Harukanaru Ring - Vol. 1 Ch. 9 - I Won't Yield!

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter. Small fun fact the reverse Frankensteiner is now called poisonrana now-a-days but cool to see them give credit on the move nonetheless. I appreciate you translated the afterwords from the author because I also got away from wrestling but recently came back to it in the last 5 years.

Thanks for the chapter. Small fun fact the reverse Frankensteiner is now called poisonrana now-a-days but cool to see them give credit on the move nonetheless. I appreciate you translated the afterwords from the author because I also got away from wrestling but recently came back to it in the last 5 year
yeah wrestling is a interesting translation challenge because it shares a lot of common jargon for the most part but some specific moves have very different names.

Like in this chapter Yu does a (sloppy) fisherman's suplex on Yoko.

But in the japanese it's called a "waterwheel drop" which in Western wrestling is a different move.

So like do you go with the original japanese or the move that English speaking fans would recognize?

I opted for the later since I'm going for a naturalistic translation, but keeping it as the original is also a valid choice.

Dex-chan lover
Mebbe 20 years ago the University of North Carolina anime club used the last page of this chapter for a flyer:

coup-ring.jpg

(the "evil" character was a club logo kinda, calligraphy by a professor from the Asian studies department back in the day)

Dex-chan lover
yeah wrestling is a interesting translation challenge because it shares a lot of common jargon for the most part but some specific moves have very different names.

Like in this chapter Yu does a (sloppy) fisherman's suplex on Yoko.

But in the japanese it's called a "waterwheel drop" which in Western wrestling is a different move.

So like do you go with the original japanese or the move that English speaking fans would recognize?

I opted for the later since I'm going for a naturalistic translation, but keeping it as the original is also a valid choice.
I appreciate it for real. You know game 🫡

I appreciate it for real. You know game 🫡
lol well I haven't watched much wrestling since the 90s, my age just lined up with this exact era of wrestling so I'm familiar with the vibes of the era. I'm afraid I am just Old.

The rest is research and asking a lot of puroresu forums and discords because people LOVE to info dump about that stuff.

Dex-chan lover
The rest is research and asking a lot of puroresu forums and discords because people LOVE to info dump about that stuff.
For real for real. Ask a wrestling nerd "Hey, why is this move called X in Japan but Y in the states?" and stand back to watch the floodgates open.

And yeah, Nakamura can draw like hell. Pretty sure he was a big influence on Daniel Warren Johnson's wrestling comic DO A POWERBOMB, I remember DWJ posting his copies of the tankoubons when the series was in process.

Users who are viewing this thread