She even mentions she will forget everything once she dies.
I don't think that's a correct reading of the chemicals issue. Within one life, she took chemicals. Same life, she was killed before she could get the chemicals back to her hideout. She thinks/writes/monologues that "of course" the chemicals were not there in the next life. That doesn't make sense because she can't actually remember. It shows the issue with how the author presents her.
I checked back, and not what it says. The textbox says she brought the chemicals home, so clearly, she was able to record that.

Dex-chan lover
Why is it a huge leap? She sees dozens of pages of recordings that are in her own handwriting. It'd make sense she would believe them that way.

In my opinion, we're simply seeing a montage of her dying and her musings as she dies. It's not her recording it down. She even mentions she will forget everything once she dies.

I checked back, and not what it says. The textbox says she brought the chemicals home, so clearly, she was able to record that.
It's a huge leap because she doesn't actually remember. It would be a feeling of disbelief. Let me put it in different terms. Let's say you saw hundreds of pages of your own handwriting saying things that don't really make a lot of sense, things about you dying and things you don't remember. Would you feel like Sayaka? Do you think you would feel overwhelmed from you reading your handwriting? It's an unrealistic thing to happen in the real world, but I feel like a real person would still feel a disconnect, a disbelief. Sayaka does not.

I just end up disagreeing on the montage.

You are right on the chemicals. I had misremembered that, but I think it was a mistake that still works in my favor. First, she still said "of course" they weren't there the next time. I mentioned in my first post that the "of course" still makes no sense because we have never been told this room is apparently immune to time leaps. So Sayaka saying that part makes no sense. Second, she says home, not base. The term she has previously used for the base is "sealed house", which is distinct from "home". Plus, the sealed house is a far distance from school, while her home is nearby. Given that she said she was killed shortly after, I have to guess it meant she took the chemicals to her normal house and then got killed.

Dex-chan lover
It's a huge leap because she doesn't actually remember. It would be a feeling of disbelief. Let me put it in different terms. Let's say you saw hundreds of pages of your own handwriting saying things that don't really make a lot of sense, things about you dying and things you don't remember. Would you feel like Sayaka? Do you think you would feel overwhelmed from you reading your handwriting? It's an unrealistic thing to happen in the real world, but I feel like a real person would still feel a disconnect, a disbelief. Sayaka does not.
This was all covered in chapter 4. The only person who could have written in her journal like that is herself. And it says to retrieve her memories in the sealed house, and there's so much info about herself and her friends in her own writing, it would be impossible for her to not believe it. Sure maybe at first she's in disbelief, but we don't really need to waste time seeing that.
I just end up disagreeing on the montage.
That's just what is displayed, I don't know what else to say dude.
You are right on the chemicals. I had misremembered that, but I think it was a mistake that still works in my favor. First, she still said "of course" they weren't there the next time. I mentioned in my first post that the "of course" still makes no sense because we have never been told this room is apparently immune to time leaps. So Sayaka saying that part makes no sense. Second, she says home, not base. The term she has previously used for the base is "sealed house", which is distinct from "home". Plus, the sealed house is a far distance from school, while her home is nearby. Given that she said she was killed shortly after, I have to guess it meant she took the chemicals to her normal house and then got killed.
Shortly after can mean anything. It's a month-long time loop, it could be several seconds or several hours after wards for all we know. We can ask the translator what the raws say, at least.

Dex-chan lover
Sure maybe at first she's in disbelief, but we don't really need to waste time seeing that.
But the problem is that it's "at first" she's in disbelief every single time she starts the loop. Just as an example, why didn't she break down after 92 loops? Why 93 specifically? Because she read one more entry in her notes? I mean, that additional page maybe could have been the tipping point. But that would just feel arbitrary given that she starts with disbelief every single time.
That's just what is displayed, I don't know what else to say dude.
"Fifth attempt. Went as far as taking home chemicals from the clinic; I myself being taken out shortly after. Of course, the chemicals were gone in the next loop.""

"Eighth attempt. I was drawing up a floor plan of the clinic when I encountered them. Cornered, I fought back, but naturally got killed."

Your statement is that are her musings as she is dying. But that's not what's happening. Let's say you are correct about the chemicals issue, and she did record it in her notes before dying. The first quote about the fifth attempt is a different tone. It is about her notes, as you say, things she can "remember". But then it switches to something she literally cannot remember because she's immediately killed.

The reason why I say it's weird is because you'd think these would be the same kind of monologue. Yes, it's possible for her to just switch thoughts like that. It looks weird to a reader, though.

Dex-chan lover
But the problem is that it's "at first" she's in disbelief every single time she starts the loop.
Sayaka doesn't always start the loop like that. There are times when she never even enters the house apparently, like in the first chapter. So perhaps maybe, it's been more than that even! But the times where she doesn't loop don't matter, because those aren't recorded at all.
Just as an example, why didn't she break down after 92 loops? Why 93 specifically? Because she read one more entry in her notes? I mean, that additional page maybe could have been the tipping point. But that would just feel arbitrary given that she starts with disbelief every single time.
You're overthinking things dude. The point is, after 93 loops, she broke down when approached by Akane in such a cute way. Whether she actually remembered things or not, she just couldn't take it anymore.
"Fifth attempt. Went as far as taking home chemicals from the clinic; I myself being taken out shortly after. Of course, the chemicals were gone in the next loop.""

"Eighth attempt. I was drawing up a floor plan of the clinic when I encountered them. Cornered, I fought back, but naturally got killed."
I think that might be chalked up to a translation error then. Why not ask @Rhythm162 what exactly the raws said?

Supporter
Sayaka doesn't always start the loop like that. There are times when she never even enters the house apparently, like in the first chapter. So perhaps maybe, it's been more than that even! But the times where she doesn't loop don't matter, because those aren't recorded at all.

You're overthinking things dude. The point is, after 93 loops, she broke down when approached by Akane in such a cute way. Whether she actually remembered things or not, she just couldn't take it anymore.

I think that might be chalked up to a translation error then. Why not ask @Rhythm162 what exactly the raws said?
If you got a note tomorrow morning that said you'd already gone through that day and died a hundred times, even if you believed it completely, you still wouldn't experience the emotional weight of a hundred deaths. You'd be freaked out and nervous that you wouldn't get through the day, but you wouldn't suddenly be tired and frustrated and ready to break. The author wants to have it both ways - not let Sayaka keep her memories, but still score the drama points of having a character struggling for years.

Dex-chan lover
If you got a note tomorrow morning that said you'd already gone through that day and died a hundred times, even if you believed it completely, you still wouldn't experience the emotional weight of a hundred deaths. You'd be freaked out and nervous that you wouldn't get through the day, but you wouldn't suddenly be tired and frustrated and ready to break.
I think the problem here is that you can't emphasize Sayaka at all because you can't imagine what she's going through. That's how you would feel. That's not how Sayaka felt.
What makes you think Sayaka didn't already read about all the time she spent trying to solve the mystery but ending up going nowhere?

Users who are viewing this thread